Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
burningviolin

Re: Let's Help Make Old Ideas #1 Worldwide!!

Post by burningviolin »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/the ... 48258.html
The Irish times give Show Me the Place 5 stars on 'Shuffle' a guide to free downloads and audio streams.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
edlosi

Post by edlosi »

Another Rolling Stone article from Germany:
http://www.rollingstone.de/news/meldung ... cover.html
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Another one from Hungary.
The title is: Leonard Cohen - New Album From The Genius
http://hardrock.hu/?q=node/17726

Eva

And another today :)
http://www.mymusic.hu/20111205_leonard_cohen
Last edited by majmunka on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

In the most recent printed edition of Entertainment Weekly here in the USA (Issue # 1184 December 9, 2011 Steven Spielberg is on the cover) there is a short review in the new music section (Page 74, under the singles section) of "Show Me the Place". I looked for it online but it does not seem to be on the EW website, only in the printed magazine. My scanner is out of service at the moment and the artical is so short I'll just type it here word for word as it is printed.

LEONARD COHEN
"SHOW ME THE PLACE"
At 77, the man whose voice
falls somewhere between God
and James Earl Jones on the
Baritone Gravitas Scale sounds
as resonant as ever; his latest
is a stately, sonorous beauty.
A- -Leah Greenblatt

I like the "the man whose voice falls somewhere between God and James Earl Jones on the Baritone Gravitas Scale " line in the review. For a point of refererence for those who do not know who James Earl Jones is, he's the voice of Darth Vader in the Star Wars films and Mufasa in Disney's The Lion King. I think the line would work great as part of the printed promotional campaign here in the USA; The latest from "The man whose voice falls somewhere between God and James Earl Jones on the Baritone Gravitas Scale" Leah Greenblatt Entertainment Weekly. That should get some attention since God and Star Wars are two of the most talked about, and debated, subjects here in the States. :lol:
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Thanks, Bigdee, for the extra effort. And thanks to all who posted all the links to articles on the new album and song. Very much appreciated.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
B4real

Post by B4real »

Australia:
http://www.heyheymymy.com.au/2011/12/04 ... ard-cohen/
Hey Hey My My from Australia - reminds me of "My Oh My " :razz: ....but it's actually the name of Neil Young's song "Hey Hey My My (rock & roll is here to stay).
I copied it because it has a great photo :D even though it's unrelated to the album - I think it's possibly Prague 2009.
New Album for Leonard Cohen
December 4, 2011 by Andrew Watt

Leonard Cohen will release a new album in February. Titled Old Ideas it is his first album of new material in eight years and the twelfth studio album of his career.

The ten-track album can be preordered from Cohen’s website, where a stream of first single Show Me The Place, can be found. The album will cap a remarkable re-birth for Cohen who started touring a few years ago, reportedly due to financial necessity, and discovered a huge worldwide audience awaiting his return. The shows have been uniformly outstanding, including two Australian tours. Believe it or not it’s been 44 years since the release of Cohen’s debut album Songs of Leonard Cohen, released in December 1967.

Cohen has been progressing this album for several years, but first publicly described the album earlier this year when accepting an award in Spain.

“As I grew older, I understood that instructions came with this voice. And the instructions were these…Never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty.”

Cohen has worked with Patrick Leonard, one of Los Angeles most respected producers. Leonard also worked with Cohen’s son Adam on his recently released album Like A Man Cohen is joined on his album by some great singers including Sharon Robinson, Jennifer Warnes, Dana Glover and The Webb Sisters (Hattie and Charley Webb, who feature in his touring band). The album will feature cover art and drawings by Cohen himself.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

This nifty little item was in The Edmonton Sun this past weekend (which also ran excerpts from the official press release about Old Ideas, as did The Edmonton Journal, the day it was announced).
Attachments
Show Me The Place.jpg
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

LisaLCFan wrote:This nifty little item was in The Edmonton Sun this past weekend (which also ran excerpts from the official press release about Old Ideas, as did The Edmonton Journal, the day it was announced).
Isn't it interesting how that short article packed in some interesting observations to make it a little different from the pack.
Thanks, Lisa for posting it.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Slovenia - Slovenian Press Agency

http://www.sta.si/vest.php?s=s&id=1704434

At the end of January a new album by Leonard Cohen

New York, 10 decembra (STA) - The Canadian musician and writer Leonard Cohen will in January after a seven-year break released a new studio album entitled "Old Ideas". Album delivers ten songs, including the single "Show Me The Place", which had already be heard on radio stations. The album will also be songs by Cohen premiere at the last world tour. Cohen, as part of the tour also stopped last October in the Arena Stožice. As announced Cohen's Sony Music Publishing, will be songs on the album "Going Home", "Amen", the already mentioned "Show Me The Place", "The Darkness", "Anyhow," "Crazy To Love You", "Come Healing" "Banjo", "Lullaby" and "Different Sides". The latest album "Dear Heather" is Cohen published in 2004.
Yes, and thanks, for the trouble you took from her eyes
I thought it was there for good so I never tried.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Guys from Oxford Music Blog place Old Ideas at #2 among "(Hopefully) Great Albums Of 2012"
(December 5, http://www.oxfordmusicblog.co.uk/2011/1 ... s-of-2012/):
A true poet of his time and easily one of the most influential artists to emerge from the 1960s, 77 year old Leonard Cohen returns with his first studio album since 2004. Lead single ‘Show Me The Place’ indicates that his newest album will follow a similar path of his recent previous releases, with his trademark baritone pushed to the fore once again. Tackling typically evocative subjects as love, death and existence, Old Ideas should prove that although Cohen doesn’t rely on his astonishing poetic prose in the way he used to, he is still more than capable of crafting luscious and heartfelt poetic music. Old Ideas is available on the 31st January.
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Another "independent" musical site, Boiling Frogs Post:

A review by Sibel Edmonds:
On Finding the Place Where the Suffering Began

Here is a magnificent song from Leonard Cohen’s upcoming album ‘Old Ideas.’ I guess I have declared my infatuation with all things Leo Cohen to all of you. Our podcast shows begin with him, and then they end with him. Every favorite self-created album in my music list reflects the same: Leonard Cohen fits my world. His work fits my work. And his poems reflect it all.
When you are listening to this song pay attention to how he turns ‘the suffering’ upside down, and puts it in the right place where it makes sense. You know how almost always song lyrics, poems, and religions look for the point, the place, the utopia where the suffering ends? Well, Leo challenges all that with a purely logical line where he searches for the place where the suffering begins. Think about it, and think about the suffering today, that endured by us, and that inflicted in our name, on our behalf, around the world. Try and search for the starting points. Because how can we end something when we don’t even know it’s true beginning?
Okay, don’t get me started and too philosophical here. Just listen to this brilliantly written and composed song, Leo Cohen at his best (again!), and just enjoy it. Ok?
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. interesting.. I saw the name 'Sibel Edmonds' and wondered if she could be the same person I heard about just after 9/ll--the FBI translator who turned whistle blower, and at a time when it was especially dangerous to be doing that. Anyway, sure enough, she is that person. [as the website indicates under "Home"]

.. gosh, and she has good taste in music too.
Violet
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Intriguing, Violet!

http://www.boilingfrogspost.com/about-u ... l-edmonds/
Sibel Edmonds is the founder and president of the National Security Whistleblowers Coalition (NSWBC), a nonprofit organization dedicated to aiding national security whistleblowers. She has appeared on national radio and TV as a commentator on matters related to whistleblowers, national security, and excessive secrecy & classification, and has been featured on CBS 60 Minutes, CNN, MSNBC, NPR, and in the New York Times, Washington Post, Vanity Fair, The American Conservative, and others.
and so on
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Old Ideas was mentioned on the radio today.
According to what my mother told me, the radio guy praised Leonard for his career from the '60s to today and said that the new album is coming out in January and will be followed by a big tour (note that, not just a tour, but a BIG tour, he said :razz: ) and he also said he hopes Leonard will come to Athens as well.

Of course I just shrugged, but it is quite encouraging to hear the false news repeated everywhere.. :roll:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."

Return to “OLD IDEAS”