Old Ideas - the new album - January 31, 2012

Leonard Cohen's previous album (January 2012)
MarieM

Re: OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by MarieM »

To be honest, I'm not surprised that most of the new songs we got to know over 2009-10 will not make the final album. I imagine Leonard had a pretty large pool of material for the album by the end of the recording process. Not all songs can make the final cut and it then becomes a question of which songs go together best to make the album Leonard wants to create.
Amen, Wendy! Imagine having such a wealth of good material that some of those great new songs from the tour didn't make the cut. Well, we won't have to imagine for long. Personally, I feel nothing but gratitude. There was a time when I didn't think there would ever be any new material from Leonard again. Now we are being blessed once more. Another great day to be a Cohen fan.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

What GREAT news!!! Too bad that 'Feels So Good' doesn't seem to have made the final cut. Maybe it was just for a time or wasn't quite ready yet; perhaps it'll surface elsewhere again.

Spring 2012 can't come soon enough!!! *insert dancing smiley breaking into cartwheels*

Keeping hands-over-heart hope for a tour...
Will... If It Be Your Will
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thanks Jarkko for the update on the new album.
For me I am grateful for any songs new or old that Leonard will be recording.
How lucky we are! I can hardly wait! Its so nice to have something to look forward to.
Thank you Leonard!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
astranger

Post by astranger »

Awesome news! Finally something! Hopefully we can see a track list soon!
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
rike

Post by rike »

Great news! I look forward to whatever LC is choosing to share with us.
Thank you for creating the trellis on which anticipation can blossom, Jarkko.
"...A manual for living with defeat..."
TineDoes

Post by TineDoes »

musicmania wrote:
LisaLCFan wrote:I, too, am excited by the fact that all (but one) of the songs on Leonard's new album will be brand new (despite my inital surprise at the omission of the other "new" tour songs)! The more new songs, the merrier! It's almost more exciting this way! We can still listen to all the live recordings of those other great songs that we've come to know and love, plus we'll have a whole album of new material, so we have the best of both worlds! Leonard is spoiling us! (Thank you, Mr. Cohen!)
Exactly my thoughts Lisa. While it would have been nice to have these songs on an official record we have the many videos and fan recordings of these songs to listen whenever we choose. Liking the fact it means even more new songs to look forward to :D
Quite so! Wonderful news. Thank you Jarkko
"There’s no forsaking what you love ...."

Rotterdam 2008; Antwerpen, Dublin 2009; Gent 2x, Lille , Las Vegas 2x 2010, Gent, Amsterdam, Dublin 2x 2012, Antwerp, Berlin, Rotterdam 2013
Angel of Compassion

Post by Angel of Compassion »

Hallelujah !!!
I was waiting and waiting for the miracle to come...
kokenpere

Post by kokenpere »

Hi Jarkko -

Does Leonard's touring band perform on Old Ideas? Did Ed Sanders engineer or produce the new LP?
I am looking forward to this with great anticipation and expectation. - Michael
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Thank you for this news Jarkko. I can only imagine how great this new album will be if Leonard left out some of the best songs he has written in the past few years.

Spring fever is upon us. :D :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
canuck

Post by canuck »

Excellent news. The Darkness is a great track. I'll miss what he might have done with Lullaby however.

Leonard never releases a song until it's been polished to perfection, so we can only assume he's doing more polishing on those other songs. Let's hope we see them someday in the future.
Caren

OLD IDEAS - THE NEW ALBUM

Post by Caren »

Good news.

Thanks Jarkko. I am very glad The Darkness has made it onto the album and I can see why the others haven't. If the other songs on the album will be anything like The Darkness this may turn out to be his best album yet.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Henning

Post by Henning »

For meself it feels so bad that it feels so good won't be on the album. The Darkness represents the darkness, the moment when you lack inspiration for a good tune.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
zodkavombie

Post by zodkavombie »

Thanks for that, can't wait just like everyone else :D
O2, 17th July and 13th November 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009, Barecelona 21 September 2009, Lille 25 September 2010, Las Vegas 10th and 11th December 2010, Wembley 9th September 2012, Paris 29th September 2012, O2 London 21st June, 15th September 2013.
Diane

Post by Diane »

I echo the disappointment re. Born in Chains. I now feel very glad to have it on bootleg. If that song is a reject, the album's going to be really something!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

He could put Born in Chains out on a single for us.
Can't wait for Spring now to hear whatever he put on the new cd.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “OLD IDEAS”