Vinyl revival

This section is for all other music-related topics
Pete

Vinyl revival

Post by Pete »

The other day I decided to revisit my LP collection.
I chose 4 LPs which I had a longing to listen to again and I indulged myself for the entire evening.....listening to the LPs :D

The 4 LPs were

Vangelis - Earth
Marillion - The Thieving Magpie
The Enid - In the Region of the Summer Stars
The Nice - Elegy

and what an enjoyable evening it was.

There is something to be said about the beauty of vinyl (even the surface noises :) )
Each album is approx 40 minutes. CDs can sometimes be too long and too many 'fillers'
No random tracks.. the album is designed as a sequence of songs. Sometimes side 1 can be quite different to side 2 - by design.
Yes..the sound is smoother.

There are some LPs for which I have since obtained the cd versions but many remain 'hidden'in my collection..... ready for a revival (although some need not see the light of day again!)

For those of you who are old enough to have an LP collection....

Which 4 LPs would you ressurect and place on your turntable?? (presume you have a turntable for the sake of this question :) )

Pete
Tom Elson

Post by Tom Elson »

The thing with LP's is that they are no longer practical. When the time is right I plan on putting together a nice system in a nice sound room and by some nice LP's recorded on analog in the first place.

1. Tom Waits "Mule Variations"
2. Bob Dylan "Love & Theft"
3. Bruce Springsteen "Born To Run"
4. Leonard Cohen "Recent Songs"
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

I'm thoroughly ashamed to be too young to have any LPs (or even any recollection of having any), but i really want a good collection. There are plenty of places in Dublin to buy records, good ones too - I saw 'Songs of..' one day, but i have no idea where to buy an actual record player :cry: . I've tried to fix the old one at home to no avail and I'd just love to hear certain albums the way they were intended.
smccallon

Post by smccallon »

patti smith "easter" (if only i could find this on vinyl...)
tom waits "nighthawks at the diner"
frank zappa "overnite sensation"
talking heads "more songs about buildings and food"
Ghoti

Post by Ghoti »

Woohoo! Found another dusty old record player knocking about the house and was able to fix it up :D . Unfortunately the only record I have is a beaten up old 'Kriss Kross' single from about 1990 that skips with every sentence. Next time I'm in Dublin I'll go on a shopping spree; I want, when asked, to be able to say that "Songs of Leonard Cohen" was the first record I ever bought ('cos I'm too embarrased about the first album I ever bought :oops: ). Any suggestions as to albums that are just plain better on vinyl?
chappelle

Post by chappelle »

Over the last fortnight I've been zealously duplicating my LC LP collection on CD like a man on a mission. Three remain Songs Of LC, Songs of Love and Hate... and Greatest Hits.

If I could resurrect my turntable I'd probably be playing these LP's:

Led Zeppelin 4 (The one with Stairway)
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline
Ted Hawkins - Watch Your Step

I figure I have'nt heard any of these in over 10 years. :shock:
One Of The Guests

Dear Heatheron LP?

Post by One Of The Guests »

Does anybody know if Dear Heather has been released on vinyl?
Diane

Post by Diane »

Pete, your mention of Marillion got me listening again for the first time in over a decade! Marillion were fantastic in the Fish years, weren't they?

Alas I threw away my turntable some time ago. I am a bit of a minimalist, and tend to chuck out things I never or rarely use. For a similar reason I also sold most of my vinyl record collection about ten years ago. "You'll regret it," warned friends. And I do. Oh, how I do. Too late now though.

Having said that, if you blind-folded me and put on some music and asked me whether it was vinyl or disc I am sure I couldn't tell the difference.

What I would play, given the opportunity, would have to be my 'most-played' from way back then, which I think might be these:

Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell

Neil Young - Harvest

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic

Good Wishes,

Diane
tomsakic

Re: Dear Heatheron LP?

Post by tomsakic »

One Of The Guests wrote:Does anybody know if Dear Heather has been released on vinyl?
No. And again no (we already asked). Unfortunately.
philo

vinyl revival

Post by philo »

.... its just so frustrating when one visits a charity shop/boot sale and sees an l.p one has coveted for years but the record player has joined the great turn table in the sky.............. ho hum
life is the school, love is the lesson.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Philo,

nice to see you here :D

You can in fact buy turntables now in lots of places, and they are not expensive. We bought one a year or two ago. It's relatively easy to wire it into your normal hi-fi stereo speakers.

Margaret
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Phil 8) :D ! Great to see you~!

I wasn't going to say "lots of places," as that hasn't been my experience here; but at least they can still be found. I just got another one the other day, as mine died a couple years ago ~ I beat it into submission with a hammer, to get a cd of Leonard that it was trying to take to the grave with it :evil: !

So, go ahead and buy those coveted albums, and you can for sure follow up with a turntable, at some point!

~ Lizzy
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

On vinyl:

Let it Bleed - the Stones
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Harvest - Neil Young
Mozart's Requiem - Herbert von Karajan conducting

Desert island pics all. But, as there's only four allotted, I'll take these. Hmm. I might trade one for a truly great female vocalist, but there are so many. It makes it hard to choose.

Linda.
drsing

Re: Dear Heather on LP?

Post by drsing »

tomsakic wrote:
One Of The Guests wrote:Does anybody know if Dear Heather has been released on vinyl?
No. And again no (we already asked). Unfortunately.
What about this one :?: :?:
Afbeelding 1.png
:roll:
Last edited by drsing on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
Davido

Re: Vinyl revival

Post by Davido »

And this:
DHvinyl.jpg
DHvinyl.jpg (4.63 KiB) Viewed 2505 times
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx

Return to “Other music”