A part of history for sale (Bird on a Wire)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
bene449

A part of history for sale (Bird on a Wire)

Post by bene449 »

The original 281 reels of the film Bird On A Wire will shortly be going up for sale, to be sold as individual reels to Leonard's fans. 280 reels contain parts of the film and the last reel contains footage of Leonard as a child. Steve Machat and Tony Palmer have requested that these historically important items are sold to Leonard's fans. Each reel will be authenticated by Steve and Tony. The reel that you buy will be the only one of its kind in the world. Discussions will take place next week to discuss the price of each reel etc. Leonardcohencafe will be handling the sale. Watch this space!
More info, please email me on vince@leonardcohencafe.co.uk
musicmania

Re: A part of history for sale (Bird on a Wire)

Post by musicmania »

Now that is what I call interesting news!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Steve and Tony could easily have sold these to a big organisation, and they have had plenty of offers. However, they want these to be sold to and enjoyed by the fans.
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Alas, there's no way I can afford it but how awesome would it be to own that nekkid swimming scene to drool on :D
Eva :oops:
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

majmunka wrote:Alas, there's no way I can afford it but how awesome would it be to own that nekkid swimming scene to drool on :D
Eva :oops:
Eva behave ;-)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

But what is the format of the reels? 16mm? 35mm? Not videotape anyway. So the purchaser, if an individual, is unlikely to be able to view the content.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Forgive me if I'm being cynical, but I can't help wondering why these reels are not being given or sold to the archive or library which owns Leonard's papers? What can be the point of splitting these reels up to sell to fans except to make money out of them?
Sue
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

sue7 wrote:Forgive me if I'm being cynical, but I can't help wondering why these reels are not being given or sold to the archive or library which owns Leonard's papers? What can be the point of splitting these reels up to sell to fans except to make money out of them?
Sue
I have the same "wondering."
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Sue,
If you knew Steve Machat, you would know that he isn't interested in money. He is currently involved in writing a new book about different aspects of religion, and is a very spiritual person himself (he may have been a rock and roller in his younger days). His father was the biggest lawyer in Hollywood and Steve, himself, is a qualified lawyer.
He has already been offered a large sum by Sony, and turned them down. The amount of money this sale will raise is relatively small in relation to what he has been offered by various people/organisations.
If you feel that this should be sold to an archive, i am happy to discuss this with them. Please could you forward me their details, if you have them.
I feel what Steve and Tony are doing is very honourable. The easy option would be to pick up the phone and sell the reels to someone who will lock all 281 reels in a safe, and forget about them. This is what happened before.
Selling to fans will take a lot of work, lots of expenses in advertising etc, and for a lot less money.
bene449

Post by bene449 »

You might wish to remember that these reels were originally kept together by someone we all know, for the last 40 years......and he pretended to all that he didn't know where they were.
Surely, you don't want that to happen again.

A fellow fan has just emailed me the following. You might be interested in reading it:
"As if Steve and Tony should pay for all the restoration costs, be threatened with Legal action and then kindly donate the restored film back to Leonard?? I don't think so!"

vince@leonardcohencafe.co.uk
Christiane

Post by Christiane »

My first impulse was "Oh, I'd like to buy one of the reels." We even own an old 16mm projector, So we could be lucky
and be able to view the film.
But my second thought was that it's absolutely false to split the reels up. I agree with Sue that the reels should be kept
together and be given to the library that owns Leonard's papers. As far as I know that is the University of Toronto.

Christiane
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

sue7 wrote:Forgive me if I'm being cynical, but I can't help wondering why these reels are not being given or sold to the archive or library which owns Leonard's papers? What can be the point of splitting these reels up to sell to fans except to make money out of them?
Sue
Of course you are right, Sue, and anyone who claims to be an LC fan should have nothing to do with this.
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Hi Christianne and Ann,
A couple of questions for you.
1. If these reels were put in the archives, would they be available for fans to view, in their entirety? Have you ever been to see these archives, as you seem to think that it is the rightful place for these reels to be kept. If you give me the details of the manager of these archives, I will give him a ring in the morning. I am open to suggestions but the final decision will be made by Tony and Steve.

2. Why do you feel that Leonard didn't put these reels in these archives? Why do you feel that they were allowed to become so dilapidated that it took Tony Palmer months of hard work to put them together. Do you feel that Tony should not earn a wage for all the work he has put in, and his financial investment?

I hope your answers will have more substance than "anyone who claims to be an LC fan should have nothing to do with this."

If you feel the best place for these reels is a safe in an archive, all together, and not enjoyed by the fans, then this is not the view of Tony and Steve. If you can suggest a place where all 281 reels can be kept together, viewed by the public, and some sort of historical presentation, then i am interested in listening more. Again, Steve and Tony will make their decisions.

The problem is not whether these reels will sell, but to whom they should be sold to. In my business, I have come in contact with many wealthy collectors and some of them have already expressed an interest in buying some reels. This is before the price has been confirmed.

The reason i have put this notice on this website because it is the home of Leonard Cohen and I am showing respect to my friend Jarrko. An item of this importance should not be sold anywhere in the world, without being mentioned on this site. If Robert Kory, Leonard or Sony have any advice to give me regarding these reels, I am sure they will contact me as they have my email address.

Vince@leonardcohencafe.co.uk
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Please try and at least spell your "friend" 's name correctly...

Regards,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bene449

Post by bene449 »

sorry, Martin. You have spelt "friend's" incorrectly.

Return to “News”