An Outsider Looking In

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
scubasam

An Outsider Looking In

Post by scubasam »

I have always loved Leonard’s music, but never considered myself a die-hard fan. I agreed to schlep the kids across the country to this concert for my husband Avi (brightnow). I was happy to participate in the band and crew gifts, but did not really see it as a big deal at the time. On Friday morning, people who wrote letters to the crew came over to our hotel to sign them.

Avi gave each person the option to use a pen, or ‘the sharpie’. ‘The sharpie’ is the one Leonard used to sign an autograph for Avi last year in Durham NC. I did a double take (and rolled my eyes a bit) when so many wanted to touch 'the sharpie' Leonard used even though they were not going to use it to sign the letters. I, an outsider looking in, frankly could not understand this level of reverence for Leonard. He is an amazing artist, but he is, after all, just a man.

Friday afternoon, after a crazy morning of signing letters and using Marie M’s room to stage the gifts, we got to present them to some of the crew. It was over. We could now relax and enjoy the show (and I could continue to tease Avi about his and everyone else's obsession with LC).

On Friday night, we went to the Colosseum and I was just happy to have an adult evening out. The concert was impeccable. Leonard was warm and funny (and very sprightly for a 76 year old ‘kid with a crazy dream’) and he performed with panache and grace. It was a great evening with wonderful surprises after the show.

On the Saturday, we headed in to the Colosseum and immediately, I could tell something was different. When the band came out on stage, the anticipation was palpable. The music started. People sang, people sighed, people cheered and people cried. Circulating between the audience and the performers was an extraordinarily tangible mix of sorrow and elation, gloom and exhilaration and I, an outsider looking in, finally understood what so many of you wonderful fans have felt for years.

It’s not about adulation (well, maybe a little…) It’s not about adoration (well, maybe a little…). It’s about being a part of something that is so much bigger and more meaningful than each of us by ourselves. Almost 48 hours later, I still find myself overwhelmed to tears with what I can only describe as a profoundly spiritual encounter in that auditorium.

We thanked the band and the crew, and it is now time for me, a newly converted groupie, to thank the fans (and Jarkko) for keeping Leonard’s music alive through the years and allowing me to be a part of this extraordinary family of fans.

Sam

(PS I am still not running to touch ‘the sharpie’ that is safely ensconced in our safe if anyone was wondering :) ).
MaryB

Re: An Outsider Looking In

Post by MaryB »

Samantha,

What a lovely, lovely post. It was a joy on my part to meet 'the woman behind the man'. Welcome, welcome to our mutual LC admiration society. It's so wonderful that you finally understand.

Warmest regards,
Mary

(P.S. Never clean that pen. After all LC's fingerprints are on it. ;-) :lol: )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
scubasam

Post by scubasam »

Thanks for the warm welcome Mary. It was great meeting you in Vegas.
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Hi Sam,

I was one of those who was supposed to use the 'Sharpie' and I warned Avi to keep track of it. I unfortunately did not make it to the signing as we had problems with a missed connection from Cleveland. Only got to the concert minutes before it began. It was great and I am glad you are converted to the LC. Adoration Society.

Welcome to the club.
Marie
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

14 years later, I am understood, I am healed and my heart is at ease. :)
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

brightnow wrote:14 years later, I am understood, I am healed and my heart is at ease. :)
:D :D :D

Now we just have to figure out a way to bring Nolan over to our side!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
abby

Post by abby »

It's so sweet to read these messages from the both of you!

Return to “The World Tour 2010”