Way off topic question - full body scanner at LV airport

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
LisaLCFan

Re: Way off topic question - full body scanner at LV airport

Post by LisaLCFan »

Re: seadove's and Byron's posts

What a sad commentary on the world.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

LisaLCFan wrote:Re: seadove's and Byron's posts

What a sad commentary on the world.

What a sad commentary on a comparatively few, power-mad, articulate ideologues, who are hell-bent on destroying and taking the lives of ordinary people. What a great testament to the vigilance of governments' (note where the apostrophe is) employees, who are doing all that they can to protect ordinary people. :)
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
seadove

Post by seadove »

Byron wrote:seadove... One image stands out in my mind after all these years, and that is of a Hercules flying beneath me (and beneath sea level) as we stood atop Masada....
(
Massada will never fall again! :D
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

A little (f)light relief...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a8jGVXOMsw
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

I rarely fly anywhere -- maybe once every 5 years? But (rumor mongering alert) "They" have said that the amount of radiation the scanners emit can fluctuate wildly from machine to machine and from time to time. And these "They" estimate that the number of cancers these machines will induce over the next 20 years will lead to deaths which exceed the number of flyers killed by terrorists in the previous 20.

So . . . fliers are less safe, they just think they are more safe.

Is this a post-modern world or what?
neo

Post by neo »

It's the end of the post-mordern world, as we know it...
What sad religions they want us to believe.
remote1

Post by remote1 »

It's the post-mortem world...
"We are so lightly here"
Byron

Post by Byron »

Remember to use your mobile phone to tell all your friends that they may get cancer in the brain from answering your call.
Remember that we were warned that milk contained 'stuff' that caused cancer in our bodies.
Remember that life is unique to each of us. For all I know you lot might be a figment of my imagination.
Remember 'The Matrixesssss.' We beat the machines.
Remember 'The Terminators.' We beat the machines.
Remember Captain Nemo. We sank his silly boat.
Remember Jane Mansfield. ( I just thought I'd add her in here to rejuvenate a few fading memories :shock: 8) ;-) :) )
Remember to cherish our freedom. We are free to choose which way we travel.
Remember the sacrifices that men and women are still making to protect us all.
Remember them before you start your Christmas meal.
Remember that we are not immortal.
Remember that you can always stay at home and never take another risk in your life. B-O-R-I-N-G...............
Remember to send any spare cash to Albert -------------------------------------------------------->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Remember a bear is for life and not just for puns, existentially transcendental meanderings or a cheap literary foil.

Matron ! what else was I supposed to say ?
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

When I was going to Las Vegas I had forgotten that I had put a gold locket and chain in my pocket and so had to have the full pat down. It was a bit embarrasing to be singled out :D but not so bad I suppose. :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It sounds like your patdown was respectful, Cheshire gal. I'm glad to see that.

I dislike it that I agreed to the first one [for my trip to Krakow], but won't do it again... as my chiropractor noted no one really has any idea the long range effects of these [he wasn't even sure of the type of radiation emitted], and as someone else I talked with said, the operators of these are not trained professionals in their usage.

Ironically [and pleasantly], I was not asked to do either one either going to or returning from Las Vegas. My chiropractor suggested that I offer them $10 to rub my back while they were at it, if I had to go through the patdown. He'll be pleased for me when he learns I didn't have to do either, as he'd said he wouldn't go through the machine, either. He's also a naturopath, so has a healthy skepticism of this kind of technology and its long-range impact on the body. I'm not surprised at all by the references to predictions of cancer in the above posting.

What a world this has become, eh?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
seadove

Post by seadove »

About chiropractors....

I find it strange that they never seem to finish their dozes. It's like....endless! Infinity! I am suspecting that they do their work but never to the finish line. They always leave you off wanting to come to him again and again and again and again and again! :(

There is a conspiracy here. :idea:

{edited to add:}

And oh yes, how come all the chiropractors I know are naturopaths, exactly like Lizzy's ????
[suspects] :?
Byron

Post by Byron »

seadove wrote:About chiropractors....

I find it strange that they never seem to finish their dozes. It's like....endless! Infinity! I am suspecting that they do their work but never to the finish line. They always leave you off wanting to come to him again and again and again and again and again! :(

And oh yes, how come all the chiropractors I know are naturopaths, exactly like Lizzy's ????
Do you mean 'doses' ? meaning appointments and sessions ?
seadove

Post by seadove »

Byron wrote:
seadove wrote:About chiropractors....

Do you mean 'doses' ? meaning appointments and sessions ?

I mean the same word with a bit of grudge. :-( Sessions after sessions. Mass money money flowing straight to his or her pockets!
Byron

Post by Byron »

Too much money in their pockets and they'll end up with a bad back.
They can be a pain in the arse, or a 'chiroproctologist' as we say. ;-)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi seadove ~

If a chiropractor is operating ethically, they will see you [most likely] three times a week in the beginning.
Because our bodies have muscular memory, when the bones [body] are repositioned to a different [appropriate] position, the muscles react with a "that's not where those bones or WE belong... and the muscles gradually move the bones back into the status quo [albeit wrong] position. On the second visit, the muscles are 'reminded' that they need to be holding the bones in 'this' [new!] position... still, the muscles are slow to learn.
Then, on the third visit, the muscles begin to realize that 'maybe' there's a new thing going on here that MIGHT be okay... so they take longer in returning to the bones back to their original [albeit wrong] position.

After two to three weeks of this process, the muscles are adapting to the new position and the strong message that they need to focus elsewhere [on maintaining the NEW ~ and correct ~ position]. Then, the visits become twice a week, with longer periods of the muscles maintaining the body [bones] in the new and correct position. After two to three weeks of seeing the chiropractor twice a week, the chiro should reduce the visits to once a week... after a bit of that, the visits should be done on a "PRN" ["as needed"] basis. There is nothing wrong ~ and much right ~ with being on a maintenance program with a chiropractor. Many other conditions and maladies can be avoided through proper maintenance of the spine, nerves, and all other attendant systems, which begin with the blood supply to them, which come through [and are cut off by misalignment of] the spine.

IF a chiropractor continues a patient on a three times a week or even twice a week schedule, they are going for the money, because they are preventing the body from itself taking up the task of maintaining proper alignment. The body WILL do that, if given the chance. Up to the point of PRN, the body's muscular system is in retraining mode.

I was thrilled to learn that my chiropractor had become a naturopath. He's one of the very few I've encountered who has done this. The alternative approaches to medicine ~ of which chiropractic is only one ~ are far preferable to the allopathic approach of standard, medical doctors, where pharmaceuticals and surgery are the primary modalities. There are times when surgery is clearly needed and warrants full consideration. However, much can be avoided via naturopathic, homeopathic, and other approaches... including plain and simple proper nutrition and exercise.

I get headaches very seldom ~ VERY seldom ~ yet, there is a particular kind of headache that I can go to the chiro and describe as an "atlas/occiput headache" and the chiro knows exactly what areas of my neck need adjusting and a three-day, excruciatingly painful headache will resolve within 5 minutes or less of my adjustments. Many people will walk in bent over, unable to stand up straight due to pain, and walk out pain free and upright.

My first concern with any new health insurance policy I've gotten has been what are its allowances for chiropractic care.

Okay... that's my take on it all :) .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”