Time to Say Thank You

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
TipperaryAnn

Re: Time to Say Thank You

Post by TipperaryAnn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:02 am

ladydi wrote: There are many threads on the Forum where fans can vent their frustrations
Yes, and get attacked by those who seem to regard any word of criticism as sacrilege ! The Cambodia thread has been an eye-opener in that regard.

Plain speaking and negativity are not synonymous. Have you read the works of one Leonard Cohen, e.g. "Death of a Lady's Man" ? Not exactly oozing with sweetness and sentimentality...
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:54 am

Hi TipperaryAnn,

I hope you know that I'm not one who sees criticism as sacrilege. Criticism, given in the right way, can be constructive. In the wrong way....destructive. I agree, there is much in Leonard's writings that is difficult (and yes, I have read "Death of a Lady's Man" but I've also read most of his other books of prose and poetry)....and I don't think any of us would want it to be "oozing with sweetness and sentimentality". That wouldn't be Leonard Cohen. That would be "Sesame Street".

But..forgive my ignorance...I guess I'm just not understanding what you are trying to do on this thread. I agree with you..."plain speaking and negativity are not synonymous". Agreed. Totally. Forget the negativity....what is the plain speaking?

I respect your views TipperaryAnn, but truly don't understand why it's necessary to introduce criticism when the moment doesn't warrant it.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Diana,
I was ANGRY posting here, having just read the Phnom Pehn Concert Statement and more of the nastiness on the Cambodia thread directed against people who have every right to complain. If you want to know more about the source of my anger I refer you to those threads, especially to posts by Mabeanie, Casterbridgecohen, and myself.
Coming from that to the unctiousness here, with Ms. Mazur responding only to posts which support her opinion, was like landing on a different planet. I have no problem with thanking LC and have done so myself. He might appreciate the gesture, but is highly unlikely to plough through all the carefully written entries! I did make a suggestion earlier in this thread, you might remember, only because I would hate to see any of the excellent band members getting a less enthusiastic response than others. Nothing "negative" about that. However, it doesn't bother me in the least what Ms. Mazur does about these cards - it was her idea. It's all a matter of taste and local custom, I suppose, like spelling "cosy" with an s on my side of the Atlantic, or with an z on your side. Some people like lots of sugar in their tea or coffee, others don't!
I find your second post quite silly. ( Since deleted, I see ) Firstly, there have been so few entries here ( wise people, perhaps, keeping their heads beneath the parapet! ) that there is no need to repeat some of them. Secondly, who expects "flow" on a forum, which is supposed to be a place of public DISCUSSION, not a chorus of yes-people?
Anyway, I'm off now to other threads where differing opinions can still be expressed without causing offence. I'll leave this one to the "cosy bunch" - your phrase, not mine, before you take offence again! Sorry for smudging "your thread" with my song.....
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:48 pm

[quote="TipperaryAnn" I have no problem with thanking LC and have done so myself. He might appreciate the gesture, but is highly unlikely to plough through all the carefully written entries!
I disagree with you. In fact, I feel that is an insult to even say that about LC.

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
B4real

Post by B4real » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:34 am

Hi Marie,

I just wanted to let you know that I have signed the card for Leonard. You were right that the words would come after I had been to the concert. :D In fact, I had far too many words and had to condense them and discard others to fit within the limited character quantity!! Thanks for this opportunity to express my gratitude. 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Like a number of others, I'm still working on mine, too, Marie... other things dominating my time at this moment, so pushing deadlines back as they can afford to be [so grateful for November 22nd on this one].

With all the care that Leonard and the band have demonstrated with so many people, in signing their items with their words and signatures, I feel that this project is, indeed, a beautiful one that Leonard and the band will be able to have, keep, and pass on to their chosen ones, and that they will take care to read every single one, as we each have our own ways of saying things and have had varying experiences in observing and/or interacting with these folks. When one considers that Leonard has actually taken the time and care to write back to people, at varying times in his life, with gratitude... to letters written to express appreciation and support... and that Leonard's world is primarily about words to begin with, it is fully reasonable and realistic that he and the band will appreciate these exquisite gifts.

On a personal note, I have always admired and respected your absolute unwillingness to openly engage in conflict... preferring both publicly and privately to simply focus on the positive. A personal trait so very like Leonard... and one which stands as an example to us all.

I'm happy for this opportunity to convey my feelings in permanent form to Leonard and the band. My thoughts/feelings have been more limited with the band, but that doesn't mean that I can't say something positive to each of them. I certainly feel it as I watch and listen to each of them at Leonard's concerts.

My highest regards,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm glad I looked at this thread again - I didn't realise there were cards for the band members too! I'm feeling guilty now, will sign them asap :D Thanks for organising this, Marie.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:29 pm

... i would also like to say thank you to Marie and to the others who were actively supporting this heartfelt gesture, saying "THANK YOU"...
... to those who helped with practically organising everything in the first place.

To come up with the idea and to organise it so well, with love of detail and technical knowledge, supported happily by many others who contributed in various ways...
to hand it over, the individual expressions in one form, is a very uplifting project towards the end of this year's Tour. I liked the separate cards for the band members, too. It's enjoyable to read other people's sincere messages saying thank you ...it was a long Tour of the UHTC...a lot of work behind this Tour, a lot of hearty effort behind this project, too...it would have been very difficult to organise such a project 15 years ago ......sorry for my enthusiasm
Nicole

ps: i can imagine ...the closer the date of the final concert this year gets, the happier some will become about the gesture, when it's handed over...
Last edited by Harriet175 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:22 pm

Thank you! (that's all I've gotta say).
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Marie,

Contrary to some of the other forum members, it did not flow easily for me, that is until I had my first sentence. Then it began to flow. Being limited in the amount of characters is an excellent idea, but sometimes I had to adjust words and spacing to make it fit. My closing of 'Thank you____' took up a number characters as using the 'Thanks' option didn't seem adequate. All in all I am so glad I did it and you gave us the opportunity to give a personal thank you to LC and the band.

I did want to mention something. When I was going through all the thank you's in LC's card, I noticed that some people also included a band member in the thank you to LC. I hope they are aware that there are individual cards for all the band members also.

Thank you so much for doing this Marie - it is such a touching gesture.

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieM

Post by MarieM » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:45 am

Thank you all for your kind words and for signing the cards. This is the last weekend to sign so don't miss this opportunity. Remember to sign Leonard's and each of the band member's cards as well. Leonard's card is well over 200 pages now and is nearing 700 signatures.

http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/card.html (English)
http://www.leonardcohensite.com/tour2008/card_fr.php (French)
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:39 am

This is a great idea. Thank you for giving us the chance to take part and express how much this tour has meant to us. Greatly appreciate it!
Will... If It Be Your Will
remote1

Post by remote1 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:35 pm

MarieM wrote:Leonard's card is well over 200 pages now and is nearing 700 signatures.
A thousand signatures would be great... a thousand kisses deep...
"We are so lightly here"
mutti

Post by mutti » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:14 am

Just a gentle reminder that the band members also have cards that we can write on to thank them.
Marie thank you again for this beautiful card you created! I can't stop thanking you...
you have created a vehicle for all of us to thank Leonard and tell him what we would if we each had a few moments
with him to tell him our appreciation. I am so grateful to have had this opportunity.
It is truly a gift for Leonard that will touch him in so many ways. I can think of no other gift ;-) that will touch him as much as this
card with over 257 pages of love.
Leslie/Mutti 8)
Last edited by mutti on Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:29 am

Dear Marie,

Thank you SO much for this opportunity to say "thank you", not only to Leonard but to each and every member of the Unified Heart Touring Company. Let's remember back to the tiny venue at Fredericton, New Brunswick. At that concert no one knew if Leonard would "connect". Well, as we well know it was the beginning of an "avalanche". Leonard is our man....but each and every member of this incredible band has brought it all together. I know that most of you have sent your heart-felt messages to Leonard. But, PLEASE....at this late moment in time...remember and post thanks to ALL the others who have contributed not only their lives to Leonard, but their amazing talents! All these concerts we have been privileged to attend would not have occurred without their amazing individual musical abilities. It is now the 11th hour. We need to thank them. They will not be back ever again. Please everyone....let them know what is in your heart....and simply say thanks.

Diana

Return to “News”