Fake photos

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
TipperaryAnn

Fake photos

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Just wondering does anyone else share my dislike of falsified photos via. Photoshop, Paintshop, etc., and a hope that they would not infiltrate this forum?
One of the pleasures of this forum has been the genuine photos posted here; sometimes not great quality, perhaps, but real. Best of all are those showing some happy, lucky fan smiling beside a smiling Leonard. Of course we all light "thin green candles" of envy, but at the same time we can share the joy of those who just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Now, however, anyone can have a photo of himself/herself posing with Leonard - e.g. on the Katovice thread. Of course it's a fake, a joke...understandable for private consumption, certainly, as wish fulfilment, or among Facebook buddies, but why inflict it on the rest of us ?

When this technology first became available it seemed amusing. A certain Liverpool K. often used it to humorous effect. However, when that "humour" intrudes on a serious thread where hurt, angry people who have lost a lot of money through LC concert cancellations are expressing their frustration, it doesn't seem funny anymore.

Anyone can use this technology now, no special skill required, so why bother?
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
seadove

Re: Fake photos

Post by seadove »

Basically when a woman puts on make up...... she is actually using an old virsion of.... photoshop. :(
neo

Post by neo »

seadove wrote:Basically when a woman puts on make up...... she is actually using an old virsion of.... photoshop. :(
:lol: 8)
What sad religions they want us to believe.
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

seadove wrote:Basically when a woman puts on make up...... she is actually using an old virsion of.... photoshop. :(
Not strictly true seadove, I keep putting make up on and I have never managed to look like Marilyn Monroe no matter how artful I am! Photoshop might be able to do the job for me... :)

Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
seadove

Post by seadove »

Evie B wrote:
Not strictly true seadove, I keep putting make up on and I have never managed to look like Marilyn Monroe no matter how artful I am! Photoshop might be able to do the job for me... :)

Evie B
Each one to her own skills and abilities. In the internet photoshop world you cannot alter a brunette (for example) to a model of Marilyn Monroe without noticing the changes right there in front of your very eyes. But yet even you, with a wee bit of conventional material such as lipstick or mascara can "improve" your looks.

(Edited to add: Unlike the male specy who mostly does not care a damn what he looks like so long as he's wearing clean clothes... if ever) :(
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Evie B wrote:
Not strictly true seadove, I keep putting make up on and I have never managed to look like Marilyn Monroe no matter how artful I am! Photoshop might be able to do the job for me...
Brilliant response, Evie B !

Yes, make-up ( or hair pieces, etc. for men! ) can just enhance what already exists, whereas photoshop etc. can create an illusion of what never existed in the first place!
seadove

Post by seadove »

What I'm saying is that most women don't need all this. They are beautiful enough. :D

:neutral:
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

TipperaryAnn wrote:Just wondering does anyone else share my dislike of falsified photos via. Photoshop, Paintshop, etc., and a hope that they would not infiltrate this forum?
One of the pleasures of this forum has been the genuine photos posted here; sometimes not great quality, perhaps, but real. Best of all are those showing some happy, lucky fan smiling beside a smiling Leonard. Of course we all light "thin green candles" of envy, but at the same time we can share the joy of those who just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Now, however, anyone can have a photo of himself/herself posing with Leonard - e.g. on the Katovice thread. Of course it's a fake, a joke...understandable for private consumption, certainly, as wish fulfilment, or among Facebook buddies, but why inflict it on the rest of us ?

When this technology first became available it seemed amusing. A certain Liverpool K. often used it to humorous effect. However, when that "humour" intrudes on a serious thread where hurt, angry people who have lost a lot of money through LC concert cancellations are expressing their frustration, it doesn't seem funny anymore.Anyone can use this technology now, no special skill required, so why bother?

What has the sentence I have highlighted in bold have to do with that picture? The Katowice report thread is the only place I put it on this forum as that was where the photo with the rose was taken. If it has appeared elsewhere it is NOT my doing As you pointed out it was posted as a JOKE. As I stated there I wasn't trying to trick anyone and I most certainly wasn't trying to cause anyone grief as you are suggesting here. Most people saw it as a joke and I've yet to have anyone else tell me I'm causing upset to anyone. I'm sorry to have inflicted it on you as you put it. If it will make you happy I'll remove it.

It is removed. I don't want to cause anyone upset. If you want the other one removed, I'll remove it too but let it be noted I WAS NOT trying to trick or upset anyone
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
neo

Post by neo »

:shock:
What sad religions they want us to believe.
Susy

Post by Susy »

Hey Musicmania,
NO... please don`t remove your B/W photo of our Man with the red rose,
its a work of outstanding excellence !!! :D
Greetings Susanne
Susy
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Susy wrote:Hey Musicmania,
NO... please don`t remove your B/W photo of our Man with the red rose,
its a work of outstanding excellence !!! :D
Greetings Susanne
Thanks Susanne but I don't want to be upsetting people so I'll wait and see what response I get. I'm glad you like it though. :)
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Musicmania,
If you read my original post more carefully you will see that paragraph 3, including the sentence you underlined, is not about you at all - it's not all about you, you know!! :)

I have seen enough of what teenagers can do to bully one another with this kind of fake photo to be wary of them, not to mention how the gutter press can vilify some politician by showing him/her in an incriminating situation which never existed. There are still some people innocent enough to say "But it's true, I saw the photo in the paper!" Of course there was no question of you trying to deceive - anyone looking at your "self portrait with LC" would recognise it as a fake - the difference of scale was a giveaway. ( e.g. one face was bigger than the other! ) If I were you I wouldn't want that "up there", on the grounds of quality, but do what you like with your photos, doesn't bother me.

Here we were having a bit of fun on this thread about make-up, hair pieces, etc., until you arrived here, all offended....
Diane

Post by Diane »

Hi musicmania. I don't keep up with all the various tour threads, but I do recall clicking on a (colour) pic you snapped of LC holding a long-stem rose. That was very well caught I thought and a unique and apt image from the tour.

And carry on having fun in your own sweet way.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Gwen,
I took on offense to either photo. Thought the one of 'you and LC' a hoot. Your B&W with the red rose is lovely.
Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Thanks Diane and Mary ;-) Here is hoping I get similiar opportunities in Vegas :!:

@ TipperaryAnn I don't think it is "all about me" as you put it and I'm certainly not offended. I wouldn't have arrived on your topic had you not indirectly mentioned me. I can see your point re the gutter press and when it is used to bully and intimidate. I still can't see the connection with the cancelled gigs and "fake photograpy" of any kind :?:
I already knew the the photo was far from perfect and indeed that was part of the joke the fact it was so blantantly not real :lol:

Return to “Comments & Questions”