RECENT SONGS ALBUM

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
leonardmtl

Re: RECENT SONGS ALBUM

Post by leonardmtl »

somewhat_nifty wrote:
Regarding the names of Leonard's albums, I like the fact that they're often just simple descriptions - the simplicity is a good contrast to the lyrical mastery within. Often album names can come off sounding really pretentious, and this sidesteps that problem neatly. In the UK, there was an ad campaign for floor varnish called Ronseal that used the slogan 'it does exactly what it says on the tin', that became a meme or catchphrase. I think Leonard has 'ronseal' albums: The Songs of Leonard Cohen - you've got songs of Leonard Cohen; Recent Songs - here are some recent songs; Ten New Songs - what have you got, 10 new songs! I think it's great.
I agree completely. The covers are refreshingly simple......simply simple.....

"It is what it is"

No more need be explained

Leonard from Montreal
Last edited by leonardmtl on Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
phillip

Post by phillip »

I agree with Leonard as I agree with everything the man says:) Leonard is the best
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
regueradela

Post by regueradela »

Masterpiece unsigned is my favourite album ever..Listening to Leonard Cohen is like listening to a poetry reading melodic. I'm there for words, childbirth and how to sew the melodies in my daily life. But, right Andy, it does not seem terribly concerned about the musicianship and production, and sings in a special way whether you appreciate or not. I know he is a hero to some of my favorite musicians. Linford Detweiler said the two most inspiring concert I've attended the last performances of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Delighted to see "Recent Songs" getting well deserved recognition in this interesting post. The window, Came so far for beauty, The traitor, The gypsy's wife, The smokey life, Ballad of the absent mare - all wonderful. I even love The lost Canadian: there is something in the rawness of his voice here that really captures the loneliness of exile. If I try to choose a favourite album though I agonise over "Recent Songs" versus "Field Commander Cohen", which has 4 of the treasures of RS with the added bonus of Memories, which I just can't resist! AND live performances of other much loved songs like Hey, that's no way to say goodbye and Marianne, and we all now know how good Leonard is live. So how about "Recent Songs" with those 3 instead of Humbled in love, Our lady of solitude, and The guests as the ABSOLUTELY perfect album ? :!: But that leaves out The stranger song...no, I just have to have BOTH RS and FCC !!!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
alb123

Post by alb123 »

tomsakic wrote:Well, according to Leonard's 2001 interview, it's his best album in his opinion.
If anyone could point me to this interview, I would love to read/listen to it.
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
phillip

Post by phillip »

All Leonards Albums are masterpieces in my opinion but I do love Recent songs too something special about that album and that era in Leonards life! :D
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

For balance, I'll add a discordant note and say that Recent Songs is one of my least favourite albums.

Oh oh: here comes the lynch-mob. Better hoof it, fast ...!
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

WHAAAAAATTTTTTTTT??????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

But hydriot, there's got to be at least one song on the album that you like?
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

The Lost Canadian?
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Well of course Came So Far For Beauty is one of his all time greats, and one of my favourites ... and The Guests is incredibly poignant ... and I like Humbled in Love ... and I've come to like The Gypsy's Wife since hearing it live in 2008 ... but the others just don't reach me somehow.

This is probably due to the fact that for some reason I missed this album when it first came out and only purchased it a few years ago.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hydriot,
Such great choices - that's already 4 out of 10. Not bad for one of your least favorite albums. I also purchased this just a few years ago because someone suggested I take a closer listen to 'Ballad of the Absent Mare'. Along with the titles you mentioned, this also became a favorite along with 'The Window', 'The Smokey Life', and 'The Traitor'. BOTAM and W and perhaps T maybe don't do it for you, because when I just relistened to them, they seem to appeal to female sensibilities - 'chickmusic' IMHO.
And then, there is 'The Lost Canadian'. Ever since mnkyface/Esther did this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKXBgavdDFY, it always brings a smile to my face and I will not skip it anymore.
Upon release, there were one or two albums that initially did not endear themselves to me. I find that the more I listened to them, or any number of 'least favorite' songs, the beauty of the lyrics, at certain times in my life, become a balm. There are now very few songs that I don't like. These will be revisited in the future and perhaps they too will make my favorite list. Although 'Jazz Police' will be a hard one.
Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
alb123

Post by alb123 »

MaryB wrote:Hydriot,
BOTAM and W and perhaps T maybe don't do it for you, because when I just relistened to them, they seem to appeal to female sensibilities - 'chickmusic' IMHO.
Mary
I don't know...Ballad of the Absent Mare touches me so deeply, and I am male. Sure, it's written from a different point of view - but that's what I've always loved about Leonard's music, he reaches into places inside your soul that other songwriters miss.
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
schubert

Post by schubert »

I bought it when it first came out and loved it instantly,
Ive never really understood why its not so well known as most of his other works.
It has a very special atmosphere,at least to me,the only song I have a problem with
is Humbled in love.Bit like Jazz Police on Im your Man,seems out of place. :?

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”