Songs From the Road - new live album - Sept 14, 2010

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jdhayes

Re: Songs From the Road - new live album - Sept 14, 2010

Post by jdhayes »

I must agree with the contributor who said the London version of "Hallelujah" was better. There seems to be a lack of atmosphere in Songs for the Road and the backing singers seem to be faded more into the background. Just my own personal reaction to the CD. It does not refelect the true atmosphere at concerts.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
lissadell

Post by lissadell »

so whats the verdict on the new DVD ?
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I must say, I don't understand the negative reactions to this video. I think it's absolutely wonderful and when I watch it I feel like I'm right there at the concert(s). It blew me away the first time I watched it, all I could think of was, "Wow, this is SO GOOD!!!" I have now watched it several times, and I still love it immensely! As for the Coachella version of Hallelujah, I have yet to watch it without getting tears in my eyes, I think it is magnificent. Everyone is different, I guess, but to me, Songs from the Road is sublime!
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I would like to stress that my comments refer to the CD only. I detecta lack of atmosphere there and the backing singers are almost aibrushed out of existence. I haven't watched the DVD set.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

jdhayes wrote:I would like to stress that my comments refer to the CD only. I detecta lack of atmosphere there and the backing singers are almost aibrushed out of existence. I haven't watched the DVD set.
Oh! Well, please watch it soon! I think the atmosphere is captured best on the DVD (or blu-ray). The visuals really do add a considerable spark to the performances that you might miss on the CD. I hope you enjoy it!
bakkushan

Post by bakkushan »

Sorry if this is elsewhere already, but - for viewers in the UK/Irl "Songs from the Road" is on BBC4 at 23.00 TONIGHT
[] dublin 1985 [] belfast 2009 [] lissadell 2010 [] dublin 2012 [] Sydney 2013
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

bakkushan wrote:Sorry if this is elsewhere already, but - for viewers in the UK/Irl "Songs from the Road" is on BBC4 at 23.00 TONIGHT
Looking forward - and echoing others in welcoming Avalanche and Lover Lover.... as less than regular numbers in this format. Two of the songs on the listing are from concerts I attended and it'll be special!
almarks

Post by almarks »

On now, but if you missed it, repeated on Monday at 3.20am.
Phantom Stranger

Post by Phantom Stranger »

LisaLCFan wrote:
jdhayes wrote:I would like to stress that my comments refer to the CD only. I detecta lack of atmosphere there and the backing singers are almost aibrushed out of existence. I haven't watched the DVD set.
Oh! Well, please watch it soon! I think the atmosphere is captured best on the DVD (or blu-ray). The visuals really do add a considerable spark to the performances that you might miss on the CD. I hope you enjoy it!
Solely as an audio experience, the song selections are somewhat lacking. I had the same reaction when I first heard the CD for a couple of days before receiving the Blu-ray in the mail. The experience works much better in conjunction with the video and audio together.
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

"Songs From the Road" is available on BBC i-Player until Friday 22nd October. Here's the link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _the_Road/

This must be the first film ever to have its London premiere, DVD release and first UK TV showing in the course of 31 days!

All good things, John E
phillip

Post by phillip »

awesome DVD was wondering though on one song LC has a white band around his jacket sleeve does anyone know what it is???
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
B4real

Post by B4real »

phillip wrote:awesome DVD was wondering though on one song LC has a white band around his jacket sleeve does anyone know what it is???
I asked the same question Phillip and here's Marsha's answer :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22277&start=150#p250380
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
nlamont

Post by nlamont »

For my money, the performances here are stronger than those on the London DVD. Leonard, having stopped namechecking the performers after each solo, seems to inhabit each song more wholeheartedly and passionately. Maybe there was still some novelty in being onstage in the earlier one, where now there are fewer distractions for him. And the band seem both more restrained and more cohesive. The filming gives plenty of scope to all the performers and it looks like it's been directed and edited by a real admirer rather than just a camera professional. To focus so much on Leonard's picking hand during Avalanche is, I think, a fan thing, for which this viewer is particularly grateful. While I enjoyed the London one, I found this one compelling.
pegasus4

Post by pegasus4 »

I agree with everything nalmont writes in previous message.Thank you and spot on--The DVD is compelling- and captures the spirit of the concerts in a way Live in London failed to for me. I was critical of the camera work and camera lenses used on Live in London which left the DVD bereft of the atmosphere I had experienced at the concerts I'd seen. No such thing with Songs From the Road. Avalanche and the Partisan are outstanding and Leonards focus is intense and absolute for all to see. Astonishing and breathtaking.One of the great music DVD's ever.
kevwill

Post by kevwill »

Watched the BBC i-player version. Did I see myself in the audience shot at the end of Suzanne at the MEN Arena? Not sure. Quality is excellent, so many shivers down my spine. Fantastic opening of Lover3. Only disappointment is that it's so short. Less than an hour.
Would have loved to see a good version of his "I tried to leave you" - the MEN Arena one was so much better than that on the original DVD. Have the You-tube version from MEN-A on my phone, superb.

The new biog arrived today. Hope it's better than the previous one.
Manchester Opera House 20 June 2008
Manchester MEN Arena 30 November 2008

Return to “News”