Sainthood-Kateri Tekawitha

Debate on Leonard Cohen's poetry (and novels), both published and unpublished. Song lyrics may also be discussed here.
Joe Way

Sainthood-Kateri Tekawitha

Post by Joe Way »

I thought that fans of "Beautiful Losers" might find this article interesting
which I found in our local Catholic paper, The Catholic Herald, Diocese of
Madison. It was found in a question and answer forum written by Father John Dietzen.

"Q: Seventy years ago when I was in the first grade, we prayed for the
canonization of Blessed Kateri Tekawitha, the Indian girl who lived in what
is now the United States and died in Canada."

"In recent years Pope John Paul II has recognized the sainthood of flocks of people of all nationaliites. But poor Kateri keeps getting passed over."

"Is there a reason for this? Did the Vatican uncover some defect in her life
or in the worthiness of American Indians? (Illinois)"

"A: For readers who may not be familiar with this Indian woman, Blessed
Kateri (Catherine) Tekawitha, known as "the lily of the Mohawks," was a
Mohawk Indian, born in Ossernenon (now Auriesville) N.Y. She was baptized on Easter 1676 by a Jesuuit missionary, Fr. Jacques de Lambertville. She has, incidentally, also been one of my favorite "saints" since childhood."

"After her baptism, Kateri walked to Montreal, where she spent life devoted
to prayer and caring for the sick and aged. She died in 1680 at the age of
24 in the village of Caughnawaga, where she is buried. She was beatified by Pope John Paul II June 22nd, 1980. Her feast is July 14."

"Numerous factors are involved in the process of canonization, not least of
which is the availability of people (religious congregations, ethnic
associations, etc.) who have the time, desire, and finances to pursue the
cause. Kateri's process is interesting because she seems to have been one chosen by John Paul to be beatified even though facilities were lacking in those days to pursue investigations and promote the cause of saints like
her."

"It seems the pope particularly desired to give attention to ethnic groups
who up to then lacked saints to venerate. As in several other canonization
processes under the present pope, the usual proven miracles were not
required. The Holy Father decided it was sufficient that many miracles
reportedly occurred with her intercession."

"The cause of Blessed Kateri is ongoing, but to my knowledge little is
happening at the moment."

"Those who wish to learn more, or perhaps assist in the process, may write to Fonda Tekawitha News, Box 627, Fonda, New York, 12068 (phone 518-853-3646) or Tekawitha Conference Newsletter (Cross and Feather News), Box 6768, Great Falls, MT 59406 (phone 406-727-0147)."

When we are in New York for the Leonard Cohen Event, I plan to stop by St. Patrick's Cathedral to visit Kateri's statue (there is a picture of this
with Leonard beside it in Ira Nadel's biography).

Just to add one personal note-when my daughter Kate was confirmed one of her class chose Keteri Tekawitha as her confirmation name. I was part of the choir and we sang a "Litany of Saints" using all their confirmation names-it was quite interesting working that name in there. "Agnes, and Matthew and Kateri Tekawitha-Sebastian, Cecilia, and whoever else is with ya."

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for that interesting article, Joe. I'd be interested in going along to the Cathedral to see her statue. Doesn't Leonard have a likeness of her in his house, as well? A picture of her, a small statue on his kitchen sill or in his cabinet? As soon as I saw her name here, I thought of something I'd read about 'her'/his house. Who is the statue of the reclining woman on his desk? Fun song :wink: .
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Hi Lizzy-

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I've been out of town a couple of days.

I'm not sure about the statue in Leonard's home-I've heard it described both as Kateri Tekawitha or the Virgin Mary. It makes more sense to be Kateri, but I don't really know.

Yes, of course, we would love to have you accompany us to St. Patrick's, the program is starting to come together and I'm thinking that it will be part of the walking tour that Evelyn Stein is doing on Saturday and Sunday morning (really a subway tour!). I can hardly wait! Looking forward to meeting you.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Evelyn's tour sounds really fun! Do you have any idea what time she anticipates that it will begin?

Yeah, hard to tell who the statue is of without asking Leonard. I'm looking forward to meeting you, too :) .
annaedith

Post by annaedith »

I recently nearly got a shock when I found out that the day ofthe beatification ofKateri Tekakwitha, june 22 1980, is exactly my birthday. and that she diedon a 17th of april, which was the birthday of my first, now dead horse. sounds odd, but these were the only two dates ever important to me. such things confirm this great sentence "god is alive. magic is afoot." you can believe and trust.
*********** beauté est partout**********
Saint Hood

Post by Saint Hood »

Joe Way,
I sincerely believe Kateri is a Saint. Just as there is a God; she is a Saint.
Saints are crowned while they are living.
When she died a church couldn't prevent nor take away her Saintlyness.

Kateri grew up with the Catholic religion and I am not passing judgement But Kateri's relationship was with still God and not with a Pope.
The Blackrobes didn't have much of a variety to offer :wink:
But I pray for a miracle. Just to give them all what they want.
People love all the jazz.

And yeah, annaedith.
I believe in the connection, whether by dates or events told by Leonard. I've learned there is a huge connection here.

Signed,
Saint Hood
sirus

Post by sirus »

Where in the name of God is this huge connection?
Someone has a birthday and the birthday of a dead horse????
Wtf?
:roll:
annaedith

Post by annaedith »

...some stars making hard-readable signs and the character of a person?
...some prayers in silence and the saving of a soul?
...eating the right stuff and living happily and without illness?
...some invisible magnetic radiation and cancer?
...some tiny molecules of a pharmacon taken and the change of a personality?

firstly: there are things that exist though we can't prove them yet. radiation, light and sound in extreme wavelengths, the power of an atom.. that all has existed for as long as the universe exists. but until some time ago, no one knew about it because we didn't have the instruments to prove that. and this not the end: scientists are aware that there is much more to be dicovered.

secondly: even though some thing can never be proven, people may stick to it. though some can understand it and others can't, it doesn't matter to the person: it gives reassurance, self-sureness, calmness. sure you can live without such believes, but especially in extreme situations it is very hard to do without. and it makes the world nicer for everybody. i wonder where we would be now if there hadn't been the codexes of the religions.

may everybody have something to believe in.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

My mother's birthday is on June 22, Annaedith. Happy birthday to you in advance. She, though, will have 80 this year. April 17 means nothing to me for now.
annaedith

Post by annaedith »

hi tchoco - what a great date, your mother's birthday! no, really, that's nice to hear of other people to whom the date also means something. please tell her all good wishes from someone who was born 55 years after her!
maybe you'll still come upon things happening on these special dates, or maybe you'll find out about things connected with dates important to you? as you know, magic is afoot...
hoped to hear also from sirus. i'm always willing to discuss things and try my best to accept other opinions as well.
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

"i'm always willing to discuss things and try my best to accept other opinions as well."

Just like her, then, again. :D Thank you for your good wishes to her! :D Take care. :D
Saint Hood

connections

Post by Saint Hood »

hmm, sirus, i think the connection i am thinking of is much larger and birthdates are just a part of the whole thing. my birthday happens to be jeff buckleys who happens to sing hallelujiah which happened to lead me to this guy leonard who happened to write about my ancestor. i love connections. maybe edith does too :roll:

there is a kateri tekakwitha pow wow in new york over the 4th of july weekend. i'm wondering if anyone knows if leonard ever attended.

i'd like to email him also if anyone can post his email address that'd be great.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

may everybody have something to believe in.
I agree, AnnaEdith :D . Such a beautiful sentiment. I also agree on the significance of numbers and dates, and the supporting comments you've made. Saint Hood appears to concur, as well.

Love,
Lizzy

Return to “Leonard Cohen's poetry and novels”