Author of "Eat,Pray,Love" quotes Leonard Cohen on Oprah

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
lizzytysh

Re: Author of "Eat,Pray,Love" quotes Leonard Cohen on Oprah

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi St. Theresa ~

Been there, done that in-a-rush stuff. Since Al Gore and Leonard had met in Norway, it seemed quite likely to me that Gore would include him on a personal list. I have no idea who the Roedy Green person is, but if it's his list, I like his taste in people. If it's the group's, then I like theirs.

Poor baby. May be in Portugal, eh? If I were unable to attend, I'd sure love it to be for such an exotic reason as that.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Portugal. Oh, how you suffer, St. Theresa. I just saw a travel show on Portugal, almost went once, wish I had. So, you get a reprieve from Edmonton - but at the wrong time! Could this have been pre-ordained? So weird. You wait your life, while serving Leonard Nights, then the BIG one, and off to Portugal. I'd have to say your reasons for being in Portugal at that time must be dire indeed. My heart bleeds with yours. You know what? You are being called to Portugal to wash Leonard's feet! I can see no other reason (I'm sure they're there, but you needn't share them with us). Yes! A pic of you, on your bike, Leonard on the back with his arms tightly around your waist will grace the hallowed wall. Of that I'm sure. I hope it's not your lunch hour, as you've just walked into another of my posts. Sorry.

Have fun on the beaches of Portugal as those here will, in the dark bars of Edmonton.

Linda.

PS: I google nothing. Everything you see is just me. Kind of a creepy thought, isn't it? Still, there are so many of us that have not met. You and Leonard, Leonard and Oprah, you and Oprah, who knows what might happen. Fate. That's what. Drive carefully!
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Hi everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has read the book.

I also wanted to wish everyone Happy Holidays.

Cheers,

Natalie
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

As for me, as is usually the case, I am posting in a thread I know nothing about. No. I've not read the book. Should I see it, and the title sticks in my mind, I will give it the once-over - and perhaps buy it.
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Hello,

I think you should read the book. It's really good. It's a very fast read, and it's very easy to relate to the author.

What is everyone doing for the Holidays? I am looking forward to spending some time with my family.

Cheers!

Happy Holidays!

Natalie
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Thanks for the referral, Natalie. There is nothing that pleases me more than time spent reading (almost nothing, anyway). I'll def. keep my eyes peeled.

Christmas for me always, always = family. I'm very lucky to have some close members left, and I never want to take that for granted, as I know how fleeting life is. We are 'immortal' while alive, but that's a survival tactic.

Thanks again for the recommendation, and enjoy your holidays,

Linda.
aerolls

Post by aerolls »

Natalie,

on what page is this reference to Leonard Cohen in Eat Pray Love? I'm in the process of working on a presentation on Leonard Cohen for my University level English Creative Writing Seminar. Our professor wants us to select an author who has inspired us over the years and my selection is Leonard Cohen.

I need the page number to use in my paper and presentation. My wife has misplaced her copy of Gilbert's book.

Thanks,

Adrian
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

peter danielsen wrote:It`s from Cohens song Anthem, but I believe I've read and interview where cohen said that he hear a sermon once from which the line was taken
Although I should have known it was taken from somewhere or at least inspired by something/someone (as so many other great lines), I am kind of disappointed now. :cry: Who was it who really came up with that saying then? That preacher is a genius and should claim his copyrights :lol:
Now I can't help thinking that the whole of Anthem might just be a rendition of a sermon LC heard. A little like "Love Itself" which renders Roshi's teachings (in quite a clever and humourous way, admittedly).
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Puddingdale wrote:
peter danielsen wrote:It`s from Cohens song Anthem, but I believe I've read and interview where cohen said that he hear a sermon once from which the line was taken
Although I should have known it was taken from somewhere or at least inspired by something/someone (as so many other great lines), I am kind of disappointed now. :cry: Who was it who really came up with that saying then? That preacher is a genius and should claim his copyrights :lol:
Now I can't help thinking that the whole of Anthem might just be a rendition of a sermon LC heard. A little like "Love Itself" which renders Roshi's teachings (in quite a clever and humourous way, admittedly).
There was a reference in an L.A. Times concert review last year.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... ohn-c.html
." That song contains the line that best sums up Cohen's art of earthbound transcendence. He borrowed it from a teaching from writer Jack Kornfield, who, like Cohen, has trained as a Buddhist monk: "There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's where the light comes in."
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

It's funny, sweet and nostalgic, really, that so many of us have looked at Leonard in the 'past tense' - old photos, old discussion - Old Ideas. We saw him leave to Mt. Baldy, saw him return, heard 10 New Songs and Dear Heather - we were jubilant when we heard news of his FIRST TOUR SINCE G-D KNOWS WHEN...and now, so many of the newer members will truly be reviewing Leonard's life in retrospect (b'day tomorrow'). He's the gift that keeps on giving. As long as there is a place for people to talk about Leonard, whether he be active, or not, we all love talking about him. Our favourite memories, our fave topics, etc. New topics, as this one. I just thought I'd drop that in, as I'm riding on nostalgia now. There is not much more 'future' Leonard to be seen, some, I'm sure, he keeps surprising us. But what fun you guys will have going back, starting at square one, where it all began, seeing the old pics and interpreting the old poems. At first, I was pissed at all the 'newbies' coming out of the woodwork trying to get all the best seats when he first began his touring, but hell, he's yours, ours, everyone's. And what a long strange trip it's been...drink deep of the well that he's left us.
Puddingdale

Post by Puddingdale »

So, I should really go and study Kornfield then! Should have known it was Buddhist or Kabbala or both ;-)
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Har, har... :D

Yeah, well, I was waxing all nostalgic - so maybe I should shift focus and study...uh....Ozzy? Uhm...ha...I guess there IS a world outside of Leonard, then..OKey Doke. I shall go there...
victhpooh

Post by victhpooh »

I once read an article about a man who was stranded in (probably south pole or similar) a cave for a few weeks and the way he kept himself sane was reciting leonard cohen songs and poems to himself!
there is a crack in everything........that's how the light gets in............
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Huh, that's interesting. Leonard has fed the imaginations of more people than he realizes I think. I read a guy's 'sig' or 'quote' somewhere that went "The work of Leonard Cohen is the closest thing I have to prayer". I thought that was pretty powerful. But hands down, the most often used quote of Leonard's is "there is a crack in everything...that's how the light gets in". I've seen it all over the web. Well, I guess you've heard that one too, huh? ;-)
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

linda_lakeside wrote: I'd love for the world to have Leonard Cohen on their lips. We all know how rich in words he is, I'd just like others to take those words into the next generation. Not have them buried away in some dusty old tome for scholars only. I'm not saying it will ever happen, but what they hey, worse things could and will def. happen.
Linda,
I love resurrected threads. Seems you have the gift of prophecy :D
Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “News”