Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
musicmania

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by musicmania »

carlowmike wrote:The Visitor's Book signed by Leonard when he paid a visit to Drumcliffe is now in safe-keeping,
it will be preserved and put on public display at a later stage.
Excellent news! :D

And yeah I see where you are going with the L. Cohen now :D Can't wait to see the final article!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Inscription on Yeats tombstone at Drumcliffe, Sligo.:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by.

W.B. YEATS
June 13th 1865
January 28th 1939.

Final draft for inscription on plaque at Canadian Maple Tree in Lissadell.
{ speckled granite slab - - approx. 3 X 2 ft. on Stand }
{ Unified Heart logo --- centre top }

A CORNER OF LISSADELL FOREVER LEONARD COHEN.

thanks for passing by,
with Love,
sincerely,
L. Cohen Forum, July 2010.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

carlowmike wrote:Inscription on Yeats tombstone at Drumcliffe, Sligo.:

Cast a cold Eye
On Life, on Death.
Horseman, pass by.

W.B. YEATS
June 13th 1865
January 28th 1939.

Final draft for inscription on plaque at Canadian Maple Tree in Lissadell.
{ speckled granite slab - - approx. 3 X 2 ft. on Stand }
{ Unified Heart logo --- centre top }

A CORNER OF LISSADELL FOREVER LEONARD COHEN.

thanks for passing by,
sincerely,
Carlow Mike, your work for Leonard's trip to Sligo has been just fantastic. I bow to you. (and I still owe you a drink, never got to meet up venues or anything just went to enjoy the music!) Glad you liked my idea of 'thanks for passing by' which of course was a reference to the Yeats verse. Looking forward to seeing it in-situ on next trip to Sligo. And, again please let us know where funds can be deposited to cover costs. :D
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

coolfadda wrote: Carlow Mike, your work for Leonard's trip to Sligo has been just fantastic. I bow to you. (and I still owe you a drink, never got to meet up venues or anything just went to enjoy the music!) Glad you liked my idea of 'thanks for passing by' which of course was a reference to the Yeats verse. Looking forward to seeing it in-situ on next trip to Sligo. And, again please let us know where funds can be deposited to cover costs.
Added "with Love," to the inscription since your Post, { does that read okay ? or is it a bit .... :?: }.
Thanks to "musicmania" " coolfadaa" "sandraa" "mabeanie1" "dano" "gilly-rjd" for their input and special thank you to "frelander" for advice and for supplying the fine tree.
I was in touch with Dick Straub, and as much as I would like to involve Forum Members, but following his advice I am very willing to cover cost of Plaque as I do not have facilities for paypal, credit card transactions etc. :idea:

carlowmike ;-)
PS. I just had a phone call from representative of Drumcliffe Church to say that the page from the Visitor's Book will be framed and displayed in the Tea Rooms at Drumcliffe.
Last edited by carlowmike on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Isi

Post by Isi »

[quote="carlowmike I just had a phone call from representative of Drumcliffe Church to say that the page from the Visitor's Book will be framed and displayed in the Tea Rooms at Drumcliffe.[/b][/color][/quote]

Fantastic. Keeps it safe and in vicinity, but preserves the sanctity of the church from all us Cohenites who want to gaze on the signature. Hope they know to secure it well to wherever it is displayed!
Big thanks Carlowmike for all you have done and are continuing to do!
mutti

Post by mutti »

Thank you Carlow Mike (Mick) for this wonderful idea for the tree planting and flowers and shrubs around it.
I love the words that have been chosen for the plaque! just perfect...
I would also like to contribute somehow so you don't have to pay for all of this alone. I am sure there are a lot of us who would like to donate
a small amount to help with the costs and also for the tree...
If you come up with a way please let us know how to pay you.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done...and it was a pleasure spending some time with you in Dublin and Sligo...
Leslie (Mutti) ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Manslady

Post by Manslady »

Wonderful news on the tree planting, plaque, flowers and signature at Drumcliffe.

Thank you Carlowmike and all involved. Much appreciated. And if you do decide to accept contributions towards costs I'd love to add mine.
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

Great idea to have the tree in Lissadell rather than the original location. Fair play!
sebmelmoth2003

bertie ahern

Post by sebmelmoth2003 »

from bertie ahern - the autobiography - page 249 - alluding to his then ignorance about modern pop music :

i'm more of a leonard cohen and neil diamond man myself

refererencing a daughter's marriage to nicky byrne.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by sebmelmoth2003 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 am

from bertie ahern - the autobiography - page 249 - alluding to his then ignorance about modern pop music :

i'm more of a leonard cohen and neil diamond man myself , refererencing his daughter's marriage to nicky byrne.
Ah "poor oul Bertie" but he did attend Leonard's Concert in Kilmainham and spoke highly of it after --
so that makes him one of us 8) ,
just so happens he likes Neil Diamond as well :idea: ...
I'm more of a Leonard Cohen and Neil Young man meself. :!: ... ;-)
Last edited by carlowmike on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharon.e

Post by sharon.e »

Hello from almost the other side of a nasty throat infection.
Guess all the coughing and sneezing on the airplanes got me... (Such a nice welcome home.. :? )

what a beautiful idea, to plant the tree at Lissadell.
It truly belongs there.

If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest an edit to the text.
I thought that adding the context of the concerts would make it more eternal (and couldn't resist the "Born in Chains" context.. I'm too in awe of this song)
English isn't my mother tongue and I'm no poet, so I hope this makes sense:

CORNER OF LISSADELL FOREVER LEONARD COHEN.
A wordsmith, a poet,
thanks for passing by,
on a summer weekend
forever written on our hearts,
sincerely,

Also, I'd like to join all the members that have suggested to contribute to covering the costs of the plaque, tree, driving to Lissadell, etc. I am sure we can find a way to do it.

Next, some photos on the report thread.
Best,
--Sharon
2009 Tel Aviv; San Jose
2010 Sligo [x2] ; Las Vegas [x2]
2012 Berlin; Paris; New York, Brooklyn
2013 London (Sept); Amsterdam
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Carlowmike,
can I suggest you open an account so that we can all pay into it .All you got to do is foward the account number to this thread or open another one for that purpose .Don't be on your own we are all cohenites you have gone beyond and above your call of duty
Cheers
G
:idea:
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Gregor wrote:Carlowmike,
can I suggest you open an account so that we can all pay into it .All you got to do is foward the account number to this thread or open another one for that purpose .Don't be on your own we are all cohenites you have gone beyond and above your call of duty
Cheers
G
:idea:
Good idea!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

carlowmike wrote:
coolfadda wrote: Carlow Mike, your work for Leonard's trip to Sligo has been just fantastic. I bow to you. (and I still owe you a drink, never got to meet up venues or anything just went to enjoy the music!) Glad you liked my idea of 'thanks for passing by' which of course was a reference to the Yeats verse. Looking forward to seeing it in-situ on next trip to Sligo. And, again please let us know where funds can be deposited to cover costs.
Added "with Love," to the inscription since your Post, { does that read okay ? or is it a bit .... :?: }.
Thanks to "musicmania" " coolfadaa" "sandraa" "mabeanie1" "dano" "gilly-rjd" for their input and special thank you to "frelander" for advice and for supplying the fine tree.
I was in touch with Dick Straub, and as much as I would like to involve Forum Members, but following his advice I am very willing to cover cost of Plaque as I do not have facilities for paypal, credit card transactions etc.
I hope to involve Forum Members in stocking the Tree-Garden area with flowers and shrubs from Leonard's lyrics. ( to purchase from Garden Centres ?, we have to think about that :idea: ).
Also I have to discuss this "idea" with Lissadell during my visit there next week. :idea:

carlowmike ;-)
PS. I just had a phone call from representative of Drumcliffe Church to say that the page from the Visitor's Book will be framed and displayed in the Tea Rooms at Drumcliffe.
Hi Carlow Mike, probably too late but you know what they say - if in doubt, leave it out!!
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Okay :!:
I may have lost the run of meself here, ( and not for the first time :oops: )
the original idea for a Plaque was to state on it why we planted a tree.
The suggestion was Posted thus:
carlowmike wrote August 9th: The Canadian Maple tree will soon have a permanent home on the grounds of Lissadell, (near the Concert area).
Looking for suggestions for a suitable inscription on a Granite Plaque to be erected at the site .
Here are two ideas :
"Planted to commemorate the visit to Sligo of Leonard Cohen and his Band"
From The Leonard Cohen Forum, July 2010.
or;
"A corner of Sligo that is forever Leonard Cohen"
Planted by The Leonard Cohen Forum, July 2010.
I then looked for suggestions from Members to improve on above, since then we have ignored the advice of sandraa:
sandraa wrote Aug. 10th: Simplicity is always the answer with these things "

There have been many fine contributions to date from members.
We want to incorporate as many contributions as possible but must focus on the tree and why it is planted in Lissadell.
Otherwise we could end up with an inscription as long as one of Leonard's longest songs ~~~~~~~~~
(but no where near as good :D ).
With that in mind I have to look again at our efforts and meet an extended deadline by tomorrow.
We have a plan but must cooperate with Lissadell people and "another" party as well.
So relax, while as the song says " I'm reviewing the situation" ;-)

Return to “The World Tour 2010”