Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Manslady

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by Manslady »

Here's Leonard's signature in the Visitors Book at Drumcliffe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60339214@N00/4868885914/

Mary.
Every heart to love will come, but like a refugee

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Sellotaped back in, dear me. (note to the people at Drumcliff, do invest in a nice hard back bound book to write signatures in!) By the way, what date was beside the signature?
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
loki17ie

Post by loki17ie »

loki17ie wrote:Hi, was up at Lissadell last week-end. It's a great spot but would be worried about traffic on the road out there
Well, traffic apart, what a great week-end in Sligo last week. And what a super concert on Saturday night. Great to read all the reviews and comments here and to see that everyone else was captivated by the great magician who just seems to get better and better. Or was it Yeat's fairies who sprinkled some magic dust over the place to welcome his fellow-poet? Between the two of them we didnt stand a chance of not being ensnared into their enchanted world.

Where the wave of moonlight glosses
The dim grey sands with light,
Far off by furthest Rosses
We foot it all the night,
Weaving olden dances
Mingling hands and mingling glances
Til the moon has taken flight;
To and fro we leap
And chase the frothy bubbles,
While the world is full of troubles
And anxious in it's sleep.
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Manslady wrote:Here's Leonard's signature in the Visitors Book at Drumcliffe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60339214@N00/4868885914/

Mary.
Thanks for sharing Mary.

I see Adams wifes signature is underneath it.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Manslady

Post by Manslady »

burningviolin wrote:Sellotaped back in, dear me. (note to the people at Drumcliff, do invest in a nice hard back bound book to write signatures in!) By the way, what date was beside the signature?
Yes! I'm a bit concerned about it's survival! The page was just taped in the top corner and as a result it sticks out from the other pages. It's all a bit strange / funny out there ... some visitors are obviously waiting for the church porch to be empty so they can nip in for a quick look at the book ... hard to know how many people are actually coming to see Leonard's signature and how many are there solely for the Yeats' experience! It seems like it might be a good idea to 'preserve' the book somehow ... it's obviously going to continue to attract attention and I can't see it surviving even all the 'well-intentioned' handling (my own included!). The notion of it being taken away for safe-keeping brings up the question ... what's to be done with it? ... a glass case to display the Visitors Book with Leonard's signature from when he came to pay his respects to Yeats' ? !! (Fitting, perhaps!!) :?

There was no date in the column beside his signature.

@ Musicmania ... Glad to be near enough to be able to pop out there for the photo a second time!! I wondered who Jes was! :)

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Manslady wrote:
burningviolin wrote:Sellotaped back in, dear me. (note to the people at Drumcliff, do invest in a nice hard back bound book to write signatures in!) By the way, what date was beside the signature?
Yes! I'm a bit concerned about it's survival! The page was just taped in the top corner and as a result it sticks out from the other pages. It's all a bit strange / funny out there ... some visitors are obviously waiting for the church porch to be empty so they can nip in for a quick look at the book ... hard to know how many people are actually coming to see Leonard's signature and how many are there solely for the Yeats' experience! It seems like it might be a good idea to 'preserve' the book somehow ... it's obviously going to continue to attract attention and I can't see it surviving even all the 'well-intentioned' handling (my own included!). The notion of it being taken away for safe-keeping brings up the question ... what's to be done with it? ... a glass case to display the Visitors Book with Leonard's signature from when he came to pay his respects to Yeats' ? !! (Fitting, perhaps!!) :?

@ Musicmania ... Glad to be near enough to be able to pop out there for the photo a second time!! I wondered who Jes was! :)

I confess it took me a few moments to realise and then I checked Adams FB page to be sure. I've posted the pic on my profile for all to see. I like your idea of a glass case for the page, especially if it is only hanging in there. I wonder who we could contact to make this happen....
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Manslady wrote: The notion of it being taken away for safe-keeping brings up the question ... what's to be done with it? ... a glass case to display the Visitors Book with Leonard's signature from when he came to pay his respects to Yeats' ? !! (Fitting, perhaps!!) :?

Well being taken away for safe keeping sometimes leads to things falling into oblivion but a glass case would be ok I think. When I was there on Monday most people were taking a LOT of time to sign the book, basically looking and looking for the signature. In the end I said to the lady next to me, " Are you doing what I'm doing, looking for his signature" and then everyone admitted that yes, thats what they were doing. Very funny. So we collectively all had a look to try to find it, but didn't. Nice to know it turned up. I really hope it's for real.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
Isi

Post by Isi »

Manslady wrote:[
Something funny (strange) definitely happened to the signature. I went there on Monday also, and saw that fake ' L. Cohen, Montreal' signature - not 'Leonard', no 'sublime'. It bugged me so much that I went back again on Thursday and found the real signature, but the page was sellotaped back into the book!! I hope it survives. I'll post a photo shortly.
Thanks so much for this, Manslady. It has been really bugging me to think it might have been taken by someone, but I also would have concerns about its survival.
Manslady

Post by Manslady »

@burningviolin - I had a similar funny experience on Monday, but what we found was the fake signature!! (I've a photo of that too!!) I do believe its the real one I photographed on Thursday. Passed that way today and thought about checking it was still there, but didn't ... getting slightly concerned about my obsessive tendencies! ;-) Was also a bit afraid I'd discover it was gone missing again and that would be too upsetting!

@Isi - No problem. Glad I found it and could share it here.

I wonder what kind of response a Forum member would get if they contacted the Rector at Drumcliffe about 'securing' the book?!

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Manslady wrote:@burningviolin - I had a similar funny experience on Monday, but what we found was the fake signature!! (I've a photo of that too!!) I do believe its the real one I photographed on Thursday. Passed that way today and thought about checking it was still there, but didn't ... getting slightly concerned about my obsessive tendencies! ;-) Was also a bit afraid I'd discover it was gone missing again and that would be too upsetting!

@Isi - No problem. Glad I found it and could share it here.

I wonder what kind of response a Forum member would get if they contacted the Rector at Drumcliffe about 'securing' the book?!
I'd imagine he would understand where we are coming from!

burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Manslady wrote: getting slightly concerned about my obsessive tendencies! ;-)
Lol I've been where you're hanging I think I can see how you're pinned! I think it may be obligatory to have obsessive tendencies in order to be a forum member! :D
Manslady

Post by Manslady »

burningviolin wrote:
Lol I've been where you're hanging I think I can see how you're pinned! I think it may be obligatory to have obsessive tendencies in order to be a forum member! :D
I'm working on it! :lol:

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

Great to see the signature- thank you to those who photographed it.
I share your concerns but appreciate that he signed his name along with everyone else and I'm assuming wasn't treated differently to anyone else. It's a fully functioning Church of Ireland with the unusual advantage of having a famous poet buried outside. It's admirable that they don't charge admission even though i've been there so many times and never noticed a voluntary donation made by anyone. I wonder could they not just start a new book and leave the other for safe keeping.
Lissadell Church of Ireland has much more of a poignancy for me and unfortunately it's kept locked.The Gore Booth sisters had such a difficult time during the last years of the family residing in Lissadell,eventually residing in one room while they were hounded by the government of the day.
I'm sure the Church of Ireland Gazette would be an interesting place to raise the signature issue. There were a few very high ranking Cof Ireland clergy at the concert.
Isi

Post by Isi »

Manslady wrote:
burningviolin wrote:
I'm working on it! :lol:
I had jokingly suggested camping on Yeats' grave for the weekend - now that would have been obsessive! Now I'm just wishing I had camped at Mullaghmore for the weekend - a much more acceptable form of obsession, and not liable to raise eyebrows. But despite calling at Mullaghmore twice over the weekend, I was not fortunate to meet Leonard or any of the entourage, but am really happy for those who did. I guess my bit of good fortune was to be able to get two second row tickets for the Sunday night concert, and I will live long in the afterglow of that! :D
Manslady

Post by Manslady »

@ Sandraa. You're welcome and good points.

@ Isi. Drumcliffe camp? Great idea!! :lol: I had to give myself a brief talking to on Monday, to remind myself of my great fortune in being at the concert Sunday night. I'd been out the coast at Mullaghmore Thursday night, oblivious to the presence of greatness back in the village, and again on Sunday before the concert. When I heard too late on Monday that Leonard and the band stayed there, I was so disappointed for a while but then, like you, I saw the big picture! :)

Dublin 2008
Sligo 2010
Barcelona 2012

Return to “The World Tour 2010”