CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
loki17ie

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by loki17ie »

Did Leonard stay in the Pier Hotel in Mullaghmore? Heard he was staying in Lissadell House
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
seastar

Post by seastar »

Yes he did....
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

loki17ie wrote:Did Leonard stay in the Pier Hotel in Mullaghmore? Heard he was staying in Lissadell House
On my June trip to Sligo I was actually in that hotel to use the facilities after spending a few hours at Lissadell. It was very nice.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
loki17ie

Post by loki17ie »

Damn, was in there on Sunday for a few drinks. Would have gone back to-day if we had known.
2008 Kilmainham (Dublin), Amsterdam
2009 O2 (Dublin), Nimes
2010 Lissadell (Sligo),
2012 Kilmainham (Dublin)
2013 Bercy (Paris), O2 Dublin
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

I really don't have the words to describe the last two evenings I spent in the company of Leonard Cohen and 9,999 others at Lissadel! Nothing comes close, not even the concerts (LC or otherwise) that I've been to. My favourite of the two concerts was Saturday night and a 'Singer Must Die'. Such irony of the lines 'the lie his voice' because, he seemed as though he was really enveloped by the music all night and really didn't want to leave the stage at the end. The whole second half felt so intimate like we were all in a small little pub somewhere after hours and having a tuneful session. The band as always are top class and there were some really nice musically rewarding arrangements. 'Born in Chains' is a superb song. I have to admit I wasn't all that looking forward to new material when there are so many older songs that I know and love and wanted to hear. (though I was delighted to hear Chelsea Hotel having never heard it before) but all of the new material is polished and sounds great.

Overall, I had a magical weekend in Sligo that I will never forget. It was so nice to see old friends and to meet so many new friends. I would encourage all forum members, whether you are a prolific poster or a reader to go to a meetup if there is one happening. It's well worth it. Thanks to Somewhat_Nifty for being the Thelma to my Louise or vice versa (minus the murder or the cliff at the end!) and for braving the road trip from Cork to Claremorris and on to Sligo. We were rewarded with sea weed baths, spa treatments, stunning scenery, and a wonderful evening!

Leonard left his hotel today to rounds of applause, I was there and I caught a some of it on camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-GocHauah0
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Sunday Night.

First we Take Manhattan

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1GPMwhsgDY

enjoy

albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

IrishAL wrote:Sunday Night.

First we Take Manhattan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1GPMwhsgDY

enjoy

albert
Impressively steady hand there, IrishAL, thanks for posting. What a wonderful way to end the night. The band sounded very tight but loose, and looked to be enjoying playing as much as the audience loved hearing it.
Will... If It Be Your Will
Kali

Post by Kali »

Morning blues this morning faced back to reality and still on a buzz from the weekend............that means back to the office this morning, what a contrast!

Thought Saturday was the best concert, especially the second half!!!! hope he comes back next year, loved the new songs, jazzy and cool!!!! does anyone know if he is considering `london 2010/2011
duma

Post by duma »

I just returned from wonderful Ireland where I had been priviledged enough to enjoy the Saturday concert at Lissadell House. Very unfortunately, I wasn't able to extend my stay for the Sunday night concert as well...therefore, I would like to ask if there would be a good recording availale ? I myself have a nice recording of the Saturday night availale for a trade... ;-) You may contact me directly at lemcke2000@web.de

Thanks a lot !
clo

Post by clo »

Having just returned from the wonderful concerts in Sligo, and trying to digest the effect it's had on me, I'm thinking how I'd love to read Leonard's thoughts on how it's been for him. How has he found it to be back on the road? How does he make sense (or not) of the overwhelming response he has received? Has it challenged him physically, spiritually, emotionally? Wouldn't it be so great to read his reflections on all this........?
2008: Dublin(2), Lucca, Cardiff,
2009: Dublin(2), Lisbon,
2010: Sligo(2)

There are things you can't reach. But you can reach out to them, - Mary Oliver
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Two sensational concerts. The more I think about it, I have them level pegging with Kilmainham and they were in a higher league altogether to the O2 shows last year. Think the second night edged it for me. It certainly had the best pre interval set of any Leonard gig I've attended. His voice was in beautiful shape. Second half of first night probably better tho. Sensational atmosphere and the (lightish) rain probably helped if anything! Overall, 2 nights I won't forget in a hurry.

Big thanks to Sue for some last minute info on the Sunday which led to a B3 ticket. Great view and perfect sound.
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

Hi

Just spent the last couple of days trying to think of what i can say about the concert on Saturday night. I went with my wife who admittedly was somewhat apprehensive about going but went mostly because of me. She saw him with me in Kilmainham and loved it then , so i thought she may enjoy another show, I went last yeat to the point and enjoyed that one. I was expecting more of the same and was not expecting the legend to change anything. The first half of the show for me was ok, we knew the songs , and got what we expected. But the second half blew me away. It was just one great song after another. We were getting wet and it was cold, but to be honest i didn't notice or care. A singer must die for me was the song of the night. Suzzane is my favurite song and it somewhat annoys me that it only plays a bit part of the show. It went by and then straight into another song. The new songs were great, very bluesy , i think Feel so good is my favurite and the fact that this was actually different to the previous version made it extra special.
The concert just blew me away. Once slow long mariane was played and everyone stood up, it was just magic. And throwing in Lover lover lover was the finsest way to end a show that i didn't want to end. It was by far the best concert i have gone to, i thought nothing could surpase kilmainham but this was far better, both vocally, and the atmosphere was amazing.
The only downside was the trouble of getting to and getting out of the place, we stayed in a local b&b in carney and we had to get a bus to ands from, we did get one eventually , after the concert that organisation of the busses were a joke. we ended up walking home which was a bit dangerous but there was a few of us, but the stewards didn't really care and didn't have a clue. So although it was a great venu, i don't think i would go back again. Unless of Course if Cohen came back.
So in ending it was a brilliant night and well worth the money
all the best
amcgee
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

We got out of the shuttle bus and were walking towards the venue on Saturday afternoon. It was muddy... One of the drivers for the Irish Wheelchair Association asked us if we wanted a lift, so we got onboard.

We approached the gates to the venue, which were closed to the public. Outside the gates, a small crowd watched the band soundchecking - on the screens, you could see himself facing the band, as they played The Gipsy's Wife. Our small coach was waved through and we also got to listen to The Webb Sisters perform If It Be Your Will from just outside the turnstiles.

Pretty cool!

The show itself was great, as detailed already.

My favourite moment - during Famous Blue Raincoat, Dino performed a fantastic solo. The crowd roared afterwards but he kept a solemn face, in keeping with the song's dramatic tone. But the crowd kept on cheering and cheering for him for so long, that he couldn't help but crack a smile.
kieron

Post by kieron »

Wonderful concert on Saturday night. Great performance by all. I think Leonard enjoyed himself. I dont think it surpassed the Kilmainham weekend. Each evening in the Royal Hospital had a magic that would be impossible to replicate. But in saying that it doesn't matter, Leonard was sublime in Lissadel. He could perfom in a wheelie bin and it would still be special. Lovely to see he made time to visit Drumcliff and also open Eddie Walshe's Yeats museum. Highlights for me were The Darkness, Marianne in the rain and FBR. Thanks Mr Cohen, travel well.
"A terrible beauty is born" WB Yeats.
qbera6

Post by qbera6 »

keanrn5y wrote:I thought the show was fantastic, even better that the Belfast show last year. The only issue i had with it was the people located i directly behind me, in seats 52 - 55 of block A, row E. Ive been to over 100 concerts in the last 15 years (most of them rock and metal concerts) and never have i encountered people like those who had abosultely no respect for their fellow concert goers. From the very start of the show, they never shut up, talking/shouting (absolute rubbish), laughing out loud through out the entire show as if they were in a pub. It got so bad that one of the men (not kid) stated out loud several times that he was going to expose his privates. The red head woman amongst them, swore at the elderly couple sitting beside me (although i dont think they knew it was directed at them) stating to them something like 'if you were enjoying the show, you would stand up for f"@k sake'. which was at the end of a slow number. Yet at times they were not even listening to the show, for example it was the second line of Hallelujah before she realised it was being played. When Leonard would address the audience, they repeatedly talked over him. Again laughing/mouthing outloud that i turned around to tell them to shut up, and the guy blamed the woman amongst them and still ignored me.

I couldnt understand why people would pay 115 euro for tickets to travel over here (they were not irish) and get totally pissed to the stage they had to act like this. If this was kids, we would have complained about them and probably had them ejected, but it was adults. They were an absolute disgrace. We were there to listen to Cohen and not these wasters. If you are one of those which im complaining about, reading this and and think this is rubbish, its sad for you if you think that way, probably too drunk to remember. I just hope that for anyone who is at tonights show, if these people are there again and located near you, try and not let it affect the show.

Other than that, was a fantastic show

Thanks

I must have been sitting next to you! i think me and my boyfriend were seats 49-50 or 50-51 in row D and the people you are desribing above were really annoying us as well. I've never met such an obnoxious bunch of people at a concert...they were drunk, really loud and disrispectful.

Concert was amazing though. I've seen Leonard playing 8 times over the last 3 years and Sligo was for me probably the best one.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”