CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, Ireland, July 31 & August 1, 2010

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Mabeanie1

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Sligo, July 31 & August 1, 2010

Post by Mabeanie1 »

sturgess66 wrote: "A friend who is a very powerful healer told me that Leonard Cohen's voice has a particular effect on people's energy so I came to find out if that was true," she said. "It's true. It actually relaxes your energy enough so that if you could have that sound in the healing session, that would heal people."

Irish Independent
A Chinese medical practictioner finds out what we all instinctively knew all along and I have finally found my excuse - I am simply undergoing a prolonged course of medical treatment!

Wendy
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

sturgess66 wrote:"messalina79" Thanks!

"Feels So Good"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtoP3jXQ1bU

WOW. New arrangements - new lyrics. Sounds so good!! :D :D
Yeah that was excellent, thanks for posting! His voice sounds a bit more gravelly here but it just adds to the pleasure of the experience.
Isi wrote:To all those sad delusional women who thought Leonard was singing for them last night...he wasn't, he was singing exclusively for ME
:lol:

If you had a dollar for every woman who admitted thinking that you'd be rich overnight.
Will... If It Be Your Will
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

from Twitter: Emccso
Leaving the Pier Hotel Mullaghmore on the way to Knock Airport (12 minutes ago)

2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Who needs twitter when we've got Arlene! Amazing how on top of it all you are, thanks. These are great and help those of us who can't be there share in the experience. Look how excited they all are! So genuine, so nice to see.
Will... If It Be Your Will
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

And to think this all probably came about because of a little thread titled Leonard for Ireland posted by Irishmar!

M
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

friscogrl wrote:And to think this all probably came about because of a little thread titled Leonard for Ireland posted by Irishmar!
Marsha, I had the same thought this morning. And let's not forget the fortuitous line up at the coffee shop at Caesars Palace in Las vegas last November, when Marie was standing just behind LC and Ed Sanders. "Please come back to Ireland". Now how could anyone refuse Marie anything. :D

You rock, Marie.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Irish Al,

Your videos of Hallelujah and So Long Marianne were wonderful. That must have been some concert. I would have loved to have been there. Leonard looks very happy and was having a great time that is plain to see. Ireland suits him and brings out his best performances. Keep up the great work also Al.

Thank you.
Cheshire gal
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
KaimiK

Post by KaimiK »

Spectacular videos, I felt like I was there! I love how around minute 4 in Irish Al's "So Long Marianne", Leonard stops singing and just watches and listens to his adoring fans singing the chorus. He looks so pleased, in that humble, school-boyish, charming smile that is pure Leonard!
You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. You folded your distance back into my heart.
Karen 01

Post by Karen 01 »

Just back in Belfast after an amazing concert last night. 3rd time seeing him and each time thought I had seen the best one until I am completely blown away again! The concert venue was stunning and definitely added to the magic and he played my favourite" Chelsea Hotel", hadn't heard him sing it live so that made my night. Had no trouble getting to and from the concert on the priority buses and everyone in Sligo was so helpful and friendly. The pics of him outside his hotel are amazing, would have killed to get that close to him, but I am more than satisfied with my 3+ hours of wonderful music. Any chance of him coming back to Ireland?
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

http://www.sbpost.ie/news/ireland/cohen ... 50849.html
Cohen Brings Poetry Back to Yeats Country
01 August 2010

It started with a first edition of WB Yeats, but could end up becoming a lucrative business opportunity for the owners of Lissadell House.

When legendary song-writer and musician Leonard Cohen was in Ireland last year doing a series of concerts for John Reynolds’ Pod Concerts, the promoter gave Cohen a first edition of Yeats’s poetry. Cohen, himself a poet, is an admirer of Sligo’s literary giant who, in 1933, wrote:

The light of evening, Lissadell,
Great windows open to the south,
Two girls in silk kimonos, both
Beautiful, one a gazelle.

It gave Reynolds the idea of Cohen playing at Lissadell House in Sligo, where Yeats spent much time with the Gore-Booth family, particularly the two girls of the poem, sisters Eva and Constance. Constance went on to become the only female member of the first Dáil [and the first woman government minister in Europe] under her married name, Countess Markiewicz.

Reynolds then went on to cajole the owners of Lissadell, Constance Cassidy and Eddie Walsh, into opening the house up to its first music concert ever.

Cohen will take to the stage tonight for his second of two concerts at the house, following a ‘homecoming’ concert by Westlife which took place on Friday night.

‘‘When John spoke to us, we were closed and were not considering anything like this, but when it was Leonard Cohen, who is such a Yeats fan and such a great poet himself, it would have been dreadful to say no," said Isobel Cassidy, manager of Lissadell Estate and sister of Constance.

‘‘We were not sure if such a production was even possible but John said it would be.

We said, ‘Okay, it’s difficult, but we are going to make it happen’ and then everyone just got on board to make it come together."

Cassidy said that all those involved in organising the event were extremely conscious of what Lissadell was and of its surroundings.

‘‘A great deal of care went into all the decisions made - we were aware that this could not be just treated like a concert. It is an intimate event, which is a word that would normally never be used about an outdoor concert.

The concerts are taking place right beside the house and in a natural amphitheatre." As of last Friday, there were still some of the 10,000 tickets, which ranged in price from€80 to €115, left for tonight’s concert, but they were expected to be sold out by today.

‘‘Whether or not they sell out, we are extremely happy with the sales and feel it’s been a success," said Cassidy. She said that the location had thrown up a great number of challenges along the way, but that there was a general air of excitement in the town about the €3 million financial boost the concerts would give to the area.

‘‘There has been this feeling that the town has been in a bubble of excitement about something so unique.

Everyone is talking about it and we really feel it will give a good boost to the local economy," said Cassidy. ‘‘When Sligo lost the stage of the rally [World Rally Championships] last year, it really was a huge kick for the county, but we hope this will help in some way. There is not a bed available for 30 miles this weekend and that’s great for the town and the county."

Local businesses, mainly from the Sligo and Donegal regions, are also involved in the event and have set up food and drink stalls on the grounds of Lissadell.

Cassidy also said the concerts would have a longer-term boost for the local economy.

‘‘To bring 30,000 people into the area and show them what we have to offer has a huge long-lasting effect. When people see Sligo, and particularly the views from the concert venue, they will want to come back again," she said.

‘‘As well as the house, from your seats, people will be able to see the majestic table-top mountain of Ben Bulben behind the stage, Knocknarea to the right and Sligo Bay to the left. People will look around and think, we are going to have to come back here again."

Whether or not they will be coming back to Lissadell for concerts in the future is still undecided. Concerts at the stately home could become a lucrative business proposition for the family.

‘‘We really don’t know yet," said Cassidy. ‘‘It wasn’t our intention to have concerts here in the first place. We are just taking it on a day-by-day basis.

‘‘We are delighted that this has brought the place alive and it’s all very positive, but it’s impossible to say any more at this stage apart from that it has been a fantastic opportunity to get involved in."
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Just home from Sligo

I want to say a HUGE thank you to Carlow mike for givine me the free ticket. I ended up in the front row.
What a night, what a place, what a concert.

Great to see so many friends old and new.

From the bottom of my heart.
Thanks again

love Tinderella
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

I arrived home this morning at 4.40 am having witnessed two of the best concerts ever. I have been a fan since 1968 and to be able to see Leonard Cohen in person and to have my wife two of my grown-up children witness the phenomenon that he is - that was for me the highlight. We got to hear 3 new songs (of which Born in Chains is my favourite) and some of the classics that I had not hear at previous concerts esp. Lover Lover Lover.
To borrow from Born in Chains:
Thanks you for coming to Ireland again. Blessed is your presence.
Thank you for having such a superb band. Blessed is their music.
Thank you for all the pleasure you have given me over 42 years. Blessed is your music.
Your journey continues. Blessed be your travels.
You skip on and off the stage. Blessed be your health and stamina.
You make an audience feel like your friends. Blessed be your grace and humility.
If or when you decide to retun to Ireland: Blessed be your return.
Hallelujah for L. Cohen.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Isi wrote:
Manslady wrote: Last night's concert was definately the best I have ever seen - and I think ever will see again. He is an impossible act to follow.
And that is a fact.
jdhayes wrote:I arrived home this morning at 4.40 am having witnessed two of the best concerts ever. I have been a fan since 1968 and to be able to see Leonard Cohen in person and to have my wife two of my grown-up children witness the phenomenon that he is - that was for me the highlight. We got to hear 3 new songs (of which Born in Chains is my favourite) and some of the classics that I had not hear at previous concerts esp. Lover Lover Lover.
To borrow from Born in Chains:
Thanks you for coming to Ireland again. Blessed is your presence.
Thank you for having such a superb band. Blessed is their music.
Thank you for all the pleasure you have given me over 42 years. Blessed is your music.
Your journey continues. Blessed be your travels.
You skip on and off the stage. Blessed be your health and stamina.
You make an audience feel like your friends. Blessed be your grace and humility.
If or when you decide to retun to Ireland: Blessed be your return.
Hallelujah for L. Cohen.
Wonderful tribute!

What would I have given to have been that lucky woman whose hand he held outside the hotel.......

I have decided that I don't want to risk this being the last time I see Leonard live and I'm going to do my utmost to go to the Katowice concert in October. It will mean getting a bank loan but I work full time in a perminent job so it is a risk I can afford to take.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
jleslee

Post by jleslee »

Just home after an amazing weekend :D :D when we learned that Leonard was returning once more to Ireland we wanted to celebrate it in a special way,so we got married early Saturday morning and headed down south to spend our honeymoon with the great Leonard Cohen.What more could any girl want than to have her first dance to 'Dance me to the end of love' sung live by their mutual hero :D other highlights of the evening were The Gypsy's wife,The famous blue raincoat and Feels so good..
Thank you to Leonard and his band for making my wedding day so special and one i'll never forget and thanks to all the fans that made the experience so magical :razz:
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

jleslee wrote:Just home after an amazing weekend :D :D when we learned that Leonard was returning once more to Ireland we wanted to celebrate it in a special way,so we got married early Saturday morning and headed down south to spend our honeymoon with the great Leonard Cohen.What more could any girl want than to have her first dance to 'Dance me to the end of love' sung live by their mutual hero :D other highlights of the evening were The Gypsy's wife,The famous blue raincoat and Feels so good..
Thank you to Leonard and his band for making my wedding day so special and one i'll never forget and thanks to all the fans that made the experience so magical :razz:
WOW! What an amazing story. Congratulations!!!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"

Return to “The World Tour 2010”