11%
The Future
8%
Ten New Songs
7%

Total votes: 76
witty_owl

Post by witty_owl »

I would simply like to reiterate my immense liking and high regard for Ten New Songs and proudly wear my "phillistine" badge for standing up and saying so. :D
Thank you Leonard and Sharon for producing such a 'dismally', 'low grade' collection of songs for the hearing impaired. (Is that politically correct?) :P The appeal must be due to the deafening over-exposure to loud music on stage as is the fate of all of us OLD rockers.
No doubt about the old party sniper; he's up to his old form as the lonely guerrilla, demonstrating his impeccable social graces. :twisted:
Don't y'all just love the scrutiny of that steely eye. :roll: Oh! I almost forgot- I do like all the other albums from L. that I have heard. Especially the razor contemplations. How "silly" of me to nominate a favourite. Indulge that One :!:

Cheers, Witty Owl.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

I liked "That Don't make it Junk" on TNS. Otherwise thought the album was bland and could LC sing any slower...I don't think so.

Loved VP.

(I hope his next album is filled with "That Don't make it Junk" songs. Real country and western but please pick up the tempo.)

M
margaret

Post by margaret »

I voted for Various Positions, mainly as it was the first one I bought and it was the one that got me hooked.
glyn

Post by glyn »

It had to be Songs of Love and Hate. tho' it could have been any of them except the newest as something significant has happened to me with each album. I'm just waiting.
glyn
goblinski

Post by goblinski »

Just voted for Songs of love and hate - but I have to say I'm shocked at the poor showing for Songs of Leonard Cohen - every single moment on it is perfect. Is it just cos it's too 'obvious'?
All I ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.

http://www.richardgodwin.co.uk
catherine

Post by catherine »

I wonder why nobody voted the Phil Spector and Lennie masterpiece, I think it´s though somewhat crazy, a fine album and definitely my second favourite. Love and 8) .
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I don't remember that one, Catherine ~ "Love and Cool" :wink:

~ Lizzy :D
catherine

Post by catherine »

I mean "Death of a ladies´ man", which was arranged and produced by Phil spector . Wasn`t it? :oops:
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Just goodheartedly teasing you, Catherine :D ~ Yes, Phil Spector, indeed, had a 'heavy hand' [look at that phrase in any number of ways :wink: ] in "Death Of....."
JRBAcct

Here goes!

Post by JRBAcct »

As one must choose amongst the profound works from such an artist, I will humbly elect "Various Positions" as my first choice; with

I am Your Man a close second - as it was this tour that I got to see the man close up - just 5 feet away - in a concert in 1992 in obscure Ottawa, Canada.

And for my third choice - So Long Nancy, It Seems so Long Ago.

And here's to New York which will never be the same once the Cohenites have invaded their obscure land.

Cheers to you all and to all a merry good evening.

:arrow:
Welcome to my humble abode.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi JRBAcct ~

Are you coming to New York?

~ Lizzy
JRBAcct

To Lizzy who asked.

Post by JRBAcct »

Yes, I will be in NY.

And may I add, the only album I can truly state that I do not like of Mr. LC is "Death of a Ladies Man".

When I first became a LC fan, this album nearly deterred me from buying further albums and adding to my collection.

Is this the true LC?

See you there.
Welcome to my humble abode.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

At last ~ a clear-cut "Yes" to that question! I look forward to meeting you :D and glad that you won't be missing the Event 8) . Please introduce yourself :) . I'll be at the Registration tables.

I'd say "the real Leonard" has emerged in myriad ways, that do not necessarily include "Death of a Ladies Man."
kleinschmidt

Post by kleinschmidt »

I can't believe that I'm the only one who voted for "New skin..." as L.C's best album. There isn't a bad song on the album, and all of them are among his best. Could it be that the album isn't as accessible as the rest? It took me a long time to grow fond of songs like Field Commander Cohen, A singer must die, I tried to leave you and Leaving Green sleeves(my favourite), but after a while they become little pieces of heaven.
The rest of the songs aren't accessible either, and deserves all the attention they can get. "New Skin..." is definitely my desert-island-cohen-album, with nothing but amazing songs.
And last...What's the deal with people voting for ten new songs as L.C's best work. I respect your opinion and all, but i don't understand. "Ten new songs" is good, but it's not great, which I think you can say of all the other albums, they're nothing but great (Not too sure with calling "DOALM" great, maybe it's just good...no wait...Iodine, Don't go home with your gigantic boner, Memories...yes it's GREAT.
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

"Ten new songs" is good, but it's not great
You are being overly generous klein. Setting aside the lyris for one moment, it is musical garbage. The fact that the master is rushing out another album so soon by his standards attests to this. I commend you on your choice. For many years i shared it, but now i could not choose only one. Therefore i did not vote.

p.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”