A poem for an older George

This is for your own works!!!
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

A poem for an older George

Post by Byron » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:39 pm

A poem for an older George on this special day. It is an old poem and used by Morris Dancers in village festivities.

" Here come I, St. George;
From Britain did I spring.
I'll fight the Dragon bold,
My wonders to begin.
I'll clip his wings,
He shall not fly;
I'll cut him down
Or else I die!"

Bye the way, he was from Palestine. That fact alone is worthy of a little mental note. A thousand years ago, a Palestinian became the Patron Saint of England. A well known European country. Perhaps some well meaning soul would like to throw a drop or two of acid on that one. It is his birthday, but don't let that stop you from ignoring a thousand years of human history and having a go at him and us. After all, who would have thought it? The English celebrate the birthday of a palestinian!
If it does nothing else, I hope it puts everyones' perspective into a true focus of how millions of people have been used, abused, venerated, worshipped and 'sold down the river' for hundreds of centuries.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:13 pm

Ciao Byron!

I have a morsel of acid!

St. George a Palestinian? No, this is not true! His mother was born in Palestine. St. George was born in Anatolia! In Cappadocia! He was born of noble Christian parents. (I know you do not like that!)

St. George was a tribune in the Roman Army.

Vesuvius
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:32 pm

Cappadocia ~ that's also where Rumi was born.
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:55 pm

Ves. If his mother was born in Palestine that means he could play football for Gaza City Rovers. It is academic and a point of discussion as to his homeland. I have been told he was born in Palestine. You have been told otherwise. We have not been told vocally but in collected writings. The truth of the matter is that he was from Palestinian stock. We have have differing views and sources but we can surely agree on that last point?
Neither of us has met him. We can only rely on the sources we have read.
He would probably have been a good striker.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:02 am

Ciao Owl,

My sources are Acta Sancti Georgii and the writings of Metaphrastes. What are your sources?

Vesuvius
Byron

C

Post by Byron » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:23 am

crud
Last edited by Byron on Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:39 am

Ciao Byron!

FOX NEWS, CNN, CBS ???? These are not primary sources. They are American News Outlets. Those dispensers of American propaganda that you hate so much. And you list Washingtonrepost archives. Your link does not work. An archive site is not a primary source.

So much for your facts.

Vesuvius
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:05 am

Ciao Byron!

Editing your posts again I see. :roll:

Vesuvius
Insanitor

Post by Insanitor » Mon May 03, 2004 3:05 am

Garbage!

If his mother was born in Palestine then he is of palestinian background. You aren't anti-palestinian are you vesuvio? And really, the original point was that the guy was made a saint in England when he wasn't even english.

PS Noble does not equal christian (or vice versa)

Ciao!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”