Sligo-Help for newbies.

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Re: Sligo-Help for newbies.

Post by carlowmike »

Although we have been to many of Leonard's concerts to date we have not been to a meetup. We were looking forward to attending a casual meet up if we are around but feel slightly apprehensive after reading some of the posts---not sure what to expect!!!
Yes but many are coming from distant lands ..Sligo is unknown to them..
I only respond to their requests..
travel back a bit on the thread , there are a lot of Cohenites out there asking --
End of day ..it is a get-together for Cohenites pre-concert meet-up..
But they want to know where..they want a Dinner..
They want OUR Cead Mile Failte...I intend to deliver ..
Sligo people have been kind enough to ask what do WE want them to do !....
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

tinderella wrote:HI Alan.... nice to see ya here.

Hope life is good in the wilds of Donegal and great you will get to see the man not too far from home

Have a great time
Thanks Tinderella... sorry you won't be joining in the fun, but THE MAN in my backyard... a dream come true....

be happy.... :D ;-)
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

real-alan wrote : Ah Mike you'd miss me if I went away
I suppose I would..
All this reminds of a piece I compiled in memory of music producer, the late Denny Cordell Lavarack, (google it !)
Therein was this statement:
"And knowing too that should you need the spice of discord at any time to stimulate, you need not go far. The inhabitants will always see both sides of an argument so long as it can result in a fight." :oops:
real-alan brings this quote to mind !

Now with all that off me chest , could we have more suggestions ? PLEASE.......
PS. real-alan contributed a good suggestion and they are taking him up on it :!:
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 28, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

All this reminds of a piece I compiled in memory of music producer, the late Denny Cordell Lavarack, (google it !)
Sorry folks,
I should have said "google him" .....the piece pops up !. carlowmike
rpan

Post by rpan »

Arrangements at the churchyard suggestion
May already have been mentioned to you but I think thought will have to be given to whether this is open and so forth. I would like to go - but cannot help feeling that things could get OUT OF HAND there if 1,000s of people have the same idea. Clarification on that would be good thing.

BTW thanks to all about advice on the walking to the venue idea... am considering the pros and cons.
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Sonichic

Post by Sonichic »

Is there a meeting place for fans from Dublin? In fact are there any fans from Dublin here?
I would also align myself to west of Ireland Fans - given my past :D
speak up people lol :!: :!: :!: :!:
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

[Deleted]
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
real-alan

Post by real-alan »

rpan wrote:Arrangements at the churchyard suggestion
May already have been mentioned to you but I think thought will have to be given to whether this is open and so forth. I would like to go - but cannot help feeling that things could get OUT OF HAND there if 1,000s of people have the same idea. Clarification on that would be good thing.

BTW thanks to all about advice on the walking to the venue idea... am considering the pros and cons.
I don't think there's any way that the churchyard can be other than open.... there wouldn't be an obvious way to cordon it off... (as far as I can remember from my last visit....) - I suspect the problem may be alleviated by the limited parking - there is a car park round by the tea rooms/craft shop, but maybe 20 cars would fit in...? Chances of hundreds being at the grave at the same time will be reduced by this... Incidentally the car park does have something of a reputation for theft from vehicles - probably less of an issue when the place is full, but if you're visiting another time, do hide your valuables away from view....
you may be right, I may be crazy.... but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for...

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah..... plenty
sandraa

Post by sandraa »

A guide to the shops in Sligo would be helpful and they do have some lovely and very individual shops- with the best shoe shop I've been in for a long time.It would be great to highlight some of the businesses especially at such a difficult time for them.
Do we know if there's any disabled parking at Lissadell?
I'm quite happy to collect anyone along the way if that helps.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

Withdrawn.
Last edited by carlowmike on Fri May 21, 2010 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
carlowmike

Post by carlowmike »

by sandraa » Fri May 21, 2010 12:23 am

A guide to the shops in Sligo would be helpful and they do have some lovely and very individual shops- with the best shoe shop I've been in for a long time.It would be great to highlight some of the businesses especially at such a difficult time for them.
Do we know if there's any disabled parking at Lissadell?
I'm quite happy to collect anyone along the way if that helps.
Thank you Sandrea, that is just the type of suggestions that we need :)
Thanks for your offer of assistance.
Did you receive my PM about a photographic display :?:
More suggestions please.
I will lay them all before the "Together For Sligo" meeting next week.
The deadline for submissions is this Saturday.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Edit: As carlowmike has withdrawn his comments, I think it is only fair that I withdraw my resonse to them. However, I have decided to leave my closing words in place as a "warning" reminder. I would hate to see any of these threads stray away from their central theme of excitement, planning and build up to the concerts again in the future.

These personal comments are making the thread very uncomfortable reading for me.

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Fri May 21, 2010 10:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

carlowmike wrote:Sean Cunningham (owner of Shenanigans) attended a meeting last night of Sligo business people,
They have one question for Members of this Forum and for fans of Leonard Cohen:

Are there any suggestions as to how they can contribute to this coming Event to make the weekend a memorable and happy occasion for all of Leonard's fans. ?.

This morning they consulted a Sligo jeweller requesting that he design a badge with logo and inscription "Hearts Desire" on plated gold to commemorate the Event.
Would be nice if we could have LC's music playing in the background during this event.

Will the badge be available for purchase?

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

carlowmike wrote:
This morning they consulted a Sligo jeweller requesting that he design a badge with logo and inscription "Hearts Desire" on plated gold to commemorate the Event.
I assume someone has considered copyright issues if the badge is to be based on an existing design?

W
Sonichic

Post by Sonichic »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
carlowmike wrote: If real-alan continues to cut in with unrelated topics I will have to discontinue
this thread and offer assistance via PM or Email. I do not intend to commence a new thread
as we have experienced real-alan before on another Help thread "Go Sligo Go" and had to close it.
But I will have to seek advice from Jarkko on how best to proceed or if anything can
be done to stop this unseemly behaviour from him on his Forum.
All appeals from me to real-alan have failed.
I cannot for the life of me see why real-alan is spoiling your thread with what look like perfectly sensible comments about parking at the churchyard etc - more relevant it seems to me than a guide to the shoe shops of Sligo.

These personal comments are making the thread very uncomfortable reading for me.

Wendy
Well said Wendy, doesn't feel like "democracy is coming to" Sligo. I happen to think real alan has made a very valid point myself.

Return to “The World Tour 2010”