Anyone for a 2011 LC Euralia Tour?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Andrew (Darby)

Anyone for a 2011 LC Euralia Tour?

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hey friends, I'm sure some of you would support a 2011 LC Euralia Tour (as per your relocation below), say in our summer / your winter:
Eur_Oz.jpg
A study of the map and knowledge of our demographic distribution also suggests that you would be displacing probably no more than 5% of us (given that the location of our major cities is on the periphery of our land mass! ;-)

Anyway, I personally would welcome you all & it would provide a cheaper opportunity for a lot of Aussies to visit a big portion of Europe (that they might not otherwise experience). :D It would certainly revolutionise the Outback for a time - but we're not talking about anything permanent of course! ;-)

Cheers,
Andrew :)

P.S. I'm happy for you moderators to move this to 'Everything Else' if you wish! ;-)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
mat james

Re: Anyone for a 2011 LC Euralia Tour?

Post by mat james »

Great picture Andrew.
I'll be on that tour. All you need to do is convince Leonard.
So Europe is less than 1/2 the area of Australia??? Wow! Is Europe that big? :razz:
We must catch up one day when I get to Melbourne next and have a beer and a chat.
Sometime this year I expect.

Regards, Mat .
"Without light or guide, save that which burned in my heart." San Juan de la Cruz.
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hey Mat, that would be great :D - just PM me when you're about to visit and I'll give you my contact details.

Also, I'm still thinking of organising an LC event down here, so I'll let you know about it when I get my act together in that regard (maybe by the time of LC's 76th birthday)! ;-)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Laura

Post by Laura »

Not sure exactly what kind of logistics you'd have in mind, Andrew... are you planning to move all the European Cohen fans in Australia, as your map shows? ;-) (ok, that doesn't sound so bad...)

Laura
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hey Laura, not just the Cohenite fans ...everyone who is prepared to hang on for the ride of a lifetime (and the good thing is there would be no need to queue at our immigration checkpoints - as we'd be overwhelmed and capitulate on that requirement for the length of Leonard's tour)! ;-)

It would be far more important to land the Europe "aircraft" safely, than anything else! Only quarantine requirements would be enforced, so no bringing strange little furry animals, plants or foodstuff etc! :razz:

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I will reply when I've understood the original post! I like the map though. Does moving Europe to Australia free us from the ash cloud that is currently hanging over us? Come to think of it, we will probably need a cruise ship to get us to the southern hemisphere. Could LC and band provide the onboard entertainment?

Wendy
B4real

Post by B4real »

Very clever Andrew,

Does that mean we Aussies can now go to EVERY Leonard concert without ever leaving home seeing that Europe and the UK are now transplanted here :razz:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
blonde madonna

Post by blonde madonna »

I feel your frustration Andrew!

Maybe if this volcano in Finland keeps playing up, LC will have no choice but to skip Europe and come our way.

BM
the art of longing’s over and it’s never coming back

1980 -- Comedy Theatre, Melbourne
1985 -- State Theatre, Melbourne
2008 -- Hamilton, Toronto, Cardiff
2009 -- Rochford Winery, Yarra Valley
2010 -- Melbourne
2013 -- Melbourne, The Hill Winery, Geelong, Auckland
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Mabeanie1 wrote:...Does moving Europe to Australia free us from the ash cloud that is currently hanging over us? Come to think of it, we will probably need a cruise ship to get us to the southern hemisphere. Could LC and band provide the onboard entertainment?
Wendy
Wendy, there’s no need to take a cruise ship. Iceland’s volcanic activity problem will hopefully be well and truly over by January. Irrespective, by taking that big slab of Europe holus-bolus (perhaps naming it ‘Starship Europe’) and attaching the engines somewhere around Greece and Romania, because you’d be flying in a south easterly direction, there would be no problem with ash intake (affecting the north and western areas) and (in answer to your first question) it would absolutely free you from that ash cloud, as the mighty craft would be dragging any areas affected by it out from underneath it as it moved off on its flight to the southern hemisphere! :razz: [Okay, I must refrain from ingesting those “magic mushrooms”!] ;-)

About LC and band for entertainment, indeed they would surely do one concert on the 20 hour trip, before the tour in earnest started once "Starship Europe" had settled down on Oz! :D However, you would not be able to leave your seats/cities to attend wherever the concert was being performed until some time after take-off - I'm sure you know the safety rules. ;-)

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I'd be up for this, we'd definitely have the best of both worlds :D
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

It's a veeeeeery oooold map of Europe you got there, Andrew my man! :P
Laura

Post by Laura »

tomsakic wrote:It's a veeeeeery oooold map of Europe you got there, Andrew my man! :P

Tom, I have some objections to that map too. Romania also got inside the neighbouring country of Moldavia (but I don't mind, that's how it should actually be); I just supposed that watching from that distance, a country or two more or less just don't matter!

Laura
Paula

Post by Paula »

Andrew by coincidence a friend of mine in Perth sent me this information yesterday

You guys are closer to Athens in London than we are to Sydney

Western Australia is by far the largest state in Australia. We would be the sixth largest country in the world if we could get rid of the other states.

Australia is a massive country but he also sent me this link

We have the most expensive houses in the world in WA http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-pep ... ion-search and look at the prices, top I have heard of was over $55,000,000

Property prices are through the roof and it is 40 degrees too bloody hot!!!!
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Still... How CLOSE Germany (Muenster!) would be to Perth all of a sudden... AND connected to a LC tour! *sigh* Yes, bring it on, I am all for it!!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

tomsakic wrote:It's a veeeeeery oooold map of Europe you got there, Andrew my man! :P
Hey Tom (& Laura), you're both absolutely right, but this map was one I didn't produce myself - it's just "doing the rounds" here. ;-)

Furthermore, it's only an approximation in terms of land mass, as opposed to being an accurate and up-to-date representation of political configurations.

Cheers,
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~

Return to “Comments & Questions”