You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
lizzytysh

Re: You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Allan ~

I've already ccommented on your outstanding list on Facebook, but that does nothing for here, so thank you for doing this once again for us. You're amazing! That's all I have time to say, except that there I was again, last night, alone and laughing out loud ~ as always with your funny material ~ and nearly collapsed with your one-two punch "wide variety of music" piece. Hilarious!

What would we do without you... you've brought and bring us so much love, joy, and goodwill 8) .

Welcome back :D .

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

@ Lizzy: it IS a wide variety of music :shock: :shock: ;-) :lol:

@afanghel: I hope you won´t have your husband reading here ... otherwise you can play LC at the divorce and stay in the hopeless long qeue anyway ;-) ;-)

and Dr. H: Isn´t all this totally normal behaviour :?:

I loved it so much and I´m proud of being afflicted ... :razz: :D
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
holydove

Post by holydove »

RAIN - lol again! Thank you for your beautiful confession; isn't it heart-warming to know that you are not the only one whose daily existence is not only described, revealed, illuminated, & commented on, but also instructed & directed, by Leonard Cohen lyrics! (I presume, of course, that the Sisters of Mercy are hearing our confessions as well. . .)
Rain

Post by Rain »

HolyDove,
It's nice to have an on-line support group for this disorder. We can discuss our symptoms and relay them to the good Dr.H for on-going treatment. I'm about to take it up a notch by going to Montreal in 2 weeks FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of going to the LC artwork exhibit. NO OTHER REASON. Yep, all the way from Kentucky....DRIVING no less! (Yes, we have heard of Leonard Cohen in Kentucky, believe it or not.) You should've seen me breaking THIS bit of news to my hubby....."Darling, how 'bout we take a trip? We haven't been anywhere for so long..." He just looked at me (he knows all about this disorder I have) and asked "Is Leonard Cohen gonna be where were going?" and I said "Sort of." And he still wants to go, so he gets the medal for being the best husband ever...... :D
afanghanel

Post by afanghanel »

Amrei wrote:@ Lizzy: it IS a wide variety of music :shock: :shock: ;-) :lol:

@afanghel: I hope you won´t have your husband reading here ... otherwise you can play LC at the divorce and stay in the hopeless long qeue anyway ;-) ;-)

and Dr. H: Isn´t all this totally normal behaviour :?:

I loved it so much and I´m proud of being afflicted ... :razz: :D

hoho. no he doesnt read here. having introduced me to leonards music in a dive in mexico about 5 years ago, i have long since surpassed him in my affliction, and now he just likes to peer over my shoulder at the forum, looking bemused at the obsession he has unleashed in me...

at the divorce I shall be 'the heart with no companion' (hoho) and will continue in my ambition to narrate my life through the medium of LC songs...
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

@afanghel:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You´ll be a heart with many companions ... ;-) 8)
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Rain wrote:HolyDove, I'm about to take it up a notch by going to Montreal in 2 weeks FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of going to the LC artwork exhibit. NO OTHER REASON. Yep, all the way from Kentucky....DRIVING no less! (Yes, we have heard of Leonard Cohen in Kentucky, believe it or not.) You should've seen me breaking THIS bit of news to my hubby....."Darling, how 'bout we take a trip? We haven't been anywhere for so long..." He just looked at me (he knows all about this disorder I have) and asked "Is Leonard Cohen gonna be where were going?" and I said "Sort of." And he still wants to go, so he gets the medal for being the best husband ever...... :D
RAIN: Do you mean the weekend of 4/24 - 4/26? Because we are also going to Montreal for the exhibit that weekend!! My husband told me about your post with this info, (after I had read your post that we did the same thing with the garbage & flowers) & I said, "wait a minute, are we two people here, or are we the same person?! I hope you do mean that weekend, because wouldn't that be great if we could meet up? In fact, I was planning to make a post to find out if any other forum members are going that weekend. Please let me know if that is the weekend you are talking about, & if you would like to meet up there (feel free to send me a PM or email). And if any other members are going that weekend, please let us know as well (maybe we should make a post about this elsewhere also?)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Synchronosity.....isn't it wonderful! We all seem to be on the same wave length... :D Have a great time! Already wish I were there!
DrHGuy

More Signs That You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan

Post by DrHGuy »

I just posted More Signs That You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan: http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/04/11/more- ... cohen-fan/

All of the behaviors on today's post derive from comments in this thread (thank you for writing my post for me), other LeonardCohenForum posts, and my personal observations (some editing and changes in details have been made). I did not credit anyone for his or her contributions but would be happy to do so that is OK with the author; just let me know or leave a comment on the post. On the other hand, if anyone has second thoughts about these attestations, please let me know, and I'll remove that item.

Two examples follow:
  • You find yourself carrying on entire conversations using only lyrics from Leonard Cohen songs.
  • You’ve painstakingly cultivated and maintained a relationship with someone living in Canada solely so he will tape those CBC specials about Leonard Cohen that are only broadcast in that country.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

These additions certainly seem to be related to recent concerts; however, I must add in concurrence with this one, that I did this very thing in 1976, the cheapest mode of transportation being a train from Flint, Michigan to Chicago, and riding the subways and el trains all night, between the two nights I saw Leonard perform at The Quiet Knight [and how appropos was the name of the venue!]:
When you realize that the cost of Cohen concert tickets plus the cost of transportation plus the cost of a hotel … exceeds your savings, you take the only reasonable course of action: you travel as cheaply as possible, you buy the best seats available, and after the show you spend the night riding mass transit around the city.
I LOVE your additions, Allan... and thanks to all those out there that shared with him slices of your own realities. The wedding one is Hilarious!

~ Lizzy

The photo of the two of you that accompanies this piece is sublime!

Edited to change 1978 to 1976 [as I recall ~ those years can be so hard to sort ;-) ]
Last edited by lizzytysh on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
holydove

Post by holydove »

Thank you, our dear DRH, for EVEN MORE brilliant hilarity!!

I love the one about bringing up your backstage "hangouts" with the man 4 minutes into every conversation - fantastic! - esp. because, although I don't have your great good fortune of such intimate interaction (but I'm very glad you do!) - I certainly find it extremely difficult, if not usually impossible, to have a conversation with anyone, without bringing up The Man - even when I promised myself that this time I wouldn't - even when I know the person I am talking to will not relate (or already thinks I'm very emotionally disturbed because they know of my obsession) - AND I bring Him up even when it has absolutely nothing to do with what was being discussed! It just seems to be an uncontrollable urge to talk about Him. . .

And by the way, (re: your previous list of symptoms) - if you ask me, having a Cohen-centric blog DOES make you VERY attractive - (don't worry, I'm not "coming on" - just crazy for love). And thank you for indicating that Leonard is the one with the hat, because, now that I've taken a closer look, you do kind of look alike, don't you??. . .
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Allan-

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you always provide such hearty laughter!

But,OMG! I'm so relieved that this time around not all of the symptoms apply. Although I always carry a photo with me, just in case I need to flash it. Okay, I carry more than one. You never know when someone will want a copy ;-)

Got married around the same time LC was starting so that doesn't apply, but, we made our children play LC songs at their weddings, which prompted inquiries as to who was singing that fantastic song. Of course, I whipped out my picture and showed them.

Thank you Allan!
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Dear DrHGuy
Would the poem I posted in the poetry place in April 2006 entitled Songtitles - Eighty Reasons to be a L C fan allow me to tell people I have CPD or am I just failed poet with too much time on his hands
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Yorkshire Lad wrote:Dear DrHGuy
Would the poem I posted in the poetry place in April 2006 entitled Songtitles - Eighty Reasons to be a L C fan allow me to tell people I have CPD or am I just failed poet with too much time on his hands
Hmmm! Perhaps your being a "failed poet with too much time on his hands" (your words, not mine!) can be counted as a severe symptom of CPD in itself?!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

You just invited all your friends to join the "Leonard Cohen for Governor General" page on Facebook.

Your four-year old daughter wants to have a Leonard Cohen birthday party and describes LC as sounding like "an old turtle. But beautiful, kind of like a prince."

My now five-year old daughter recently asked me when we are going to Moscow to see Leonard. I told her that the concert was postponed until October, but that the tickets are kind of expensive and we probably won't go. She grabbed my hand and said "Mummy! We can use ALL the money in my piggy bank! Just the girls in Moscow to see Leonard! It will be so fun!"

The latest generation of LC fans appears to be just as ardent as the rest of us!
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.

Return to “Comments & Questions”