You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

I've posted a (non-exhaustive) list of early warning signs that one may be a full-fledged Leonard Cohen fan at http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/04/06/warni ... -syndrome/

While these clues are, no doubt, superfluous for readers here since Forum participation itself warrants a presumptive diagnosis of Cohenphilic Personality Disorder, I mention this list in deference to the fact that the majority of the signs were directly inspired by (i.e., ripped off) Forum posts I've come across (details have been changed to protect the afflicted).

Three examples of such Forum-derived warning signs of Cohen Fan Syndrome follow:

• You have constructed a six page spreadsheet of Cohen’s preferences in furnishings, condiments, household accessories, and foodstuffs from data garnered from studying photos and videos of Cohen being interviewed in his home.
  • You think Phil Spector should have already been in jail for ruining Leonard Cohen’s “Death Of A Ladies’ Man” album.
  • You’ve taken to bestowing blessings on friends instead of saying goodbye.
blessing-screenshot.jpg
Pope

Re: You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …

Post by Pope »

For years, too many to remember, I've said 'Goodnight friends' when I've left a person's house.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

DrHGuy wrote: You have constructed a six page spreadsheet of Cohen’s preferences in furnishings, condiments, household accessories, and foodstuffs from data garnered from studying photos and videos of Cohen being interviewed in his home.
DrHGuy....er, how did you know I did this?
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

means that i' m not a fan at all ?!? :roll:

thank g*d it' s not that simple! :D
holydove

Post by holydove »

Once again, thanks for the laugh, DrH!! You are beautiful!

I am actively restraining myself from counting how many of those symptoms I have exhibited. . . no, I am not doing that. . .
Rain

Post by Rain »

Well, except for one or two of those symptoms, I am terminal with this disorder. But KNOWING what the disorder is takes a lot of the stress away, so as long as I receive my daily treatments, I live and THRIVE with this condition.

I also have a strange symptom of wanting to replace all the candles in my house with thin green ones........and I notice that Mr. Cohen eats a lot of yogurt, on tour anyway.....is that why I'm craving it lately? ;-)

Rain
holydove

Post by holydove »

LOL, Rain - thanks for the laugh! Last week I was throwing away some dead flowers, & I put them in a bag filled with other sorts of garbage - so (obviously) I now had a big beautiful bag of garbage and flowers - I was very reluctant to put it in the dumpster - I thought I should keep it so I could open it daily, and look at it - & maybe Our Lady of the Harbour would manifest & direct my "looking" - I don't know if that's a symptom - what might the good DrH think??
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Very funny stuff, as always, Dr. H!

I think I may be a fan. I was planning to commemorate the first anniversary of my seeing Leonard in concert for the first time (Arpil 25!), and just the other day I wrote "LC Concert Anniversary" on that date on my calendar. That's normal, right?
mutti

Post by mutti »

Dr. H this is hilarious and oh so true on many things...I smiled, I laughed I almost rolled on the floor with laughter...
Oh my what has become of us...
I thank you from the bottom of my heart and am so grateful I am not alone in my obsession, passion and love...
Mutti ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
B4real

Post by B4real »

Good evening good Dr H,

Yes I must confess there are some things you mention I can relate to but just recently I have been guilty of this:

>•In response to a friend who asks you for wide variety of music, you burn her a CD with tracks from every one of Leonard Cohen’s albums.

•In response to that friend’s explanation that by “wide variety of music” she meant a collection of songs representing many different moods, styles, and eras performed by different singers, you replace three of the original tracks on the mix CD with one selection each from Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat, Sharon Robinson’s Everybody Knows, and Anjani’s Blue Alert albums.<

Have you been reading my mail :shock: :lol:
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Paula

Post by Paula »

True on so many levels DrH. :lol:
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Rain

Post by Rain »

holydove wrote:LOL, Rain - thanks for the laugh! Last week I was throwing away some dead flowers, & I put them in a bag filled with other sorts of garbage - so (obviously) I now had a big beautiful bag of garbage and flowers - I was very reluctant to put it in the dumpster - I thought I should keep it so I could open it daily, and look at it - & maybe Our Lady of the Harbour would manifest & direct my "looking" - I don't know if that's a symptom - what might the good DrH think??
:shock: Lord have mercy! I did the EXACT SAME THING about a month ago! I threw some roses in the garbage, then felt terribly guilty and PICKED THEM BACK OUT! Or should I have looked for something else AMONG the flowers and garbage? Anyway, I hung them up and dried them and felt better. My husband looked at me really funny (he had given them to me) so I tried to cover up my crazy behavior by saying "Oh honey, I just couldn't throw them out."

Dr. H, Would this fall under LC Disorder Pro-Active Cognitive Therapy? :lol:

dick

Post by dick »

Not sure how we made it for the brief hiatus you took Doctor. Thanks as always for wonderful tickling of our funny bones. :lol:
afanghanel

Post by afanghanel »

You felt closest to and proudest of your 9 year old son when you overheard him singing to himself, “… giving me head on the unmade bed.”

outstanding.

If i ever had a child, and it said this to me I would consider myself to have utterly succeeded as a parent. what joys this list brought me on anotherwise bleak and sad day. cheers! i have never been so pleased to be afflicted.
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...
afanghanel

Post by afanghanel »

also that first one.. i am now famous in my circle for drawing on LCs extensive repetoire to mark the first dance/last rites of any social occasion. in fact my only regret at my wedding is that despite having LC poems read in the ceremony, music played in the dancing, played in the ceremony was that my first dance was not to his music. and that my husband was not him. but i can join the queue there i suppose...
2008: Manchester, London 02, London RAH x 2, 2009: Weybridge, Belgrade, San Jose, 2010: ...

Return to “Comments & Questions”