Request For Help: Songs By Others Praised By Leonard Cohen

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
MaryB

Re: Request For Help: Songs By Others Praised By Leonard Cohen

Post by MaryB »

sturgess66 wrote: "Born to Lose" - Leonard Cohen & Elton John (and wonderful sax by Plas Johnson)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpxX8YP5HhI
Linda S.
Linda,

How strange. I was just thinking about this song and the fact that I haven't listened to it in a while. Thank you for posting this link.

The first time I heard it, I remember how I thought that LC's voice had reached its nadir. Was it ever any deeper? Was this just before he had stopped smoking? Did it see so deep only because it was juxtaposed with Elton's voice? Will he be able to continue singing? Yet, in my thirst for anything LC at the time, I loved it and still do. How different from the voice of today - totally wonderful and brought back to splendiforous glory!

Warmest regards,
Mary

(PS My apologies for being off topic :oops: )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

I again want to thank you folks for your help on this project.
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

heard a rumour from the user telltale on the expectingrain forum, namely, and i quote: 'Brownsville Girl would redeem a priest! It's a masterpiece - and it's only behind George Jones and Joni Mitchell in Leonard Cohen's favourite songs as reported in 1988.'
http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... eb9d3fe70e
he or she is referring to bob dylan's song brownsville girl, one of the best songs around. very hard to believe cohen wouldn't like it, but investigations should be made concerning where cohen reported it as one of his his favourite songs in 1988.
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

AvidCohenFan wrote:heard a rumour from the user telltale on the expectingrain forum, namely, and i quote: 'Brownsville Girl would redeem a priest! It's a masterpiece - and it's only behind George Jones and Joni Mitchell in Leonard Cohen's favourite songs as reported in 1988.'
http://expectingrain.com/discussions/vi ... eb9d3fe70e
he or she is referring to bob dylan's song brownsville girl, one of the best songs around. very hard to believe cohen wouldn't like it, but investigations should be made concerning where cohen reported it as one of his his favourite songs in 1988.

You & telltale are correct. Courtesy of Florian, this is Leonard Cohen's top ten 1988 (from "Leonard Cohen – in eigenen Worten" (in his own words) by Jim Devlin) :
1 Window up above- Georg Jones
2 A case of you- Joni Mitchell
3 Brownsville Girl- Bob Dylan
4 Etüde Op.10 No. 1 in C-Dur- Chopin
5 Losing Hand- Ray Charles
6 House without love- Roy Orbison
7 La chambre d l’hôtel- Edith Piaf
8 Waltzing matilda- Tom Waits
9 Famous Blue Raincote- Jennifer Warnes
10 I fall to pieces- Patsy Cline
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Excuse me Allan, but what are you doing here? You are supposed to be on a retreat. Can't stay away...can you! ;-)
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

ladydi wrote:Excuse me Allan, but what are you doing here? You are supposed to be on a retreat. Can't stay away...can you! ;-)
I have just returned home after 10 days in Kentucky and North Carolina. Some folks spend 5 years at a Zen monastery; others of us have to make do with the economy-level, fast track approach.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Welcome back Allan! We missed you...
;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

mutti wrote:Welcome back Allan! We missed you...
;-)
Thanks. Be it ever so humble, there's no place like Forum
imyourwoman

Post by imyourwoman »

Marvin Gaye's 'It hurt me too' ?

Not exactly praised, but cited in "Beautiful Losers".
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Welcome back Allan! These favorites of LC would make for a great CD or download ;-) (or have you already done this Allan and I missed it :oops: )
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
B4real

Post by B4real »

>>8 Waltzing matilda- Tom Waits<< :shock:

I can't believe the above.
Did you know that "Waltzing Matilda" is Australia's non-official national anthem? It is sung on many official and non official occasions. It is a sacred song here.
How wonderful that it is included in Leonard's top ten. :D
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

B4real wrote:>>8 Waltzing matilda- Tom Waits<< :shock:

I can't believe the above.
Did you know that "Waltzing Matilda" is Australia's non-official national anthem? It is sung on many official and non official occasions. It is a sacred song here.
How wonderful that it is included in Leonard's top ten. :D
The Tom Waits version of that song was featured on the Feb 24, 2010 Heck Of A Guy post, "Waltzing Matilda" By Tom Waits Is On Leonard Cohen's Jukebox: http://1heckofaguy.com/2010/02/24/waltz ... s-jukebox/
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Allan,

Thank you, I've just watched your Tom Waits version of Waltzing Matilda and I have to say that the words are different except for part of the chorous. You will understand my initial disbelief when you watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpY8-TcRQ3A&feature=fvw

Same tune but oh so different :)
I had forgotten that there were other versions.

still on an Australian flavour - I don't know if you saw this on another thread but did you know that the Australian red kangaroo is called a Macropus Rufus ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Patyou

Post by Patyou »

7 La chambre d l'hôtel- Edith Piaf
I never heard this song form Piaf "La Chambre d'Hotel".

Do you mean "Les Amants d'un jour ?".

Patyou
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Return to “Comments & Questions”