What to do with the Politics?

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

What to do with the Politics?

Post by jarkko »

I think it's time to discuss the future of our "Politics" section. There are only a couple of members who are posting there, most of them about Israel, or US politics.
The number of views these messages generate is very limited, although the threads get excessive visibility in the "View new posts" option which is used by most of our members.
I don't want to close the section totally, but we could introduce some other methods. What about merging all new Israel-threads to just one, and all messages about US politics also to one.
Comments and suggestions are welcome!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
GinaDCG

Re: What to do with the Politics?

Post by GinaDCG »

Thanks for noticing the disparate attention these threads receive. For my part (and I humbly acknowledge I have not been a member for very long) I bow to whatever you think best.
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

How about simply ring-fencing the Politics section by taking posts to it out of the list of new posts (assuming it's technically possible to do it)? Those that are interested can go straight to the Politics section to see what is going on there; those that want to stay well out of it need not be troubled by any of it.

Wendy
Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Simple and short : Remove it.
This is a Leonard Cohen forum, no place for politics.

Antoine
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Antoine wrote:Simple and short : Remove it.
This is a Leonard Cohen forum, no place for politics.

Antoine
I was going to post something similar Antoine. However, then I remembered what happened before we had the Politics section. People simply posted their opinions on political subjects in the Leonard related threads. Personally I would rather have a separate section that the rest of us can ignore.

Wendy
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

I would prefer to see the Politics section go away, and the "no politics" rule upheld.
There are so many forums and sites where people can talk about politics, why do it here?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Mabeanie1 wrote:I remembered what happened before we had the Politics section. People simply posted their opinions on political subjects in the Leonard related threads. Personally I would rather have a separate section that the rest of us can ignore.
Wendy
So true. To this day the moderators are still moving comments to the politics section. At least we have a section for them to be moved to - still visible to those that want to see them and no uproar by posters if their comments had to be deleted for not having relevance to the topic, which would be the case if the Politics section was eliminated.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Tony

Post by Tony »

Personally I would abolish the section but it does seem to be of some benefit to a small number of members. A difficulty is when the subject is introduced in the guise of a Trojan horse into other areas of the forum. I would suggest a hard line by the moderators should be taken when this happens. Such posts could be swifly despatched into the relevant section where those very few people who look at them, and the fewer still who regularly post, could exchange their opinions with like minded souls (assuming souls and politics are not mutually exclusive).
mutti

Post by mutti »

Jarkko I agree with Wendy and Mary. I like your original idea as then those of us who do not want to read them can just ignore it...or take a peek if it is something of interest. I personally love this forum for its diversity but do not read the political threads.
Thanks
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

To be honest, I did wonder how a politics thread ever came in to being on a Leonard Cohen Forum ?

Jarkko must have felt it necessary, so........
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
jglBB

Post by jglBB »

As I have already written earlier, Politics = Garbage.
It should not be allowed here.
Do whatever you want with it. I just don't want to see it. Never.
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

Mabeanie1 wrote:How about simply ring-fencing the Politics section by taking posts to it out of the list of new posts (assuming it's technically possible to do it)? Those that are interested can go straight to the Politics section to see what is going on there; those that want to stay well out of it need not be troubled by any of it.

Wendy
Ditto. If possible, I vote for this approach. One problem is with the semi (or NOT semi) professional Trolls -- they submit political topics and get paid for the # of views. I do not wish to accuse any Forum member of being trolls, but it would be naive for any of us to believe that this forum is exempt from this common, professional troll problem. So, ring-fencing as mentioned above would preserve members right to talk about political subjects of interest but would insulate the Forum as a whole from being exploited by the trolls.

I have noted that a few topics are visited by only 2 members in what seems more like a public exchange of private messages.
Alsiony

Post by Alsiony »

GinaDCG wrote:
Mabeanie1 wrote:How about simply ring-fencing the Politics section by taking posts to it out of the list of new posts (assuming it's technically possible to do it)? Those that are interested can go straight to the Politics section to see what is going on there; those that want to stay well out of it need not be troubled by any of it.

Wendy
Ditto. If possible, I vote for this approach. One problem is with the semi (or NOT semi) professional Trolls -- they submit political topics and get paid for the # of views. I do not wish to accuse any Forum member of being trolls, but it would be naive for any of us to believe that this forum is exempt from this common, professional troll problem. So, ring-fencing as mentioned above would preserve members right to talk about political subjects of interest but would insulate the Forum as a whole from being exploited by the trolls.

I have noted that a few topics are visited by only 2 members in what seems more like a public exchange of private messages.
I thoroughly agree with what Mabeanie1 and Gina have said. I think that if the politics section were completely removed then even more non- political threads would be 'hijacked' so to speak, which already happens enough does it not?.
A politics section is needed it seems, but a little more seperation from 'new posts' may well be in order.

A
x
Weybridge MBW 11th July 2009

'All I know - and you must listen very carefully to this... All I know - is that I know absolutely nothing' - Frank

'Who ever loved that loved not at first sight?' - Christopher Marlowe

Much misunderstood... was the 'Hippie' with a reality fixation...
Vicomtesse

Post by Vicomtesse »

I agree with your suggestion Jarkko,
I also like the diversity of this site and it would be a shame to censor any of it. I know a lot have commented about not wanting politics on this site but isn't that what's happening here; we are all discussing politics in a 'Democratic' way; all giving our opinions! No matter what we do in our lives; politics is involved!

Leonard is quite 'political' in some of his songs. 'Everybody Knows' is quite hard hitting with lines like; The poor stay poor, The rich get rich': and Tower of song; 'The rich have their channels in the bedrooms of the poor' etc. and 'The Future' and 'Democracy', are full of 'Political' issues being questioned in these songs.
He is not outrightly protesting like Bob Dylan in his youth but in a way that makes one think.

So yes, keep the 'Politics' for those who want it but keep it separate in some way.
Vicomtesse
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

I'm always somewhat bemused when people ask what could politics possibly have to do with the fellow who wrote "The Future" "The Captain" and "Democracy" and who recorded "The Partisan" Just to name a few. Notwithstanding his own family heritage, his background, travels, various positions vis-a-vis Cuba, Greece... But hey, that's nothing. Just dare to mention any of the Biblical imagery or---gasp!---numerous borrowings from, or references to, christianity or catholicism in Leonard's song lyrics and the flame wars will rage for weeks.(And oh yeah, there was that novel, too, which mentioned the Blessed Kateri, what was that all about? ) :shock:

Yeah, I say the politics should remain in a specific section where the disinterested can ignore the subject, but to suggest excluding the subject altogether is just idiotic. That's tantamount to hurling the c-word (censorship!) at Leonard's entire body of work, essentially proscribing any real or deep discussion at all about Leonard. Because, as we lefties-who-eventually-grew-up learned a long time ago, the personal (creativity, lifestyle, and underlying belief systems which are the motivating impetus driving everything we do) is political. And "the personal" (as in sexual) is very much an underlying theme, as well as unifying thread, in Leonard's lyrics, his life and work, and moreover, of us, all of us here, and it's why this farking Forum exists (Thank you Jarkko, for keeping us from bludgeoning each other! But, ahhhh, I do so miss the Newsgroup from time to time, where there were no rules, and the only c-word that was a dirty word was "censorship." Even though I got my ass kicked on a fairly regular basis.)
One of my all time favorite moments on the newsgroup was when a guy wondered, quite seriously, what connection Leonard had to Minnesota (a state in the U.S.) because the lyric in "The Future" referred to "St. Paul" (the name of a city in Minnesota.) :lol:
Maybe there should be other separate sections for sex and religion. And sexual politics. And religious politics...
8)

Return to “News”