I love the NPR recording from the Beacon

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
brightnow

I love the NPR recording from the Beacon

Post by brightnow »

On this first anniversary of the concert at the Beacon I would like to say: I love the NPR recording of that night. It is probably my favorite LC recording of all times, here's why:
Unlike all other studio and official live recordings that I have, it is raw. It seems that the NPR crew received a feed of the sound system during the concert, recorded it and published it without any editing. You can hear some feedback at the beginning of the first song. You can hear the musician cues between songs. You can hear the audience evenly throughout the performance. The sound is very slightly off-balance at times. All of this makes it beautifully imperfect and resoundingly authentic. This recording takes me to the concert hall and places me in the front row like no other carefully-balanced edition can.
At the same time, this recording is not a bootleg. It is legal, it is crisp and other than the mp3 compression (this was, after all, a podcast) the sound quality is fantastic. Unlike bootlegs you can hear all of the instruments and vocalists, they are reasonably balanced and not obscured by the clapping or chatter of a concert-goer who just happens to sit right next to the mic.
I love this recording and I will cherish it forever. Thank you Leonard for allowing this podcast. Thank you NPR and Bob Boilen for publishing it.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
ladydi

Re: I love the NPR recording from the Beacon

Post by ladydi »

Yes! Isn't it wonderful Avi. I long ago saved the podcast to my iTunes and go back every now and then to re-listen. With this being the anniversary of the beginning of a magical LC year, I will definitely give it another listen tonight. And I agree that the "rawness" of it is what attracted me in the beginning....I felt I was reliving every moment again! I'm not sure if this is still in the NPR archives but hopefully fans made sure to download it when it was.

I mirror your thanks to NPR and Bob Boilen!
leonardmtl

Post by leonardmtl »

Hi Avi,

Where can we get a link?

I was at the Beacon concert and it was truly fantastic, with 5th row seats courtesy of Jarkko and the pre sale.....and now, maybe, we can all re-live it ! As an aside, the meet up afterwards at O'Hurleys was very special, chatting with many of the Cohenites in attendance.

Leonard from Montreal
We're all on one road....we're only passing through....

1967 Montreal / 2008 Toronto/ 2009 New York Beacon /Boston 2x /New York MSG / Chelsea Hotel Plaque Celebration /San Jose / 2010 Las Vegas 2x / 2012 Montreal 2x /Boston 2x
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Leonard, the recording is no longer available for download from NPR, but I'm sure you'll be able to get a copy (check your email).

Avi
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

Does your email generosity extend - - maybe -- - to me?

(If not, I understand.)
holydove

Post by holydove »

Brighnow, I hate to trouble you, but maybe your generosity can extend to me too??

I was at that concert, after hoping & praying for years that I would someday see Leonard again - and the moment he ran onto the stage was probably the most ecstatic moment of my life. I cried at the end because I thought I might never see him again, as I only found out about the continuing tour a couple of days later (and will be eternally grateful to our dear Mr. Cohen, and all the forces that be, for that!)

I didn't know about the NPR recording; I would truly love to hear it, but, of course, if you can't do it, I too totally understand. . .
Last edited by holydove on Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi holydove,

Well, as I seem to have accomplished my FIRST cd burn yesterday with DrHGuy's "album", I think (hope, maybe, perhaps) I might be able to accomplish a SECOND cd burn! Want to do it for myself, so if it works I'll let you know tomorrow and will get in touch with you via pm. If it doesn't work I'd be too embarassed to publish anything on the forum but will let you know ;-) :roll: ;-) privately!

You were at the Beacon too! Wow. So many people I wish I could have met!

Diana
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi Ladydi,

I also did my very first CD burning with DrH's albums, so I totally relate to what you are saying! (I'm so amazed that it actually worked - it took forever to get the albums into my iTunes, but the actually CD burn was surprisingly easy). I also regret that I missed the meetup the night of the Beacon concert, and the chance to meet some wonderful Cohenite friends! I've been attending as many meetups as I can since then, & I do hope to meet you, and others that I've communicated with, someday.

Thank you so much for your willingness to share - you are very kind! I am sending you a PM with some other info. . .
neo

Post by neo »

As I missed the NPR broadcast too, I'd love to listen to it. Thanks for your extended generosity!
rpan

Post by rpan »

I seem to be able to listen to it live still on npr by following the link on Jambase - listening to it right now - this is 12 songs, not sure if that was the original podcast also that was a full concert. Cannot see any way to save it though.

I followed the link on http://www.jambase.com/Articles/16868/L ... eacon-Show
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
Grecian man

Post by Grecian man »

Can't believe it's a year ago already , I was in 5th row great night , hi ladydi met u b4 concert ,
Pre concert meet up with band members was unforgetable moment , maybe it'll happen again..............
Most of the people who want to live forever don't know what to do
with themselves on a wet sunday afternoon ...........
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Grecian Man...

Oh yes, what a night that was! In case you haven't realized through my posts in the past year, I am totally blown away by ALL of the Irish contingent! Marie (and Albert, Trish, BV, and Mick) have become dear friends, and IF our Leonard decides to have a concert at ANY location in Ireland, I will be there with bells on and a BIG smile!!! There is no way I will ever miss another Irish concert! lol...in fact, I may even come if there is NO concert! I've come to love the Irish! Amazing what happens in one little year! :D

However, the 19th of February, 2009, was a very very special night!

See you in the next few months!

Diana
rpan

Post by rpan »

The wonderful DRHGuy has provided a link to get these gorgeous recordings, still working as of today, all separate tracks at http://bigozine2.com/roio/?p=152

http://1heckofaguy.com/
"We were broken then, but now we're borderline"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
2009: Dublin - Lisbon - Barcelona - San Jose
2010: Sligo - Florence - Marseille - Lille - Las Vegas
2012: Wembley - Kilmainham - Paris - Montreal
2013: London O2 - Lucca - Dublin
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Fabulous! Thank you SO much DRHGuy! :D
"We are so lightly here"