What is going on ?

July 25 - December 11, 2010. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
mrschis

Re: What is going on ?

Post by mrschis »

I was so chuffed to get second row seats at Caen for myself, sister, daughter and granddaughter. It would be my granddaughter's first time seeing LC live. She adores him and the Webb sisters. Fingers (and everything else) crossed!! :?
Birmingham and Wetbridge 2009 Caen 2010
sallyp

Post by sallyp »

jdhayes wrote:I think that LC will be coming back to Ireland and GB and that we should hold off booking expensive flights abroad as we will get to see him in Dublin and London.
Now that would be good. As long as LC is well - that's the most important thing.

Personally, although I know that Jarrko does a brilliant job, I am a bit fed up with the Important Announcement coming soon thing, then repeated postponments of when that announcement will be made! Yes, I know it's not his fault, but why announce an Announcement (!) till the date is certain? :?
SallyP

Weybridge 2010
Matthias1234

Post by Matthias1234 »

Maybe someone else had the same thought, but to turn our thinking in a more positive way - Jarkko wrote "Members might consider holding off on booking flights and hotels that cannot be changed until the announcement!" - that could also mean, you should not book any other flight etc. - not connected with a concert, just holidays or something - so that you're can make your arrangements after the "news" are in. But, maybe I will see a clear portrait of the virgin mary too, if i read here long enough. Cheers, M.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

As I said a hundred pages back, why can the announcement not just be made once it's confirmed. Why announce an announcement for a specific date if this announcement doesn't happen then...argh. This is getting quite annoying. Who's responsible for this? This doesn't make the management, AEG or whoever look very professional.

With regards to the flight bookings, I would think most people would have booked their flight and put in their annual leave at work when they bought their tickets, i.e. in Nov/Dec.
Jeremy

What is going on ?

Post by Jeremy »

Oh how this terrible agony of waiting seems to reduce, and the ironies become more delicious, as we continue to drink.[/quote]

Thanks for making me laugh with fine humor - it's so rare these days.

Being french and reading the french forum, the prognostic are more pessimist (nobody really thinks it will be good news), but also less pessimist (nobody thinks it has something to do with LC's health).

And in fact, more than cynical or ironic, I feel a little pissed by the "drama climate" that floats around this thread : it sometimes looks like a "People Press" (I don't know how you name these stupid magazines talking only about everyday's life of paris hilton). A lot of users here seems to wait, to be delighted about some disaster that would happen... Perverse and sad, in my opinion.

LC's talks about "finished line" as he always do, as I did when I was 15 (and now as well - which is not long later :-) ). Finished line is a reality, what's the problem with that. Being afraid every second after someone turns 70 contributes to give the impression that life ends at 70 ; in fact, life ends when it ends. You'll rarely know when by the way, so maybe you should accept it and go wondering about more useful things.

( Do not misunderstand me - I'm not attacking anyone, in fact I'm very modest in my propositions, though the language barrier will ineluctably make me sound more stupid and bitter than I am. ^.^ )
Un vieil homme dans un grenier
pour la nuit nous a cache',
les Allemands l'ont pris;
il est mort sans surprise
Of course this is about the 39-45 war (WW2). For people who do not know it (there's not going to be a lot here I suppose), WW2 has a different meaning for french people than WW1. Like drinking coca-cola and writing a poem is different, mostly (please note that I practice each one). This is maybe why it's disturbing to see them related. WW2 is more recent, and a traumatism for basically every familly here (even those - like mine - which were not persecuted). It is something that Japanese people have difficulties to understand for example - for a lot of cultural and historical reasons.

Every word of "The Partisan" reminds me of Hitler and Vichy - not really 14-18 topics. :p

If you understand a little french - or if you like french song -, there's an old and beautiful song on the same topic than "the Partisan". It's "L'Affiche Rouge", a poem from the french poet Louis Aragon (1955) and sang by the french singer & poet Léo Ferré (1959). Talks about the manouchian group, a group of strangers and partisans who helped liberate paris and were killed a few monthes before the end of the war.
The song : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HLB_EVtJK4
You can find a translation here : http://arewelostintranslation.blogspot. ... oster.html

( Sorry for my bad english by the way. ^.^ )[/quote]

Hello Ange - the term you're looking for is "Women's Magazines," I'm afraid...

I'm not a big fan of this kind of publication either, but I do think you may be in some danger of offending some of the regulars on here by comparing their expressions of interest and concern with that kind of thing, and I doubt if anyone posting here is a car-crash fan (or rubber-necker"). There is a very heart-open approach to many of the people posting on this site, and while that may not be to everyone's taste it is, I'm sure, preferable to the abusive and ignorant musings that appear on so many message boards.

Thanks for your thoughts on the wars and their different meanings to the French by the way, and because I'm so very fond of the Partisan myself, I'll certainly look up L'Affiche Rouge!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

Ange Musicien,

This may interest you, if you were unaware before.

http://www.leonardcohensite.com/partisanfr.htm

Or in English

http://www.leonardcohensite.com/partisaneng.htm
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

As I said a hundred pages back, why can the announcement not just be made once it's confirmed. Why announce an announcement for a specific date if this announcement doesn't happen then...argh.
I have only copied exactly what I was told. Now I've given up and don't specify any exact date, just that the announcement is coming "soon". It comes when it comes, after all issues have been solved! The advance note was, in my opinion, very important - now members know that they should not book more irrevocable flights (and hotels) until we get the press release from London.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

jarkko wrote:
As I said a hundred pages back, why can the announcement not just be made once it's confirmed. Why announce an announcement for a specific date if this announcement doesn't happen then...argh.
I have only copied exactly what I was told. Now I've given up and don't specify any exact date, just that the announcement is coming "soon". It comes when it comes, after all issues have been solved! The advance note was, in my opinion, very important - now members know that they should not book more irrevocable flights (and hotels) until we get the press release from London.
Can you reveal, without going against what you were told, if the previously announced french dates might be affected by something? Surely there is no harm in that...
ronnievv

Post by ronnievv »

Well, Jarkko, I suppose that vast majority of forum members understands that your hands are tied, and is grateful for keeping us informed as much as you can. And as for those who aren't... well, that's their problem, not yours, isn't it? Thanks for everything, anyway. :razz:
Veronika: Prague 2008/Berlin 2009/Bratislava 2009/Prague 2009/Prague 2013...
drsing

Post by drsing »

ronnievv wrote:Well, Jarkko, I suppose that vast majority of forum members understands that your hands are tied, and is grateful for keeping us informed as much as you can. And as for those who aren't... well, that's their problem, not yours, isn't it? Thanks for everything, anyway. :razz:
I fully agree. Thanks to Jarkko we are the first to know anything! Waiting is difficult, but Jarkko is doing a good job :!:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

jarkko wrote:
I wasn't having a go at you! I just think that the organisers should tell you things once they have it confirmed and not say to you that you can promise an announcement and then they don't give you the information.
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

Osmachar
Totally agree!
yoeri

Post by yoeri »

and in the meantime, let's sing another song, boys (and girls):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzPA-FrVu3I

so loud AEG has to respond! :)
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

I really don't think, that critisizing anybody helps ... anybody.

I am fully convinced, that everbody does what they are able to do, to solve this situation as quickly as possible. And of course our main concern is still Leonard´s health.

I am very grateful for the information we get. At least it was possible to warn those, who elsewise would have booked non refundable flights and accomodations.

As we all do not know, what´s behind all this, the least we can do, is NOT shooting at the messenger! ;-)

Thank you for being patient with us and for sharing the information you are able to give, Jarkko!

We also will try to be patient (...hmmm, how long do we have to??? ;-) ;-) )

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

We all have a great deal of gratitude to Jarkko - not least for setting up the files and forum in the first place. :D
Thankyou !
As for AEG we should reserve judgement :?: , but if some of the concerts that are still listed on their site end up being postponed or cancelled , they deserve our ire for being grossly misleading.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “The World Tour 2010”