LC isle of Wight docu on TV in belgium

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
pe swijngedouw

LC isle of Wight docu on TV in belgium

Post by pe swijngedouw »

next thursday, after "midnight mass" from church st. theresa in dublin,
on belgian Canvas TV, at 1.15 after midinght :

leonard cohen at wight festival, 1970, documentary.

we're lucky, these days : after jeff buckley, tomorrow evening, 23.40 pm, we get the real man one week later.

pe
... precisely ...
Nicolas

Re: LC isle of Wight docu on TV in belgium

Post by Nicolas »

Hi pe,

Thanks for this info!
Do you have any means to record it? I would be so grateful as I am not in Belgium for another 3 months and wouldn't want to miss this!
Thanks and all the best

Nicolas
I told you when I came I was a stranger...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

By the way,

Are you the one who completed the verse of Leonard: "There is a crack in everything... That's how the light gets in" in Bruges in 2008? I remember that he replied "...Precisely..." consequently :)
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

nicolas

1 i'll surely try to record it ; if it works, i'll send you a copy ; i think i have your address from a set of recordings that circulated a while ago : i think you were the last one on the continent, before sending the discs back to england (mabeanie). anyway, you'll get this record, if not by mail, i can give them in lille - i think i could remember you from the antwerp concert, where we met briefly. so, see you in lille, perhaps ; there seems to be some kind of meet-up in the making, elsewhere on this forum.

2 i was in bruges too, but it was not me, who completed the line : i was too much impressed by the atmosphere, created by the man and the surrounding park, to be able to shout anything at all ; i would not have dared to disturb the adoring silence of those moments ; and somehow, the rather oldfashioned-sounding "precisely"-reaction felt to me like a very kind and polite way to more or less say : shut up, don't interrupt me ; which pleased me more than i could have thought.
all of this gave me a feeling of a special moment, where some kind of unforeseen public reply led to a reaction that was nowhere in the script, and that was never repeated in any other concert afterwards ; so it was something unique - for some 10.000 unique listeners.
so, something i did not really like - shouting loudly in moments of deep silence - created something very special, and i wish to thank whoever it was that was responsible for that.

see you and perhaps a few more of you cohen travellers in lille

a fine end of year to all

pe
... precisely ...
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hi pe,

First, thank you very much for this, I am however not that last person of that list of circulating recordings but indeed we met in Antwerp and I also remember you. We will surely meet in Lille, during the pre-meeting or at the concert.

I really enjoyed reading your explanation of this unique moment of disturbed silence... A simple word just sums up a whole concert... and by far the most intimate one I have ever attended.

I am pretty sure you already have the whole concert bootleg in your collection but in case you don't, I have a copy of an outstanding quality recording of it all, featuring that precise moment.

Thanks again and Merry Xmas to you, it seems like it is going to be a white one this year in Belgium!

All the best for 2010 too

Nicolas
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Txs for the tip :D Recorded it last night and watched it this after noon. Hadn't seen it before and I enjoyed it very much. There were however a few hick-ups in the sound at the beginning, caused by my recording (HDrecorder) or was that already in the broadcast?
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

HugoD,
i had the same problems, so i guess it's not due to our recording devices, but to the broadcaster, or even the original recording ; i'll know , when i get the official dvd of wight from my record store, i guess.

nicolas,
maarten sent me the bruges concert record, shortly after the "release", but, if you, or anyone else would have recorded the antwerp concert, (either this years', or the 1979 elizabethzaal concert), i would be very happy to find those under some christmas tree

pe
... precisely ...

Return to “News”