Bring Back The Violin

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
B4real

Bring Back The Violin

Post by B4real »

Today’s Unified Heart Touring Company is a collection of individual virtuoso musicians exhibiting a polished performance, very professional in attitude and approach. I love everything about their presentation but there’s something inside of me which yearns for the hauntingly beautiful sound of Raffi Hakopian’s violin. It seems to add that extra ethereal quality to Leonard’s words and voice.

Just listen to the CD Field Commander Cohen: Tour of 1979. Songs like - The Window, The Gypsy’s Wife, The Guests, Bird On The Wire, So Long Marianne……and others like The Traitor, Famous Blue Raincoat and Suzanne.

I don’t mean change their whole approach – just those songs that (in my eyes) could benefit from the inclusion and/or substitution of a traditional violin.

Maybe Dino could add another “string to his bow” so to speak. He seems to be multi-skilled with many instruments.

Am I asking too much? What do you think?
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
GinaDCG

Re: Bring Back The Violin

Post by GinaDCG »

I agree. By the way . . . did you read how Dylan got his violinist for "Hurricane?" Apparently he was driving through Greenwich Village and he ordered his cabbie to stop opposite a woman carrying a violin case. He rolled down the window and said "I'm Bob Dylan. Can you play that thing, and are you busy?" "Not anymore!" she replied, and climbed in and drove to the studio with him to record. (Dylan always preferred spontaneity to rehearsed performances.)
mutti

Post by mutti »

Although I loved the violin I also think Dino is amazing and would never think of this tour without him...
In my humble opinion we can enjoy the violin on the CD's (the past ones) and enjoy Dino and all his talents, music and antics... now on this tour!!!
I especially loved the LC kneel he did in San Jose! brilliant!
Mutti (Leslie) 8) :) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I'll add a voice of dissent! I'm so GLAD there is no violin on the current tour. I have never been a fan of the instrument, and to me it is the one negative point on the otherwise oustanding Field Commander Cohen album! (I don't like it on Recent Songs, either.) I find the sound of a violin to be grating and annoying, especially the high notes, and I say, Good Riddance! :lol:
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

LisaLCFan wrote:I'll add a voice of dissent! I'm so GLAD there is no violin on the current tour. I have never been a fan of the instrument, and to me it is the one negative point on the otherwise oustanding Field Commander Cohen album! (I don't like it on Recent Songs, either.) I find the sound of a violin to be grating and annoying, especially the high notes, and I say, Good Riddance! :lol:
but... um. Do you...? Argh.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Hey, I'm just being honest, and responding to B4real's question of "What do you think?" If we all liked the same things, life would be dull.

Based on the ecstatic response to Leonard's 08-09 tour, including the band, I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who likes it just the way it is.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Good on you Lisa for saying how you feel!! The world needs more people like that.
I love the violin but am so happy Dino is there and find his talent fascinating and love his instruments and think they are perfect.
So I say...the violin wasn't chosen for this tour and So Be It!
Dino is awesome and its perfect...
I just want more concerts to be announced soon so my withdrawal will be fed a little..
Help Dr. H. Guy!
Mutti 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

LisaLCFan wrote:Hey, I'm just being honest, and responding to B4real's question of "What do you think?" If we all liked the same things, life would be dull.

Based on the ecstatic response to Leonard's 08-09 tour, including the band, I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who likes it just the way it is.
I was trying to say that: I hold a drastically different opinion and I see absolutely no point in trying to argue with you.
I think I did a good job of conveying the first part and a miserable job of conveying the second... I'm sorry.
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

No worries, brightnow! It's all cool (and, here I was worried that I offended you. We really need to lighten up!). ;-)

(And, for the record, please don't think that I am a rube, since I certainly appreciate the talent of a virtuoso violinist. It's just not something that I enjoy.)

Cheers! :D
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

LisaLCFan wrote: (... We really need to lighten up!). ;-)
I keep trying, and keep failing at that... :roll:
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I LOVE what Dino does, but I miss the violin and this yearning to have a violin in this current tour is reinforced when I am listening to original recorded pieces. The violin adds so much depth and resonance to already beautiful melodies.

Kindest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
holydove

Post by holydove »

I feel the way you do, Mary. Although I do love & miss the violin, I also love Dino, his musical talent, and his great personality & stage presence; the band's performances have been incomparably brilliant, and if this is the band Leonard is happy with, it's perfect. For years, I hoped and prayed that LC would tour again, my prayer was answered and I'm ecstatic with whatever way, and with whomever Leonard chooses to perform.

It will be interesting to see what LC ends up doing in terms of the upcoming studio recording for the new album. I've heard he might do the album with this band, which is great; but I have to confess to harboring a secret wish that the new album would have less band and more Leonard, like past studio recordings -
B4real

Post by B4real »

Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Ah, but the violin was chosen originally for this tour. And the tour band also included Dino. It was not an either/or situation.
http://www.webheights.net/speakingcohen/tourband.html
From Jarkko, manager of The Leonard Cohen Forum:

Leonard gave us the names of the musicians in his new tour band. Singer(s) to be announced later.

Roscoe Beck - bass & vocal (Musical Director)
Neil Larsen - keyboard, accordion, brass instruments
Bob Metzger - guitar, steel guitar & vocal
Javier Mas - acous. guitar, oud & misc string instruments
Christine Wu - violin, viola, cello & keyboard
Rafael Gayol - drums & percussion
Dino Soldo - keyboard, saxophone, wind instruments & vocal

Additional information on The Leonard Cohen Files.
Unfortunately, Christine Wu had to withdraw.
http://1heckofaguy.com/2008/04/10/backu ... e-problem/

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Arlene,

Well then, as it was in the begining - why can't it be now in the future :?: :)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”