CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Actually

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by Actually »

MaryB, remember what I told you? Now I regret using that cheap thing instead of my favorite polka dot blouse...

Isn't it unbelievable that this man is even so kind to thank us...?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love your warm and beautiful report, Sharon :D . It was so great to meet you.

The way they communicate with one another, the way the communicate with Leonard- it’s almost invisible, yet it’s so magnetically there.
Well said 8) .
Leonard’s smile at the sight of the flying shirts was priceless and just as adorable was his loosing his place in the song (at first I thought all that blouse tossing made me forget the lyrics..)
That's so true... I still lean toward someone's theory that Leonard's rearranging of the lyrics was intentional to fit the occasion, though :) .
(I finally got to dance, we Israelis are warm blooded, dancing lovers, we need our fix during concerts…)
I'm happy for you that you finally got to dance :D .
• Thanks Roscoe for letting me buy you a drink and the wonderful interesting conversation at that wee hour in the Fairmont's bar. Being able to learn about the personal side of a great artist whose talent you admire is a privilege. I would have a drink with you any day! And yes, definitely keep the hair short - looks fantastic!
I can attest. This was clearly a very special conversation.
• I guess I should be grateful for forgetting my scarf behind at the bar of the Fairmont. when I came looking for it the next morning
Now, there's an understatement, Sharon ;-) . I'm so happy for you that you not only got to sit so close to it all, but you got to meet Sharon and Leonard, as well, and get your book signed 8) :D 8) .
btw, the scarf was found – the hotel staff actually neatly folded it, packed it and tagged it as if it was fragile glass, not a beloved wool garment- I couldn’t believe it.
A first-class hotel and staff.
. . . the man is in a league of his own. always will be.
So unbelievably so, isn't he, Sharon. Unbelievably so. Yet, true.

I hope I run into you soon.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

Sharon thanks for the great report! It was fun meeting you and watching you dance wildly in the front row. Lucky You getting to meet Leonard on your last day. I seemed to have missed this chance on 2 occasions by just minutes...both times at the Fairmont on check in and check out. I chose instead on the morning after to have breakfast with the lovely Marie and Albert and have no regrets but it is so wonderful to read and see photos of others chance encounters with Leonard. I hope to have that too one day somewhere. (but if not at least I have the memories of Las Vegas and San Jose and of course the music).
It is so great you travelled from so far to see the San Jose concert. What a great night!
Thanks for handing out some of the glow lights at De Anza at the pre concert meetup.
Keep dancing and I love your smile!
Hope to see you again one day.
Leslie (Mutti) 8) :) 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

I just saw the note from Leonard about the "shower of polka dots." I think that Leonard is enjoying this more and more as time goes on. Congrats to all of you for bringing Anne & I a lot of laughs-how wonderful that the tour is continuing.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

I am thrilled at Leonard's message. Sheer bliss. O God of Leonard Cohen, shield of my loneliness, clasp of my happiness, please send your servant back to North America in 2010!
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
Misty Marie

Post by Misty Marie »

Awwww, that's so sweet! How nice of him to take the time to send it.

And thanks to you, too, Jarkko, for sharing it with us. :) :) :)

Misty
“When legend Cohen takes to the stage, it’s no less than a cultural event of Biblical dimensions.” – The Independent
Phoenix 2009; San Jose 2009; Las Vegas 2010
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Can't decide which was more fun:

- The secret lead-up to the Polka Dot Plot
- Watching the enthusiastic blouse-flinging in real-time at the concert
- Recognizing Leonard's amusement and – yup! – delight at the caper
- Cracking up while living the moments again in the videos posted (from all different angles :))
- Leonard's gracious thank-you to the polka dot queens

I'll savour/save all five to be de-archived again on gloomy, rainy days (like today).
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

I laughed & smiled & smiled & laughed at the video.
How I would have loved to have been a blouse-flinger.
I can think of no other artist who is loved as we love Leonard. :D :D
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Wow, even Leonard's thank-you notes are lovely poetry! He is a beautiful man, and his note is incredibly touching. What a sweet guy. It's no wonder we love him so much! He deserves every bit of it.
phreil

Post by phreil »

The Fedora wrote:
sue7 wrote:
IrishAL wrote:I have just uploaded a few more gems from last night to Youtube. ...
enjoy.

albert
Wow, what an incredible concert!! Thanks so so much for the wonderful videos, Albert. For those of us who weren't there, it's a real gift. I eagerly await the rest.
Have I been asleep, or is that the first time that the new verse in So Long, Marianne has been played?
Here's what I heard:

Your eyes, I won't forget your eyes,
Your body's at home in every sea,
How come you gave away your news to everyone,
I thought you said it was a secret just for me?

And, does anyone know, has this verse been in existence for a while, or is it really new (meaning recently composed)? Either way, how extraordinary, to hear a new verse in a song I've been listening to for nearly 40 years.
Sue
This "extra" verse -and actually one other- have been in existence for a while, I suppose. They're -and were,at least a couple of months ago- on leonardcohenfiles.com .

"Oh your eyes, well I forgot Your eyes
Your body's at home in every sea.
How come you gave away your news to everyone
That you said was a secret for me.

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began ...

If you leave, where will I keep you then
In my heart as some men say
But I who was born to love everyone
Why should I keep you so far away?"

And I'm pretty sure I heard the first one before, in another video-- not instead of the "Your fine spider web/ Fastening my ankles to a stone" verse, but as an addition at the end.

I don't think the very last one was ever performed, though.

I have been intrigued by those lines for a long time myself. They're in my Leonard Cohen Anthology Song Book and this was published in 1991 -- I think they come from the original poetry version of the song. The only other time I have seen him sing them is at Palafrugell (Cap Roig) in Spain this summer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95HmUmjXFtw . I was only a few miles away, but it was my son's birthday so I couldn't go, and I was so sorry to miss those lines.

Just to go on a bit more -- I'm also rather obsessed by Julie and Perla's
"Here comes the morning boat,
here comes the evening train,
Here comes Marianna
to wave goodbye again"

That is to be found on youtube too but I can't quite find it just now. It's hard because it's in the middle of the song, when I saw them perform it at the Albert Hall in 1993 it was at the beginning of the song

Hopefully Leonard will read this and sing the verse at Lille on 3rd of March, when I will be there to hear him!
...more...or less...or more again...the rest is plain to see..
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Hi,
I finally uploaded my pictures (after having some laptop problems).

http://www.maartenmassa.be/images/Album ... index.html
Or go to www.maartenmassa.be and click on "LC Docs"

Enjoy,
Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Maarten your photos are breathtaking. Thank you!
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

Oh my goodness! Your pictures are wonderful Maarten.

Thank you! :D
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Maarten, thank you so much for sharing these: they are wonderful photos!
Sue
Conny

Post by Conny »

Hi Maarten,
thank you so much for th link to your album - simply great :D :D :D
1976&79: Frankfurt| 2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankf./Hamburg/Oberhausen| 2009: Cologne/Berlin/Colmar/Barcelona/Vegas/S.José| 2010: Salzburg/Berlin/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseille/Hannover/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warsaw/Vegas
2012: Gent/Amsterdam/Berlin/London/Dublin/Verona/Toulon/Paris/Barcelona/Madrid
2013: Paris/Antwerp/Mannheim/Brussels/Rome/Lucca/Berlin/Lodz/Prague/Vienna/Pula/Odense/Manchester/Leeds/London/Rotterdam/Amsterdam

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”