CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Carmen

Re: CONCERT REPORT: San José, Nov 13

Post by Carmen »

sturgess66 wrote:
And for all of them - no matter what part of the world - I say "wish I were there." :lol: :lol: :lol:
You're so right!
But it goes like this, when we think of 2010: "Wish I were there... and hope I'll be there!"

Carmen
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Thanks to all you busy posters of reports, photos, videos etc. of the ( not the last ever luckily ) LC concerts. Great entertainment for the rest of us, especially of course the polka dot shenanigans ! :D :lol:
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

One little thing I wanted to mention. For all of you watching the numerous YouTubes etc....did you notice that in Las Vegas both Roscoe and Rafael had polka dot ties!?!?!? Were they anticipating something in Vegas? Hmmm... I mean, how many times would TWO guys wear polka dot ties at the same time? How many guys WEAR polka dot ties!? Did something leak? Perhaps the wrong city? This is sort of interesting... ;-) :D 8)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Sir Albert has uploaded 3 more videos to YouTube. Thanks!!

Chelsea Hotel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVyaFbm5Kkg

Bird On The Wire :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAFk5skZxE

The Future
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UffKE7jbDyA
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

And one more from Sir Albert -

Anthem - including "The Flood" at the begninng
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZcsN0cztRs
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

Thanks for all the great videos!

I wasn't there, but can only imagine. What an experience this year has been. Never been so happy to cry at beauty! For those of you who have not yet had the chance, how happy I am for you that the tour continues into 2010. You'll never forget!

:-)
mirka

Post by mirka »

ladydi wrote: [...]
....did you notice that in Las Vegas both Roscoe and Rafael had polka dot ties!?!?!?
[...]
Did something leak? Perhaps the wrong city? This is sort of interesting... ;-) :D 8)
It might as well be a regular cosmic leak between parallel universes, through a wormhole :razz:
one never knows what powers are at play with Leonard...
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

....did you notice that in Las Vegas both Roscoe and Rafael had polka dot ties!?!?!?
Do you suppose anyone could convince them that the idea came from them... and the thrift shops in San Jose were overrun by Cohen women? If it hadn't been for those ties :idea: .

Or is it "Roscoe and Rafael ~ Resident Prophets"?

~ Lizzy ;-)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

did you notice that in Las Vegas both Roscoe and Rafael had polka dot ties!?!?!?
I for one didn't notice they were wearing polka dot ties..I will have to look at that today. How observant Diana.
It is a cosmic joke isn't it...I wonder if somehow it was leaked to them ahead of time and they were showing their solidarity with those of us who had our blouses hidden in our bags. How wonderful!
I do think Leonard was totally surprised and had no idea it was coming! and especially in the manner that it evolved...
the 'flying saucers' or as I prefer to call it the "whirling dervishes abandoning their blouses to the master of song". ;-) :roll: ;-)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

by: lizzytysh
YaY, Dino! And did anyone happen to get a photo of him in San Jose when he came to the edge of the stage and sat to play, head down. It was a beautiful photo begging to be taken. I would love to have a copy if anyone got it.
Your question appeared on another thread but I agree with ladydi about that horrid thread
ignore this now it will quietly sink to the bottom of the page where it belongs....
So I am responding here.

Check out Dr Heck's piece on Dino's thrilling solo in San Jose. Dr Heck included an amazing screen cap of Dino kneeling that you can copy and the full magnificent video by Albert Noonan.
http://1heckofaguy.com/2009/11/15/dino- ... e-concert/

---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

More videos from Albert. Thanks!!

"I'm Your Man "
I love the look on Leonard's face at 3:49 - and when he takes off his hat at 5:02; and Roscoe is a hoot with his newly spot-lighted "Pleeeeeeeeeese" (TM Roscoe Beck); and Dino at 2:32; but also - that wonderful and subtle little crescendo that Rafael does just before Leonard sings "But the moon's too bright" can be heard perfectly here in Albert's video - at 3:52. Wonderful performance!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-QNm3ljuI

In My Secret Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMH1d7otUQM

The Gypsy's Wife
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBIaEmvmKY
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I love this performance of IYM tooooooooooo! The end...when he waits for the audience to say the line... he does a couple of little nods, like "come on guys, you know what to do" and then he really laughs... so good!!!

Watching these videos over and over makes my face hurt from smiling. :D
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by sturgess66 »

And two more videos from Sir Albert! Thanks!!

Democracy - complete with Leonard's opening remarks and his closing "good night" - and a few added extras - like Javier leaving with a polka dot blouse, and a peek at Jarkko in the audience. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgqOylDcbqs

Take This Waltz - and, as always, delightful duet (Leonard & Hattie) :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur_fk1w054s
Vlastik

Post by Vlastik »

Hello everybody, especially LV/SJ gang!

I am finally back to my usual self - mostly because I have to work and work hard and will work hard as some financial crisis finally hit me. I came back to St. Petersburg early Thursday morning and spent following working days telling stories from my brief stay in the US to anybody who gave up and was willing to listen. And they were listening, they had no other chance, of course, now I´ve been diagnosed by one Mr. Sholwalter. By the way, did you notice he himself has developed very special symptom - he seems to be - everytime, all the time - quite taken by the women surrounding Mr. Cohen. Maybe research should continue in this direction? Then I spent weekend listening, watching, reading, washing /Leonard´s T-shirts, no, my T-shirts - we all know Leonard doesn´t wear such a thing/, browsing the forum to catch up with all your posts - very short weekend.

So, now I just do some remarks to those whose posts I either remember most or just remember at the moment /as my computer at home finally went down so I can´t check them again, ha, ha/.

Mary /Mollydog/
- Ha, you have new man in your life? What a awesome pair you two are! But I have to warn you - I saw the same man on pictures with MaryB /countless pictures/, IrishMar /there was even some kissing (of hand, of course) involved/, Wendy, can go further back, for example Evie B... So, you have been warned - your new beau is a kind of a ladies´ man although he, from time to time, denies it /and we don´t believe him on this one anyway.../. And thank you for everything. I promise I won´t display our photo with red noses here /althouth it is almost as awesome as the one mentioned above/ unless you send me instruction how to do it.

Diana
- you definitely keep your forum name! Only true Lady can shout something like this and remain true Lady. And timing was impeccable! We all can hear it! And true lady means also brave lady!
Otherwise, I was very sorry I didn´t have your phone number because I spent a good 4 hours in Detroit due to missing spare part from our plane´s computer /or at least, we were told that/. What is it with these planes I am on? They either leave without me, or they have too much liquid in it they are leaking, or they don´t have enough functiong computers. Funny, but all these experiences relieved me from my remaining fear of flying.

Esther
- thank you for "ammunition" you gave me so I could participate in tossing polka-dots items to the stage. Maybe you are interested how it ended up. It was very light blouse so I knew it isn´t getting on the stage directly. So I whirled it a bit and then tossed it. It ended up on some guy´s head just few seats from our "bombardiers". When he finally got it out of his head he did the right thing and threw it on the stage and didn´t bother to deliver it to proper throwers. So, at least one man was tossing polka-dots things with us, ladies.
And I really appreciated your "family story". Mom, father, daughter and all extended family got in... It really knocked me out of my chair when I´d imagined that.

Bonnie
- my darling, simply all the best! Never forget in my life parting with you and Phillipe in that parking space. Anyway, we got there by "parking shuttle". Just amazing.

Marsha
-don´t worry about the weather in Moscow even if you are from California. I´ll pack and bring all my sweaters for you, just get here!

To be continued....
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Hi everybody

Like Vlasta, I too am just settling down again ( "and wasn't it along way down") :D from my trip to the U.S. I just got back on Saturday. It was great to meet so many old and new friends in Nashville, St. Louis and San Jose. Thanks especially to Cara, Lily, and Mary for organising the meetups ( and Lily many thanks again for the lift back to my hotel in St. Louis).

The highlight of my trip was meeting Leonard in the foyer of the Fairmont Hotel on the Saturday morning after the San Jose. Unfortunately I was too "flummoxed" to get a pic, but I did get his autograph. It was a wonderful end to the trip for me and feels almost like a full stop to last 18 months of concerts......

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”