667 concerts and counting...

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Pete

667 concerts and counting...

Post by Pete »

1970 - 2009
25 tours
667 concerts (at least)

If this isn't some sort of record I'd like to know who can better it?

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
ladydi

Re: 667 concerts and counting...

Post by ladydi »

Hi Pete,

I'm sure you will shortly have some rabid Dylan fans coming in with numbers (I think most of us know who they might be ;-) ), but Leonard's total is indeed totally awesome! And it isn't over yet! He gives 3 1/2 hours of intensity and is the most gracious and humble of performers. He respects and acknowledges the perfect talent of all his band members and singers/collaborators. I think his loyal fan group may now even outnumber Dylans!

Btw...LOVED your book! More on that later but you are very talented and gifted! Thank you.

Diana
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

I would have to agree with you Lady di on this. Dylan has a strong fan base here in the USA and having just attended a sold out concert at the Fox Theatre I witnessed first hand the diversity of his fans in age just like Leonard. It was however a very different concert performed in the new Dylan style. I was impressed that he did introduce his band members and also did one encore and then faced the audience and said "Thank you". Not very Dylan like...but even sitting in the fourth row I did not feel as connected to Bob Dylan as I do Leonard. They are both unique ,talented individuals with many life experiences to share...in their music. Leonard's music is timeless and the tour has become an awakening for new fans and a long awaited gift for those of us who found his music many years ago.

Pete I would also like to add that I too enjoyed your book... Very cleaver and interesting read.....And yes I am also counting on many more concerts from Leonard to attend...
donalagata
seadove

Post by seadove »

Ever since the enhancement of the internet it was very clear for talented artists that their album selling business would be effected deeply. People all over the world had found an easy (and free) way to obtain their favorite artists' records and albums for nothing.

So the next best thing to do to correct all this is simply by giving out concerts. Simple as that.
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

Isn't bad for someone who became a musician at a late stage, but The Grateful Dead have played more than 2300 live concerts according to Wiki.
Midnight Choir

Post by Midnight Choir »

667 concerts is absolutely vast.

It feels like I have been to at least 256 of them.

I am curious about how and why the setlist changes. I can understand, granted, that new songs like The Darkness and the other one would be added, but, for instance, why would Leonard suddenly add a song like Passing Through to the reserve list?

IT's a mystery/

My favourite concert was an absolute diamond of an affair.

I like that other new song. The one about firing up a cup of coffee.
2008: O2 London - July 17 | O2 London - November 13 | O2 London - November 14 | RAH London - November 17 | 2009: Antwerp - July 4 | Weybridge - July 11
Pete

Post by Pete »

AvidCohenFan wrote:Isn't bad for someone who became a musician at a late stage, but The Grateful Dead have played more than 2300 live concerts according to Wiki.
phew!!!
I'm not up to speed with The Grateful Dead but are there any members of the group who have performed in all 2300 concerts? Has the line -up changed much over the years?

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Pete wrote:
AvidCohenFan wrote:Isn't bad for someone who became a musician at a late stage, but The Grateful Dead have played more than 2300 live concerts according to Wiki.
phew!!!
I'm not up to speed with The Grateful Dead but are there any members of the group who have performed in all 2300 concerts? Has the line -up changed much over the years?

Pete
But there has been thirteen members of grateful dead since it's formation in 1965 but only one member of Leonard Cohen since it's formation in 1967
667 divided by one = 667
2300 divided by 13 = 176.9
NO CONTEST
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Pete

Post by Pete »

By the end of 2008 Bob Dylan had played more than 2100 shows....
now, that must be a record!!!
MusicCityGypsy

Post by MusicCityGypsy »

yes but of those shows...did Dylan ever have women throwing off their polka dotted shirts at him, sometimes TWO at a time, or roses and monkeys being brought to the stage for him :shock: I dare say NO!
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Cara,

Actually, it was about 20-25 women ripping off their shirts....but we had to rely on our front row women to loft and toss! It was SO much fun!!! :D :D :D No, I don't think Dylan has ever seen anything like that....or even (horrors) Tom Jones. Between the blouses, the glow lights, the hoots and hollers, the forum members, the meetups, the band, it was a time in space never to be forgotten!!!! You would have been in the thick of things if you had been here ;-) ;-) !
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Pete wrote:By the end of 2008 Bob Dylan had played more than 2100 shows....
now, that must be a record!!!
Pete

As a rabid Dylan fan who according to the latest reports from Cloud Cuckoo Land is having to stand by and watch Leonard's loyal female-knicker-throwing-fan-base overtake Bob's loyal fan base in numbers I feel obliged to correct you.

The figure of 2100 concerts you quote is only the number of shows since Bob's Never-Ending Tour commenced on 8 June 1988. Bob has another 23 years of touring under his belt prior to the start of the Never-Ending tour in 1988.

So as a hint to Leonard who has been playing virtually the same 22 or 23 songs in approx 200 shows over the last 18 months or so.....

As from last night's show in Boston on his current leg of the Never-Ending tour, which is coming to a triumphant end in New York next week Bob has performed 30 concerts and sung 503 songs of which 66 have been different. The figures in parentheses show how many times Bob has performed a particular song on this tour; if no figures are given then the song has only been played once.

So in conclusion if you divide the number of 66 different songs played into the 30 concerts performed then multiply that figure by the number of uses of 'baby' in the all 66 of the songs then divide it again by the average attendances at each gig and then finally subtract from that total the number of times that Henning has secretly played Bob's Christmas album in his bedroom you will have your answer to whatever the question was.

Highway 61 Revisited (30)
Thunder on the Mountain (30)
Ballad of a Thin Man (30)
Like A Rolling Stone (30)
Jolene (30)
All Along The Watchtower (29)
Cold Irons Bound (23)
Beyond Here Lies Nothing (20)
Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (13)
Workingman's Blues #2 (13)
My Wife's Hometown (11)
Honest With Me (10)
High Water (For Charley Patton) (11)
Spirit On The Water (11)
Gonna Change My Way of Thinking (9)
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (9)
The Man In Me (9)
Ain't Talkin' (11)
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again (9)
I Feel A Change Comin' On (8)
Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine) (10)
Po' Boy (7)
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (7)
If You Ever Go To Houston (7)
Lay, Lady, Lay (7)
Forgetful Heart (7)
This Dream of You (5)
I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met) (5)
Sugar Baby (5)
When the Deal Goes Down (6)
Tryin' To Get To Heaven (6)
Desolation Row (5)
Nettie Moore (5)
Beyond The Horizon (4)
Rollin' And Tumblin' (5)
Watching The River Flow (4)
The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll (5)
Not Dark Yet (4)
The Levee's Gonna Break (3)
Shooting Star (3)
Lonesome Day Blues (3)
Girl Of The North Country (4)
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (3)
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (4)
Cat's In The Well (4)
I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (3)
Things Have Changed (2)
Just Like A Woman (3)
It's All Good (2)
Summer Days (2)
Man In The Long Black Coat (3)
'Til I Fell In Love With You
Mama, You Been On My Mind
Chimes Of Freedom
Love Sick
Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)
It Ain't Me, Babe
Cry A While
Under The Red Sky
Masters Of War
To Ramona
Love Minus Zero/No Limit
Million Miles
Ballad Of Hollis Brown (2)
Every Grain Of Sand
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
donalagata

Post by donalagata »

Okay,
lets be nice... Both of these gentlemen have a gift which they share with loyal fans...This is and never will be a contest between them... They are unique and devine in their own way and we are blessed to have them...
Peace to all....
donalagata
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

liverpoolken wrote:[So in conclusion if you divide the number of 66 different songs played into the 30 concerts performed then multiply that figure by the number of uses of 'baby' in the all 66 of the songs then divide it again by the average attendances at each gig and then finally subtract from that total the number of times that Henning has secretly played Bob's Christmas album in his bedroom you will have your answer to whatever the question was.
Surely Ken that calculation would give you a negative which if I might say so is what you would expect from a present day Dylan concert where as any calculation done for a Leonard concert can only end with a positive
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Philip

Your maths is obviously better than mine....I had the answer as a very positive 42...which coincidentally as we all know is also the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything....some folk would argue that the answer to any question asked about his Bobness will always be 42......ta ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani

Return to “News”