Tom Waits

This section is for all other music-related topics
MegaMilton

Tom Waits

Post by MegaMilton »

What do you all think of Tom? He's great in my opinion. I love his old stuff and the new stuff. Bone Machine and Rain Dogs are his best, but thats just me.
Neophyte

Re: Tom Waits

Post by Neophyte »

Funny you should ask, as I've just spent about an hour looking up all his CDs. I'm a neophyte with Tom, too, but got intrigued when his name popped up so often with Leonard's. I can see why.....intriguing songwriter, compelling voice, dramatic depth and honesty, infinite variety. Wow! So far I've been listening to Rain Dogs, Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards, and his hilarious interviews on YouTube. Fun to find another true original with years of fascinating work! :D
Hallelujah!!!
John the Shorts

Post by John the Shorts »

I've been a fan of Tom for nearly as long as I've been a fan of Len and have most everything - a good starting position (imo) for LC fans would be either "Nighthawks at the Diner" or "Swordfish Trombones" both of which stand out for me
To err is human
To forgive is against government policy

JTS
dharma

Post by dharma »

Another long-time Raindog here 8)

Dylan, Cohen & Waits are the Holy Trinity as far as I'm concerned :)

A video of Waits I shot last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXKkWj6O ... annel_page
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Great video, dharma!! And thanks for the suggestions, John the Shorts!!
Hallelujah!!!
bkmccalla

Post by bkmccalla »

mule variations. some of the most beautiful melodies ever written, eg, picture in a frame.

i used to know him, in hollywood in 1980, where we used to sit in the thrifty parking lot and eat ice cream together, along with another musician, my best friend and roommate at the time, bryan gregory (of the cramps, RIP). those were the days...

regards.
1970, 1983, 1988, 1993/Lyon July 9/Bruges July 10/Amsterdam July 12/Lisbon July 19/Nice July 22/Lucca July 27/Rome July 28/Athens July 30/Beacon February 19/Oakland April 13, 14, 15/Kingston May 22/London May 24/Ottawa May 25, 26/Red Rocks June 4/Las Vegas November 12/San Jose November 13/Las Vegas December 2011 x2/San Jose November 2012/Oakland March 2, 3 2013...i've obviously lost my mind...
John the Shorts

There's some downloads to the BBC 4 series here http://www.tomwaitsfan.com/forums/viewt ... f=1&t=5627
To err is human

JTS
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

I love Tom Waits! Something about that voice just grabs me. His sense of humor is unique and oh, so unexpected. I think my favorites of his are "The Piano has been Drinking" and "Chocolate Jesus". I also just LOVE this clip of Tom and Iggy Pop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Mw6b1T50U. "You call me Iggy." "Ok, sorry I'm late, Jim".............LMAO :lol:

A true genius!

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
John the Shorts

I spent some time last night searching for Henry Rollins "The Tom Waits Story" on YouTube - not sure if I found it I would post the link here though (I'm not a big HR fan but this is the exception)
To err is human

JTS
Neophyte

Post by Neophyte »

Great stories/music on the BBC4 series! Thanks, John!!
Hallelujah!!!
Maulwurf

Post by Maulwurf »

waits is marvelous!

he' s a different kind of artist than mr. cohen, but in his way he is the same kind of genius.

cohen is gentle, full of dignity and elegance,
waits is powerfull, like an uncontrollable force of nature.

"bone machine" is one hell of an album, not only for "dirt in the ground"(perhaps the best song of them all),
"small change" or "mule variations" are great too, but what else should i say:

all the albums are great in their way!

i' d love to see him on stage here in berlin.
but i' m afraid this won' t happen...:-(
dharma

Post by dharma »

I was just watching a trailer for the new Terry Gilliam movie, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

TW is The Devil :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jU3AimF ... edded#t=93
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
John the Shorts

dharma wrote:I was just watching a trailer for the new Terry Gilliam movie, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

TW is The Devil :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jU3AimF ... edded#t=93
Strikes me as typecasting - lol!
To err is human

JTS

Return to “Other music”