10 all time favourite albums

This section is for all other music-related topics
Linda

Post by Linda »

Hi Bob,
Yes, George Jones songs have a lot of good verses in them like LCs songs. The album "Cold Hard Truth" has a lot of good songs. Choices, Day after Forever, When The Last Curtain Falls, Cold Hard Truth, and Someday my Day Will Come" from his anniversary album. His songs are much easier to understand :lol: you don't ponder them for days. Good old George! He is still hanging in there for us too.
Did you discover LC just recently and have the opinion I have of the earlier LC (not liking it as well) or was that someone else I am thinking of from the VP board?
Linda
smile

Post by smile »

I also like Andrea Bocelli and Rodriguez and Daniel O`Donnel but they wouldn`t rate in my top 10. :)
Life is love so treasure every day.........
George.Wright

Ten Albums

Post by George.Wright »

Neil Young.........Broken Arrow
Neil Young.........Sleeps with Angels
Leonard Cohen...Songs of
Leonard cohen....Songs of Love and Hate
Kate Bush...........Lionheart
Pink Floyd...........Echoes
Pink Floyd...........Atom heart Mother
Stevie Nicks.........Timespace
Fleetwood Mac......Rumours
Fleetwood Mac......Tusk
Georges.....................ps this list changes
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
neveranygood

10 Favorite Albums

Post by neveranygood »

Hi Linda,
Yes, I only discovered Leonard Cohen about a year ago now. I'm not able to handle his earlier voice too well. (He hadn't been smoking long enough at that time. :? ) I'm glad he continued to do some of the same songs over the years so that they're available in his later sound. Bob
Junebug

Post by Junebug »

1. Iris DeMent ..... The Way I Should

2. Beatles ..... Rubber Soul

3. Beatles .... Sgt. Pepper's

4. Merle Haggard...... Back to the Barrooms

5. James Gang .... James Gang Rides Again

6. Pink Floyd .... The Wall

7. Pink Floyd.... Dark Side of the Moon

8. Dylan.... Blood on the Tracks

9. Neil Young... After the Gold Rush

10. John Denver... An Evening with John Denver

Stephanie
lightning

Post by lightning »

Almost impossible to choose among the thousands of LPs I've collected omnivorously especially since the price of them used has come down to almost nothing. But these come to mind right away:
1. Jacques Brel--Les Marquises (his last and best, sung with one lung but stopping smoking after cancer operation improved his already beautiful voice)
2. Jacques Brel + Prokofieff--Pierre et Le Loup (spoken French I can understand-- it's for children)
3.Nina Simone--Little Girl Blue (one of the first LPs I ever owned)
4.Joni Mitchell--Song for a Seagull (from the golden age of singer-songwriter)
5.Fugs First Album (seminal New York East Village protopunk garage rock art song-especially "Nothing"--Tuli Kupferberg)
6.Bob Marley--Catch a Fire (cures headaches and stomach aches )
7.Victor Jara- El Derecho Vivir en Paz (very sweet and even more poignant when you know how he ended)
8.Quartetto Polifonico-Choral Music of the 13th to 16th Century (Laudi and Palestrina ( given to me on an acid trip and made a deep and lasting impression)
9. Karen Dalton--In My own Time (Little known tragic Woodstock chanteuse- compared to Billy Holliday and Janis Joplin).
10. Phil Ochs in Concert or Chords of Fame- (Especially Changes, Crucifixion).
Hard to stop here. I've left out /Dylan! Piaf! Loudon Wainwright III! Puccini! Chopin! Bird Songs in Literature. etc. etc.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Lightning,
Seeing it made me recall that I actually had the Fugs album ~ many, many years ago. Have no idea how it came into my possession ~ or left it! My list will also be deviant. :wink: and difficult.
~Lizzytysh
Pete

Post by Pete »

Gentle Giant - 'Playing the Fool'
Mike Oldfield - 'The Songs of Distant Earth'
Roger Waters - 'The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking'
Pink Floyd - 'Atom Heart Mother'
The Nice - 'Five Bridges'
Rory Gallagher - 'Live in Europe'
Amazing Blondel - 'Fantasia Lindum'
Tir na Nog - Tir na Nog
Vangelis - 'Heaven and Hell'
Simon and Garfunkel - 'Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme'

I have tried to choose only one album from each my favourite artistes and haven't been able to include all. No room for the Moody Blues or Canned Heat or OMD or Terry Oldfield or Jon Anderson or Barclay James Harvest or Edgar Broughton or Arthur Brown.....
Damn, I forgot Arthur Brown's Kingdom Come album entitled 'Journey' of which I have a poor recording from my brother's LP many years ago.
I have been searching for a CD version for years and years but believe it is not available....... unless someone here knows different!!!
Pete
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

There is a radio programme called "Desert Island Discs" on B.B.C. every week. It's been running for over 40 years. Guests have to choose 8 records, one book (not Shakespeare or the Bible) and one luxury item.
I find the programme fascinating, being a fan of good radio.
On that theme, could we possibly include a book and luxury item in addition to the favourite records?
You will notice that I've not quoted MY "Desert Island Discs". I've been trying to do this for the lifetime of the programme; but Mozart, Beethoven, Sibelius, Dylan, Wilson, the Beatles and Cohen will figure somewhere in the mixture.
Yours, sitting on the fence,
Andrew.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I am into that Andrew are you gonna put up a new post for it and how about room 101. Ten things you would most like to see consigned to oblivion
Andrew McGeever

Dear Paula,
Between you and me, we've maybe started two strings, i.e. "Desert Island Discs" (what one wants to retain) and "Room 101"(that which is consigned to oblivion).
Both should be developed, so you go first!
Already, this string is deviating from its stated purpose, "Ten Favourite Albums", which is impossible for me to list, though I've given enough clues.
"Desert Island Discs" and "Room 101" lie somewhere in between.
For foreign correspondents, these programmes may require explanation, which I am happy to give. But Paula, I reckon you should start the string; you have a choice of two!
How about you starting the first, and I'll do the second?
Choices of Love and Hate?
Yours, Andrew.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Very droll Andrew I will opt for Hate. I have started a new thread
Andrew McGeever

Well thanks, Paula; so I've to do the "love" bit?
This requires another string: oh yes, I'll start it, but not tonight.
"Desert Island Discs", as you are well aware, doesn't only involve music (eight pieces), but one book and one "luxury item".
To all readers, please pick your favourite eight pieces of music, one book("not Shakespeare or the Bible") and one luxury item to take with you when you are marooned on a desert island.
I can't believe how many correspondents don't know the origin of "room 101".
Mind you, if it's not on D.V.D. or video or M.T.V. or N.B.C. or C.B.C. or B.B.C. , it helps to read books. They can be found in libraries and other secret places. Books are dangerous, and reading them is even worse; they could change your mind!
Andrew.
Irene Teresa

Post by Irene Teresa »

I have really enjoyed reading all your favorites here...

Most of my favorite Cds are by total unknowns - in the spiritual, sacred and/or folky, worldy , new agey type of areas :)

Of the knowns:

These day Bocelli is a big favorite and I love all his albums esp Cieli Di Toscana and Sogno, other that this I would have to add Leonard Cohen: )I cant help it - ( favs being TNS, recent songs and VP )

After these two I would say Dylan esp Street legal and empire burlesque, Supertramps crisis what Crisis has good memories as does that Neil young album with 'four strongwinds' on it - whats it called ?, Enyas shephard moons, Poems of rumi by deepak chopra and friends is something I listen to most everyday,

My son is a big Fan of Nick cave and I admit i have come to like him very much too esp his latest album - No More shall we part.

so so many........I could not pick really true top ten......I admire you who can choose and know your favorites so easily.....I have learnt of some new things to check out by your sharings...thanks.

:wink:

love Irene Teresa
Womanfromaroom

Re:

Post by Womanfromaroom »

linmag wrote:With no mention of LC so as not to fall foul of PRC, and in no particular order:

Pentangle, Basket of Light
Simon & Garfunkel, Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Joni Mitchell, Blue
Bert Jansch, It Don't Bother Me
Dire Straits, On Every Street
Janis Iain, Between the Lines
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Sting, Mercury Falling
James Taylor, Sweet Baby James
Jean Ferrat, Ferrat Chante Aragon
Bob Dylan, Blood on the Tracks

OK, so I can't count either.
I have just landed on this "old" thread because whereas I know that several people on the forum share my passion for Brel, I was curious whether there are also some other Jean Ferrat enthusiasts (like me) … Once I have found this post here, though, I thought I might as well make my own list of ten albums I like particularly – apart from all the Leonard albums that obviously will always make it into my choice of absolute favourites; but you probably would have guessed that anyway… Well, just ten discs is a hard choice to make, and I may be forgetting some albums or even artists now I also like and admire; for example, I love quite a few songs by, say, Donovan, the Zombies or the Yardbirds - but would not be able to name an entire album ... But here is the list (not necessarily in any fixed order), which is at least is a kind of good survey of my – current and general - taste in music:

Jacques Brel: Les Marquises
Jean Ferrat Chante Aragon. L’ Intégrale
Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
Jacques Brel: La Valse à Mille Temps
Ivry Gitlis: The Art of Ivry Gitlis
Jean Ferrat: Nuit et Brouillard
Georges Brassens: Les Copains d'Abord
Saybia: The Second You Sleep
Teapacks: Kol Halhitim
Kris Kristofferson: Me And Bobby McGee
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name

Return to “Other music”