Children liking Leonard Cohen

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
schubert

Children liking Leonard Cohen

Post by schubert »

I got the idea for this from my granddaughter who at 9 is into the usual stuff like Hannah montana etc.
When she hears Leonard its usually "turn that rubbish of" kind of response but there are 2 songs she heard and really likes!
Please dont pass be by which she sings the chorus of and tonight will be fine.Now if I play Songs from a room she asks me to play track 10,she tells me she likes the tune which is quite lively.Who knows she may grow up liking him more. Dose anyone else know of children liking Leonard?

:) :lol:
Stamatina

Re: Children liking Leonard Cohen

Post by Stamatina »

If 14 is a child, yes I do know someone who LOVES Leonard and his music and knows all the lyrics of all the songs by heart. :razz:

The first time I heard one of Leonard's songs I was not even ten years old, it was Dance Me To The End Of Love and I loved it. :)
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

A couple of years ago, there was a big discussion on here about children liking Leonard Cohen, and whether it was appropriate to try to convert them to his music. Does anyone know how to find the thread?
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Is this the thread you were referring to John E.?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8287
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

I think it's great for a child to be raised on L.C's music. I don't mean to sound old and I know it's not me, but kids today have such plastic garbage to listen to and there's a lot of reasons and lack of reason for that.

I often wonder how I would have turned out if I had been (more exposed to it than I briefly was) in my childhood. If the parents can't put any values into their kids, maybe Leonard's music can.

schubert, it must be the whistling part on Tonight will be fine, I could imagine that would make it a fun song for a child. I wonder if the ending of 'One of us cannot be wrong' would be a sing-a-long for a child :lol:
Anyway, the next step is to take your grandchild to see one of the Shrek movies because doesn't Leonard have a song in one of those?

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

Well, children have very sharp antennas for recognition of pleasant and fond of children people. So even though Leonard`s music would be too difficult for them I`m sure that the little ones would fall in love with him if they had a change to meet him personally. :D
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Our children are extremely well rounded in their musical preferences. Yet, I have never been able to foster that appreciation of LC, but they do love some of his music. Maybe that is because I am so passionate and vocal about my love of all of LC's body of work. Now, for the Columbus concert, I have purchased an extra ticket so our son can be present with us. I hope I haven't made a mistake, but he needs to experience an LC concert. Hopefully, in the future he will say, "I'm so glad you convinced me to go.".
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
schubert

Post by schubert »

Yes she dose like the whistling,but really as soon as it came on she loved it,and of course she likes Hallelujah, thanks to pop idol.The one good thing to come out of that programe as far as Im concerned,and also the song is used in Shrek,the Rufus Wainwright version I think. :roll: :) :lol:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi imaginary friend,

Thanks for sending the link to the earlier thread about children and Leonard's work: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8287

I don't remember ever hearing the conclusions of the young lady who set out to read "Beautiful Losers" with her father. I hope that didn't result in him banning Leonard in the house!

All the best, John E
schubert

Post by schubert »

Well now my granddaughters 10 and to my surprise when I put on Im Your Man a few days ago she was singing along to the first 3 songs, :)
aint no cure for love seemed her favourite,funny thing is I wasnt even aware she knew them,just shows you I guess that as I play leonard
hes beginning to make some kind of impression on her.
Funniest thing to me was on sunday when her Mum was driving her to church she was singing the chorus to aint no cure much to her mums consternation! :shock: :!:
Her mum falls into the type of people who just dont get or cant stand Leonard at all,cant sing,depressing well you know all the usual negative things so many people say about him. I did say to her that when shes older she may have good memories of listening to Leonard as a child.
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

schubert wrote:the type of people who just dont get or cant stand Leonard at all,cant sing,depressing well you know all the usual negative things so many people say about him.
Haha! My father and my brother share this opinion and I let them know that, when I die, Leonard's songs will play at my funeral, so that from then and on they won't be able not to cry when they listen to him!! :razz: :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
sue7

Post by sue7 »

My daughter is now 12. When she was 10 she loved Everybody Knows, and sang it for her school's talent show a capella. She will be attending her third concert in October. The first time she enjoyed it; the second time she seemed to really love it. Who knows what the third will bring?
Yankovic

Post by Yankovic »

They sentenced me to twenty years of boredom

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”