We are not convinced

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Anyone who wants these images can print them out from the Internet. You need not have a competition so that one wins and the rest lose. You need not fight over them so you outdo everybody else. You do not need the "prestige" of an orginal or to horde it for future sale at a high price. These are perversions that capitalism has brought to the art world. If these drawings mean something to you, call them up on your computer screen and click "print". They are there for everyone to have.

I love a good fight and would enter the contest and try to outdo everybody else and win and lord it over everyone while hording it "for future sale at a high price."

The greatest art has always resulted from an atmosphere of "perverted capitalism." Give me those perverted Medici over the National Arts Council any day.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I differ with you on that Moonlight. If I did win anything like that I would keep it. There are more important things than money and something like that is priceless :D
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Despite the [obvious] 'value' of something turning up on E-bay, for those still wanting it, that realm has never been a consideration for me....past, present, or future. On anything Leonard-related, my thinking adheres to the lines of give, trade, or will.
lightning

Post by lightning »

The transmission is in the image, not in the paper it is drawn on or the paints used to paint it. That is why he presented it as he did rather than put in an art gallery for sale or offered it as a prize. It is there for everyone with a computer ( or near a library) to have. Very 21st century, very progressive- democratic. Avail yourself.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

But Lightning,

Clicking and printing? Then I'd just be a copyest. Original art is so much better. Don't you agree? :?
lightning

Post by lightning »

Moonlight you are in the darkness. I am not convinced you understand my post. I don't know of any other way to re-phrase so I'll just drop the matter. "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

"ANY original art would interest me more than somebody's copy."
lightning

Post by lightning »

A computer print-out of Cohen's earnest self-portrait is original art. An oil and canvas copy of something in the Louvre (I believe you are referring to Suzanne Elrod's craft) is not original art."It's the thought that counts." This thread is straying from trying to understand what Cohen is telling us and is an example of "fighting over trivial matters."
Linda

Post by Linda »

How does LC submit his drawings? Who holds the original piece of paper in their hand that Leonard has held in his hand, and bent over and drooled on, I mean drew on. :) That piece of paper would be much more precious to me than a computer generated printout. However I happily have them saved and they scroll across my screen savers every once in awhile.
Linda
Kush

Post by Kush »

If Suzanne Elrod's is "craft" and this is "art" then gimme craft anyday. Looks more like newspaper cartoon to me. More power to craft !!

p.s. Moreover the splendid copies of Louvre is only one part of her repertoire. How many "artists" can do that? And given the rates that she is charging she's obviously doing very well indeed.
lightning

Post by lightning »

"And given the rates that she is charging she's obviously doing very well indeed.'

George Bush's work also commands a high price. Does that mean he's "doing well?" How simple it would be if money always rewarded merit. How simple one must be to believe it always does.
Linda

Post by Linda »

A high price at who's standards?
Linda
Kush

Post by Kush »

Well I do know for sure that I can draw squiggly lines of my face but I cannot do the stuff that SE does. Not even close. So I would hope her stuff has some value.

But since everybody appears to be enjoying the drawings I will say no more of it.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Dear Linda,

Who holds the original piece of paper in their hand that Leonard has held in his hand, and bent over and drooled on, I mean drew on.
That's the best laugh I've had in a long time. Many thanks. I've missed your Minnesota drollery.

M
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Dear Lightning,

I like Leonard's latest exercise in vanity...but I would rather have an oil and canvas copy of something in the Louvre by Suzanne Elrod. As for the "thought that counts" what exactly is Leonard's thought? He draws a self-portrait, attaches a cryptic message to it and wafts it through cyberspace. Nobody knows what it means and as for trying to understand it...who can do that? Like a lot of his poems I think it's all just a private joke. Maybe he's making fun of us.

M

Return to “Comments & Questions”