Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Giulia

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by Giulia »

lizzytysh wrote:Hi Giulia ~

It is an annual, Forum tradition to have a designated thread here to wish Leonard a Happy Birthday. It begins approximately one month prior to his birthday, maybe a little closer than that. Jarkko passes the thread on to Leonard at the appointed time, but people continue to add to it [latecomers, y'know ;-) ] and I have every reason to believe that those will be read by Leonard, as well. It's great for all of us to be able to read in one place the individual greetings, which often express how much Leonard means to the person sending them.

The address for Leonard's management company, as well as their email address, is posted on the main page of http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com [also available at the top of this page]. Simply because they stay so busy, though, I would be inclined to mail something to the management company's street address.

~ Lizzy
Hi Lizzy
Yes, i am new here, but all my life a big fan of LC, the greatest for me. I just heard about the forum, by Marie.
Ty So much for telling me how and what. Its difficult, with the time, if its night here, you are all here, and otherwise.
But its the reality, so i write now, and you read it later, thanks very much again, many greetz from
Giulia ;-)
Leonard 77, 21 of september 78, and still the greatest of all times

In my secret live.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Giulia,

I know this is not the right thread - so sorry moderators and Dick here especially - but I too wanted to welcome you to the forum. It is so nice to see 'new' members jump in and become active, contributing members almost from the beginning. I do hope you stay around this lovely place.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
sue7

Post by sue7 »

dick wrote: Linda and I will definitely do an overnight there on the 23rd, and that becomes a strong reason for doing the dedication on that date. Nothing in concrete yet, but will let you know here.

Dick
That's sounds wonderful, Dick!! I would love to be there for the dedication.
Sue
dick

Post by dick »

Hi Everyone

Hotel has instructed that best way for reservations will be by phone -- Ask for Alison, and simply tell her you are a member of the Leonard Cohen Forum to obtain your discounted rate.

You can put that information in the note section online, but that can only be recognized by an after the fact adjustment. So, the request is ... call if at all possible.

Moving ahead with plans to do something official on October 23rd. To whet your appetite, and keep you from having to search back, here is the plaque again:
Attachments
final chelsea plaque .jpg
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Reserved my rooms for the 22nd to 25 Oct. in the Chelsea Hotel today,
but had to cut back on the Concert tickets price what with cost of Flights from Ireland etc.
now sitting in Section 5, does not look too bad.
Looking forward to meeting some of you at the unveiling on the 23rd.
Thank you again Dick for all your effort,
It is great to be involved in something to honor and appreciate Leonard
~~~~~~like you would do,
for One that you love ~~~~~~
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
jjm

Post by jjm »

One might also add another line to the plaque,
ARTIST, MENTOR, COMFORTER AND FRIEND
(or at least ARTIST)
Thank you Leonard for coming back to NEW YORK!!
dick

Post by dick »

Confirmed my Chelsea reservation today and had first chat with Alison. She seems very nice. Said I should post her direct line for forum members to reach her for reservations. It is 646-484-3955.

Good luck. We look forward to seeing several of you in October.

Dick
mutti

Post by mutti »

Hi Dick
This may be a bit unrealistic, but would it be possible if someone set up a webcam or tape the ceremony
so we can all feel part of it...if not in the moment its happening then at least to see it on a video camera later.
not sure how easy it would be but just putting it out there.
Its such an exciting and wonderful thing you all have put together..
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

mutti wrote:Hi Dick
This may be a bit unrealistic, but would it be possible if someone set up a webcam or tape the ceremony
so we can all feel part of it...if not in the moment its happening then at least to see it on a video camera later.
not sure how easy it would be but just putting it out there.
Its such an exciting and wonderful thing you all have put together..
Leslie

Leslie,
I thank for these words :)

Dick, I also ask for it. Very !

Beata
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
medicinejar

Post by medicinejar »

I sent along my contribution today but wanted to thank Dick publicly for doing this. A wonderful idea!

Cheers
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

we have made on-line reservations for Hotel Chelsea and have availed of the L.C. Forum discount rate
by sending email requesting same for the attention of Alison to;
reservations@hotelchelsea.com
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
Norvo

Post by Norvo »

Such a nice idea, but I dunno, somehow I find the proposed text a bit... lacking. Sure, its factual and all, but how about jazzing it up a notch or two. Commemorate in style with a text like:

"Leonard Cohen got a blowjob here.
Then wrote a song about it.
Also, there used to be bears in the elevator.
Groovy, huh?"

Go on, dare to play with it a little, ya know, like Janis did at the Chelsea, back in the day...
dick

Post by dick »

Leonard's plaque will be one with many others.... all respectful and tasteful --
No other comment Norvo --

On the video request... the Hotel Manager advises that they plan to tape the proceedings, and will be happy to provide it to us....

We also welcome anyone with videocam who wants to preserve and share it with us all.
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Dick, I hope to be there. I am no great videographer, but I would be happy to bring a video camera and tripod, film it and share it with everyone.
I'll wait for your plans to be finalized and shared with us before I can promise that it will be possible.
This is so wonderful. I know I've thanked you before, but thanks again for doing this!
Sue
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks Sue

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”