covers of LC on youtube by forum members??

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
mr.midnight

covers of LC on youtube by forum members??

Post by mr.midnight »

Who on this forum has one or many LC covers on youtube? Could you post them here if you have them?
If you don't want to and prefer to keep your privacy, I understand that.
It would be so cool if someone did Stories of the Street or Teachers

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
Pete

Re: covers of LC on youtube by forum members??

Post by Pete »

Hi mr midnight
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9598

This link should take you to a thread which 'chronicles' my encounters with youtube
It's a long term project :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/cohenite451
and this takes you direct to my youtube

Sorry I haven't done Stories of the Street or Teachers....maybe I'll put them on my list of ones to do.

Hope you enjoy

Pete (cohenite451 8) )
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

Hey! Thanks for sharing that, Pete. I really enjoyed the 'Seems so long ago, Nancy' song that you did, it totally works with the capo like that.

I suppose this is a good time to plug something I found on this forum that'll help with learning every LC song, even stories of the street which I tried last night: http://www.maartenmassa.be/CohenChords/index.htm

Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi Mr Midnight
It took me ages to figure out how to play 'Seems so long ago, Nancy' to suit the pitch and this is what I ended up with.... thanks for the response.

I'm trying to find the right pitch for 'hey, that's no way to say goodbye'

Sisters of Mercy is the one that has eluded me the last 30+ years. I can do the fingerpicking, I can do the chords, I can sing the lyrics but it's when I put them all together :) One day I will do it!!!
Good luck with Stories of the Street. Maarten's chords are safely stored in my computer although I do take the easy route and transpose them to the ones my fingers like.

Pete
1974: Brighton Dome 1976: Birmingham Town Hall 1993: London RAH 2008: Manchester Opera House, London O2, Matlock Bandstand, Birmingham NEC 2009: Liverpool Echo Arena 2013 Birmingham
Slingertje

Post by Slingertje »

Dear Mr. Midnight,

I made 2 Leonard Cohen covers myself and put them on Youtube. I'm a singer/guitarist from the Netherlands. Toghether with my friends we did versions of Famous Blue Raincoat and Last Year's Man. Just for fun because I love the songs. We got in contact with Cohen's management and they support our effort.
I'm proud of that.
See what you think and let me know.

Greetz,
Slinger

Ricky & Slinger and the Flabbergasting Friends

Famous Blue Raincoat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36wYtUYNIwY

Last Year's Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsX53ijZ3w
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

Pete wrote:Hi Mr Midnight
It took me ages to figure out how to play 'Seems so long ago, Nancy' to suit the pitch and this is what I ended up with.... thanks for the response.

I'm trying to find the right pitch for 'hey, that's no way to say goodbye'

Sisters of Mercy is the one that has eluded me the last 30+ years. I can do the fingerpicking, I can do the chords, I can sing the lyrics but it's when I put them all together :) One day I will do it!!!
Good luck with Stories of the Street. Maarten's chords are safely stored in my computer although I do take the easy route and transpose them to the ones my fingers like.

Pete
Hello Pete...
There was one chord in Seems so long ago that, by itself or with a combination of other chords, might not be so hard but it threw me off, maybe it was the C#m but I can't remember, I just played it as a higher power chord instead (5th string/9th fret) and it worked about the same.
On Sisters of Mercy, the semi- guitar solo throws me off, it's like he's playing rhythm guitar AND the lead at the same time while finger picking, it's the G/D, D/A, A7, D Part... and it doesn't read the way it sounds!!! I can only finger-pick the song slowly, like half the speed, and sing with it. It might just hit you one day.
Actually, out of all L.C's songs, I've had the least trouble with Stories of the Street, the B chord has been the only problem but if I practice it enough I think I'll get it. I guess using a capo is a way of making your own version of this or any other song, transposing it?
I don't have any videos on youtube because I don't have the means of doing so...

Slinger,
I have actually seen this video before! A few months ago I was on a Leonard binge on youtube and remember coming across it. It sounds very different than the original but who could resist putting such great lyrics to use?
Looks like a pro video, is your band known or doing well in the Netherlands?

Slingertje

Post by Slingertje »

No, we're not a band. Just some friends with good equipment and a friend that makes video and supported us. It all just for fun. Made here at home.
After the summer we start recording a Pink Floyd inspired song. Just for the love of music. Please enjoy it and tell all your friends. We're just reaching out to musis lovers all over the globe.
Greets,
Slinger
Pete

Post by Pete »

Slingertje wrote:Dear Mr. Midnight,

I made 2 Leonard Cohen covers myself and put them on Youtube. I'm a singer/guitarist from the Netherlands. Toghether with my friends we did versions of Famous Blue Raincoat and Last Year's Man. Just for fun because I love the songs. We got in contact with Cohen's management and they support our effort.
I'm proud of that.
See what you think and let me know.

Greetz,
Slinger

Ricky & Slinger and the Flabbergasting Friends

Famous Blue Raincoat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36wYtUYNIwY

Last Year's Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCsX53ijZ3w
Thanks for sharing these, Slinger. I think they are superb. I love the images you show in Last Year's Man. Any more Cohen covers on the way?? :)
Pete
Pete

Post by Pete »

mr.midnight wrote:I don't have any videos on youtube because I don't have the means of doing so...
Do you have a digital camera?? That's all I used.

Pete
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

I do, but it only shoots about 3 seconds of footage at a time, unless I'm missing something. I take lots of pictures with it at least.

Pete

Post by Pete »

mr.midnight wrote:I do, but it only shoots about 3 seconds of footage at a time, unless I'm missing something. I take lots of pictures with it at least.
Can't you condense 'Stories of the Street' into 3 seconds? :)
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight »

If I'm not filming it, I can play most of the song start to finish but if I was filming it, 3 seconds worth wouldn't be a bad idea! :lol:

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”