Suzanne Vega to support Leonard at Weybridge

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
meglos2000

Suzanne Vega to support Leonard at Weybridge

Post by meglos2000 »

Hi,

Just read that Suzanne Vega will be the support act for Weybridge.

Interesting that he has never had a support act before on this tour (or am I wrong there?), but Suzanne Vega is an ideal choice and she has often mentioned being a fan.

Info is here on her website, and if you scroll down, there is a link to a long interview between them with a great pic too!

http://www.suzannevega.com/

John
John Etherington

Re: SUZANNE VEGA TO SUPPORT LEONARD AT WEYBRIDGE

Post by John Etherington »

All very well, but two questions arise...will Suzanne Vega be able to hold the attention of an open-air crowd that size, and will Leonard be playing a full-set?
cpl593h

Post by cpl593h »

damien rice supported him in dublin last year

not into S Vega but i admit she's a good choice
John Etherington

One other key point - I don't remember the show being sold as "Leonard Cohen plus support".

I quite liked that album of Suzanne Vega's with "Luka" on it, but I can't see why she's a particularly good choice as a support. A dubious myth seemed to emerge in the late 1980s that Suzanne Vega or Tanita Tikarum were the female Leonard Cohen!

If Leonard had to have a female support, my top five choices (apart from obvious band members) would be Judy Collins, Buffy Sainte Marie, Jennifer Warnes, Julie Felix and Felicity Buirski.

All good things, John E
Clem

Post by Clem »

That may explain why the starting time is advertised as 6pm; it would still leave time for the full LC concert.
John Etherington

Oh, that's alright, then!
palefire

Post by palefire »

John Etherington wrote: I quite liked that album of Suzanne Vega's with "Luka" on it, but I can't see why she's a particularly good choice as a support. A dubious myth seemed to emerge in the late 1980s that Suzanne Vega or Tanita Tikarum were the female Leonard Cohen!
I'm quite a fan of Suzanne Vega & reckon that there's a reasonable overlap between her audience & Len's.

She's got ambitions of being a poet too, and has had her lyrics & poems pulled together in an anthology.

If Leonard is gonna have female support my choice would be.... Patti Smith - also an acclaimed poet/writer before moving into music.

I think there'd be more overlap between Suzanne Vega & Cohen fans than Cohen/Smith though... what d'ya reckon - straw poll anyone?
Dream Warrior

Post by Dream Warrior »

The interview of Leonard Cohen by Suzanne Vega was a hoot. Seems to me that HE interviewed HER. The man's charm is second-to-none. I enjoyed this interview ALMOST as his music... well, that may be a slight stretch.
sharong

Post by sharong »

Suzanne and her band are a perfect choice to support LC. Suzanne a long time NYer who is a stable in the contemporary singer songwriter genre fills performing arts center. She was at many of the same festivals as LC last year and is touring Europe. She has an established band and has a variety of songs beyond.... Luka or Tom's Diner..

I see her as often as I can and she can rock.... She is funny and serious about her stuff..

She is a great compliment as she is poet and writer herself.....

wish i could be there....

Sharon G
Squidgy

Post by Squidgy »

Don't forget, she did a great cover of "Story of Isaac" on the Tower of Songtribute album.
Elizabeelzebubeth

Post by Elizabeelzebubeth »

LC&SV.jpeg
LC&SV.jpeg (12.29 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
John Etherington

Sub-title: "Bring me the head of the support act"!
John Etherington

palefire wrote: "Leonard is gonna have female support my choice would be.... Patti Smith"

Hi palefire,

Agree...Leonard and Patti would be an interesting combo (and we know they met at Barbican a couple of years ago). I was going to say that perhaps Patti shouldn't work the audience into a rock 'n roll frenzy before a Leonard gig...but I guess that if Leonard could follow Hendrix at the Isle of Wight, then following Patti wouldn't be such a problem!

Cheers, John E
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

My choice would be kd lang (as long as she didn't do Hallelujah, even though that is my favorite cover of this song - shouldn't take anything away from the master). Her music choices would flow seamlessly into an LC set.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
iveta

Re: Suzanne Vega to support Leonard at Weybridge

Post by iveta »

What about Tracy Chapman?

...she would particularly support him singing
you can be pretty and tragic
but I will always keep your walls from falling down
(It's OK)

just joking of course :)

she is starting her summer tour too but I am not sure if I could afford both her and LC
Of course I´m pathetic, I´ve spent my life getting the most impressive stuff out of the most impressive books. Malcolm Bradbury

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”