I'm pointing your little poem – which I just noticed – back to you Jack:

You inspire the thought
that dispreaching isn't taught
but rather caught –
like a cold.
Manna

Re: Dispreached

Post by Manna »

preaching a bunch of shoulds, or if onlys.
I wonder if to be dispreached, if this part of the head might need to be quieted a bit so that other parts of the head can find their own voice again. So maybe it would be a combination of submission and self direction.
All the parts of the brain are just components of the whole, and even the annoying, naughty and silly/stupid parts are still valid. I don't think you have to be absolutely dispreached in order to be happy or to have a valid perspective. If you were, I don't think you'd be whole. People need each other.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Manna wrote: If you were, I don't think you'd be whole. .
You think all that internal dialogue going on is part of your brain and if they stopped talking you would be losing part of your brain?
Everything being said to you is true; Imagine of what it is true.
Manna

Post by Manna »

No. Just that having them is human and valid.
And I should probably tell you that I am moving away from using mind as a noun. The brain minds.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Manna wrote:No. Just that having them is human and valid.
And I should probably tell you that I am moving away from using mind as a noun. The brain minds.
Would you be comfortable having a stroll with someone whose experience tells him that the mind brains?

and yes of course having them is human and valid.
There are ways though to experiment with seeing how you like it when they are not there. what it is like when the internal chatter stops. Then you can decide for yourself if you would be more or less whole.
joanna42

Post by joanna42 »

Violet wrote:Hi J. 42...

It just so happens that there's a conversation of sorts on just that poem (The Owl and the Pussycat, I mean) somewhere on p. 2 of George.Wright's "Turn Your Cow Eyes Away" thread... FYI, and since you seem to be new here, if you don't want to start searching through the pages of threads here, you can look up this thread by simply looking up his or my own posts (if you check under the heading "members" at the top right of your screen).. and down the rosters of posts under our names you will start to see that thread mentioned... "Colonial Suicide" (another thread detailing the "romance" of Georges and Violet) is like the sequel to that thread (and you can find it on this first page of threads)..

I am by no means the poetry section's librarian.. these are threads I know about because of my involvement in them... I also think they're kind of fun, so I thought I'd mention them to you since you brought up that wonderful fanciful poem that I've loved since childhood, and since I had a personal story to tell that in some manner involves that poem...

anyway, welcome to this section of the L.C. Forum,

v i o l e t
thank you for the guide, Violet. I really enjoyed your owl and pussycat posts. I gather you and George are married irl and I think it is really sweet that you both post here!
Manna

Post by Manna »

Would you be comfortable having a stroll with someone whose experience tells him that the mind brains?
The brain, already being a tangible thing in the real world, holds more reality for me in my experience than a 'thing' you call a mind inventing a tangible organ in the real world. It's like suggesting to me that digesting stomachs, or breathing lungs. Call it what you like, though.

Yes, I am comfortable, but I don't know if someone with that perspective would be comfortable with me.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Manna wrote: Yes, I am comfortable, but I don't know if someone with that perspective would be comfortable with me.
like a glove

In one of leonard's songs he uses a phrase
Making objects
Out of thoughts
Making more
By thinking not
I wonder if that relates
Manna

Post by Manna »

Here's how I always thought about that quote.

My husband taught to high schoolers art for 30 years. Often he would come upon a student who was staring out the window or into the corner. "What are you doing?" he would ask the student.
"Thinking," the student would reply, "trying to get an idea."
"Stop thinking, start doing, then you will get an idea."

"Thinking" doesn't do much for you when you're trying to invent. Moving the pencil around on the paper is much more valuable a thing to do than thinking.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Manna observed:
>"Thinking" doesn't do much for you when you're trying to invent.

i don't think there's too much danger of that going on in here, luvvy.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Manna wrote: "Thinking" doesn't do much for you when you're trying to invent. Moving the pencil around on the paper is much more valuable a thing to do than thinking.
If you are able to be just thinking about what you are doing and not doing it with your mind still in that corner. If what you do or what you are told to do doesn't draw in full engagement of your thinking maybe it would be best to climb out of that window, or else take some Ritalin.
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Sammie sit down right here and invent

Invent what?

just invent something right here and now

I want to see the nurse

good invention Sammie, you are excused

no, you don't understand, I want to see the nurse. The one with the big tits. I think that would give me something to invent. Could you get her for me?

Ah.. .. I don't know. I never thought of that. What I mostly learned in school was to not think and let others think for me. What else do you find interesting that might be more within my reach.

I will be glad to help. Let me think about that for a bit. maybe you can tell me about what inspires you. I hear you have a lovely wife, can you tell me something about her?
Manna

Post by Manna »

He never ever told his students to sit down & invent something from scratch with no guidance. There was always a project, guidelines, something to learn, and if a student didn't want to do the projects, then (since it was an art class) he could always drop the class or take a failing grade. There was very little talk of inspiration, and very much talk of quality and craft. His style of teaching was mostly showing people how to do stuff.

- here is how to make a 2-dimensional drawing look 3-dimensional.
- here is how to do scrimshaw
- here is how to draw very quickly with your off-hand
- here is how to enlarge a drawing
- here is how to make a wooden spoon
- here is how to distort a face
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Manna wrote:He never ever told his students to sit down & invent something from scratch with no guidance.
I certainly wasn't writing about him. My Sammie was my art teacher and I was wondering that if I handled it differently I might had been more helpful to him.
As it was when he asked me if the reason that I looked out the window was because of boredom, I replied that yes, I found the class to be boring and that I found him as a teacher to be boring. He started to cry and that evening I had to go visit him with a friend and see if i could help him restore some of his dignity. I think that he was more interested in marrying me than in teaching me. It was rather odd that I made him cry like that because a few months earlier he came to me once in the hall and said that he thought that I was going to get a pretty good score in some provincial writing competition. I asked why and he said that he saw that the judge reading my entry was crying. I guess he saw me as a way to cry.
Anyway Manna could we step back a little before we started with personal teachers and take another look at Leonard's
Making objects
Out of thoughts
Making more
By thinking not
do we want more objects or less objects?
Violet

Post by Violet »

.. just to butt in a bit.. I don't think Leonard means making more objects, but doing something more.. something more valuable, in other words.. it's not about quantity I don't think.. it's about getting out of our own way when our conscious thoughts would have us "behave," so to speak, which can be boring and predictable.. it's to let the unconscious mind.. or God even... or spirit.. have their way with us.. no?.. or speak through us, as it were..

.. hi Jack, by the way.. I like reading your personal stories.. thanks for sharing them..

v i o l e t xxx
Violet

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”