CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, May 12

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Philadelphia, May 12

Post by lizzytysh »

I’ve always found it hard to take Cohen as seriously as he took himself, especially since so many of his songs sounded as if they were designed to get women to sleep with him.
Okay... so he never really 'got' Leonard. It's good to know he felt he got his money's worth now. He said some lovely things about Leonard's performance, all of which are true.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

sturgess66 wrote:From Philadelphia CityPaper -

Levity isn’t a trait one associates with Cohen
Of course it is! Especially by forum members!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

lizzytysh wrote:
I’ve always found it hard to take Cohen as seriously as he took himself, especially since so many of his songs sounded as if they were designed to get women to sleep with him.
Okay... so he never really 'got' Leonard. It's good to know he felt he got his money's worth now. He said some lovely things about Leonard's performance, all of which are true.~ Lizzy
What was it Leonard said wrily, about the number of nights he has slept alone ...?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
yaniv297

Post by yaniv297 »

That setlist is very different from the usual... no Gypsy's Wife, Sisters of Mercy returns, Take This Waltz replaced as a set closer with Democracy.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

sturgess66 wrote: I have video of the whole of "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "If It Be Your Will." I was so hoping that someone would put up a video of "If It Be Your Will" from Tuesday night - the beautiful unfolding of the song - to quote Leonard Cohen - by Neil Larsen and The Webb Sisters - and then discovered that I have it all. The only problem is that I have both those songs as one long video and it is 12 minutes - 2 minutes too long for YouTube. I tried splitting it using Google Picasa but it didn't seem to work. Maybe I will figure it out.

Anyone know of any free software download that is good for splitting video? I think there would be no problem putting the whole thing on Vimeo - but I would rather separate the songs.
I'm quoting myself above. Never mind - I did it. :lol: Someone from the fan board of a different artist very kindly helped me figure it out. :D

So - another video on YouTube from the Philadelphia show:

Beautiful performance "If It Be Your Will" by Leonard Cohen, Neil Larsen and the Webb Sisters - from the Philadelphia show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyqlUHSEGcA
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I have two more.

Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRFS3KceyWs

And a short clip of Dino Soldo:

Dino Soldo – Solo from I’m Your Man
Vimeo:
http://www.vimeo.com/4683341
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h930XE1mVTM

I have just posted the videos here as I have uploaded them - but I am going to put them all together in one post when I get a round tuit. Vimeo has a weekly limit and I have reached it - so I could not put all of them there.

And - oh - I wish I were in NYC!
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

I found I had "Chelsea Hotel #2" on my smaller camera - all except the very beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bEaOTNIuqQ

Still looking.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From Bag of Songs
all the best music - local, national, worldwide since 2006

Leonard Cohen Live At The Academy Of Music 05.12.09

May 17, 2009 by -tom

Finally catching up a bit on my week this morning. This past Tuesday night at the Academy Of Music in Phildelphia a 74 year Leonard Cohen delivered what not only likely be the best show I will see this year but also one of the best shows I have ever seen. He skipped on and off stage with the excitement of someone on their first tour ever while delivering a 3 hour,26 song set that held the audience’s rapt attention the entire time. Backed by a stellar band he let each member shine, removing his hat in respect as each took solos during the evening. Although he is a seasoned veteran, he felt no need to play it safe and reinvented his songs old and new, including a stellar version of Tower Of Song in which he was acompanied mostly by just a casio keyboard, and a spoken word take on 1000 Kisses Deep. He graciously thanked the audience after each round of applause and the night ended with multiple standing ovations. A brilliant night from a true legend, if you have a chance to catch him on this tour I highly advise it, who knows if you’ll get another chance.

See Ryan Cormier’s glowing review and some excellent photos of the night via Delaware Online here.

Leonard Cohen
05.12.09 Academy Of Music Philadelphia PA

Dance Me To The End of Love
The Future
Ain’t No Cure For Love
Bird on a Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Chelsea Hotel
Who By Fire
Waiting For the Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
Take This Waltz
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I’m Your Man
1000 Kisses Deep
Democracy

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

I Tried To Leave You
Wither Thou Goest

[closing thank you video via philebrity here]

Click on the link to the site to access his "live" links:
http://bagofsongs.com/2009/05/17/leonar ... ic-051209/
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Dumbjaw wrote:
bridger15 wrote:If you look at my avatar to the right, you will see a representation of the High Priest's hands (LC?) performing this ritual. This is a scan of the LC keychain I bought at the merch stand in Los Angeles. It never leaves my person. I feel blessed all the time.
Likewise, this sterling silver ring will never leave my finger:

ImageImage

As I mentioned in my post in the collector's thread, they only had sizes 6 and 11 left in Philadelphia. I purchased an 11 and had it resized to a 9 1/2 by my local jeweler (Armando Rey in the Italian Market) the following day. It sits perfectly. I love it.
A blogger in NYC writes about the Radio City Music Hall concert - and "the ring."

LEONARD COHEN - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL

We went to see Leonard Cohen (again) last night. I might go (again) tonight. I didn’t cry as much as I did at the Beacon Show. I knew what to expect this time. Perfection. My God I love that man. I even bought the sterling silver signet ring at the merchandise booth. I had to have it. You understand…

The faux Cartier box makes me giggle.

Pictures here:

http://renovationtherapyblog.com/?p=4633
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Hi Beautiful Losers!

Well it’s been more than 15 years since Leonard performed in my home town of Philadelphia, PA. So May 12, 2009 was certainly viewed by me as a special date! And Leonard and his band did not disappoint! The show was held at Philadelphia’s Academy of Music. For those of you who have not been inside of the Academy, it is Philadelphia’s Holy of Holy’s! It is where Queen Elizabeth was greeted by Philadelphia’s Main Line Society last year when the Royals visited America’s first Capital City!

On May 12, Philadelphia’s high society turned out again for a Royal Show by Rock N Roll’s Royalty! In the audience was a veritable who’s who of Philadelphia glitterazzi! Singing along (they were handsome, they were strong and they knew the words of every Song!) in the audience were Comedian David Brenner, Warren Commission Super Lawyer, Richard Sprague, Philadelphia native Hal Wilner, politicians galore, along with honorary Philadelphian for the night, Esther Cohen! And did Esther look smashing in her silver glitter jacket! And don’t forget Cohen enthusiasts yours truly, wife Donna, daughter, April and Super Fans Dick and Linda Straub!

The Academy looked regal too—it is an L’Scala-esq opera house usually reserved for Ricardo Muti and the Philadelphia Orchestra. Cohen’s lead guitarist, Bob Metzger remarked after the show at its beauty. “It is truly an honor to perform in such a beautiful venue.”

Before the show, there was a special dinner at Chef Susanna Foo’s restaurant on Walnut Street with the Straub’s, Esther Cohen and the Gompers. Then a meet and greet at the Academy between Cohen band members. But let’s get to the beef!

Cohen entered the stage, or should I say skipped, to a standing ovation! It was the first of many that evening. He appeared energized that night in a special way! I’ve seem Leonard’s show this tour four times earlier this year, including stops in Saguenay, in Toronto, and twice in N.Y. Maybe I’m a home-towner, but Philly’s show was in my view, his best yet for several reasons!

First, the set list waxed nostalgic and included a number of earlier songs that had not previously been performed all in the same (at least in front of me). The set list was:

Dance Me To The End of Love
The Future
Ain’t No Cure For Love
Bird on a Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Chelsea Hotel
Who By Fire
Waiting For the Miracle
Anthem

Tower of Song
Suzanne
Sisters of Mercy
Take This Waltz
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I’m Your Man
1000 Kisses Deep
Democracy

So Long Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

I Tried To Leave You
Wither Thou Goest

Noteworthy was an earth-stopping rendition of Chelsea Hotel that brought down the house, as did Who By Fire, Sisters of Mercy, Suzanne, Famous Blue Raincoat and So Long Marianne.

A second reason that set this show apart was the audience. Philadelphians are a tough lot! Just attend an Eagles or Phillies game and you’ll see what I mean. But Philadelphians recognize talent. And the audience truly embraced Leonard and his band with an enthusiasm and knowledge of his music that was special!

Third, was the tightness of the performance! Leonard and his band just keep getting better and better each time I see them!

And finally, after the show, there was a special treat for me! Esther unexpectedly took us back stage to meet the band! Of course Leonard made his customary quick exit before we arrived! But we had the chance to rub elbows with his band of extraordinary musicians!

All in all, it was great, awesome, superb, and by the way—worth the 15 year wait!

Yours truly,
Geoff No Rey
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Dumbjaw

Post by Dumbjaw »

sturgess66 wrote:A blogger in NYC writes about the Radio City Music Hall concert - and "the ring."
Thanks! I just made the same comment on that blog, but I didn't get a box with my ring! Now I want one. Haha.
Tristan Williams

Post by Tristan Williams »

I have been a fan of Leonard Cohen for over 30 years and first saw him in concert in December 1979, in Birmingham, England and I still have the ticket stub and it has remained my favorite concert until the Philadelphia Experience. Now living in Florida, together with my 21 year old daughter, we made the trek to the Academy of Music and she got to enjoy what I've been espousing for years. What more can be said that hasn't already been written on these pages, about a creative genius, who,for generations alike, has remained a timeless gem? His Philly show, in the magnificent opera house, was simply ... wonderful. After 40 years, Leonard Cohen is still doing it and I have to admit, the tears welled in my eyes as I basked in his glory, thankful that my young daughter got to experience what I've loved, all these years. I felt so good that we had this opportunity to share the experience together. Leonard Cohen's World Tour has redefined an icon, who, by his own admission, is in the Third Act of his life ... Let's hope there's a Fourth? Thank-you Leonard for the joy you've brought us all.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Tristan,

How wonderful that you were able to share this phenomenal experience with your daughter. I hope she now 'gets it'! I always love reading the posts where someone is exposing LC's craftmanship through his concert to another person. Welcome to the forum and thank you for your post!

Best regards,
Mary
Last edited by MaryB on Fri May 29, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dick

Post by dick »

From Magnet – Alterative music magazine

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/05/2 ... y-13-2009/

From The Desk Of John Wesley Harding: Leonard Cohen At The Academy Of Music, Philadelphia, PA, May 13, 2009 May 24, 2009

John Wesley Harding: Leonard Cohen is a 75-year-old man at the top of his game. My previous “favorite concert of all time” was his show at The Royal Albert Hall in 1993 on The Future tour. And this was better. He certainly sang better. So I think I may have just seen my favorite-ever gig. Steering clear of 2004’s Dear Heather and with only a few glances at 2001’s Ten New Songs (the two albums he’s released in the last 17 years), Cohen, without a hint of nostalgia and with infinite grace, not to mention surprising vocal and physical agility, entertained us for three short hours with the very greatest of his greatest songs. The band was simply phenomenal—in the ’70s, they’d all have had beards and been called The Quiet Storm—fleshing out the programmed Euro-austerity of the studio records into living, breathing organisms. “I call to you, I call to you,” Cohen sings on “Ain’t No Cure For Love,” “but I don’t call soft enough.” The sound embodies his lyrical vision.

The concert was sublime and profoundly moving, from the moment Cohen bounded onstage, through the humility with which he doffed his hat to every soloist, to the final moment he thanked everyone—and I mean everyone (and I mean by name, including the woman who looked after that hat)—after the valedictory hymn. So often he kneeled on the floor, as if in supplication; for Cohen, his songs are prayers. And the concert was, for its audience, a religious experience. All eyes are on Cohen, but his are beyond. Every performer of a similar vintage should be required to see these concerts as part of a compulsory refresher course, to hear the singer wring ever last drip of meaning from each word as though (literally) his life depended on it. The gentle humor, which has always held his work together (but which was ignored during the dull years, when his name unfairly became synonymous with the depressed bedsit singer/songwriter) is here, too, in his delivery and the show’s art direction. And in every line: a thought, a feeling, perhaps a change of content (”Give me crack and careless sex,” he now sings on “The Future,” replacing “anal” with “careless,” thoughtfully reconsidering a crisis).

Will I ever see Leonard Cohen again? I hope so. I wonder. His show is truly redemptive and leaves you feeling better and more generous. Even if you have been sitting behind the only person in this beautiful venue who is singing along and pumping his fists. It is by no means the smallest wonder of the night that I bore him no ill will. I had much better things to do. Watch a video of “The Future” from this year’s Coachella after the jump.

I sent the above to Geoff Gompers, with the question – was that you singing along and pumping your fists? He immediately responded: “that was me!”

Dick
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

All right!

From "hopkingeorge" on YouTube -

First We Take Manhattan

- and we have skipping included! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seKODuKtEbE

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”