CONCERT REPORT: Phoenix, April 5

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
ladydi

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Phoenix, April 5

Post by ladydi »

mnkyface wrote:I love everything about this thread! :D Leonard holding the monkey is pretty much the best pic ever. I'm inspired to bring him something next week...
Hey mnkyface,

Let's hear your story! It's always nice to know that there are others as obsessed as the rest of us! :D

Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Mary,

I have to say that your write-up of the Phoenix concert is quite awesome! In fact, MORE than awesome! I felt like I was back in the theatre for every precious moment. It was wonderful sharing the evening with you and George....and the monkey ;-) . You did everything perfectly! As we were walking down the stairs and I saw where our seats would be, I think I said "if this was 40 years ago and I was going to a rock concert I would be passing out right now!". Well, I almost did. It was sheer perfection to be able to see every nuance...every facial movement...every interaction between Leonard and members of the band. You explained it so beautifully in your post!

I didn't think any evening could surpass the Beacon, but maybe in a way this one did! I'm sure our seats had much to do with it, and am looking forward to hearing from LC's management as to our placement in future concerts! It doesn't have to be all of them, but I think we could handle most! I AM certainly available for Detroit...front row center! I'll be on my feet the entire time!!!!

Thanks for the memories!
Diana
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

evewaldman wrote:YA-HOOOOOO!!!!! Diana! You DID it! :D The photos are great! I love the one with Sharon smiling also. The whole photo captures a moment and that moment shines through the computer screen. It gave me a thrill when I saw it -- like I went to the concert in your LC tote bag -- at least for a moment. I like the intimate, soul-singing Leonard in blue also. Nice photo.
So, thank you, thank you, thank you :D :D :D
And MaryB? I repeat myself. You are sooooooooo clever. ;-) :)

My best,
Eve
Thanks Eve so much!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the posts and pix! Really wish you could have been there too as you would have only added to the fun! Mary is truly so inventive....what fun it was with the monkey and seeing the response on stage! :D

All the best,
Diana
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

etio wrote: Question: I bought and lost a tee shirt at the concert. Are those items for sale elsewhere? I did call the Dodge Theatre lost & found but it was not returned.

Hi etio,

So sorry to hear about your lost tshirt :cry: . They do sell basically the same tshirts at other concerts. In the event that you will not be attending another :cry: , there is still hope that the merchandise store will open in the future on this website and you will be able to purchase one. I just think that with so much going on with this tour, the moderators have had absolutely no time to concentrate on this store and the opening has been delayed. Have patience.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

mirka wrote:
MaryB wrote: The rose part (artificial - where do you get a real one in an unfamiliar city?)
I got my rose bouquet at Costco in Halifax, and carefully took it with me to Charlottetown (it looked quite impressive in the middle of very early spring there).
Hi Mirka,

There was always the chance I wouldn't find anything in our short time in Phoenix and I saw nothing on the way in from the airport to our within walking distance to the venue motel so I guess the artificial had to suffice :cry: .

If I remember correctly, did not LC thank you personally in Charlottetown for your rose bouquet? What a fantastic moment that must have been for you!

And now, mnkyface has a story you know about? Do tell mnkyface - pleeeeeeeease.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I just wanted to thank all of you - Diana (especially), Bill's Bar(for your appreciation), Eve (soooo glad Mike is allowing you computer time to post), Mirka (who started it all with her rose bouquet), Irish Mar (I see we were at a couple of the same shows. Did you go to Janet's Bar after the RAH?) and mnkyface (still waiting for your story) for all your support and kind words. I would love to be surrounded by such a great group of enthusiastic fans at an LC concert! What a time we would have as I'm sitting in my front row center seat, which all you guys are going to arrange with LC's management, right ? :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: surrounded by all of you! LC wouldn't know what to do with himself as he was bombarded with chocolates, roses, tea, oranges, violins, and monkeys!

Warmest regards to all!
Mary
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Diana,

I'm really glad you posted your pictures. Any chance you'll put the rest of them on? My favorite is the same one Eve likes, the one you said is a little dark. It just make the shadows pop and gives his face so much character.

Warmest regards,
Mary
zenon5

Post by zenon5 »

What a lovely night in Phoenix. Moved to tears, filled with longing, shaking with laughter... It was such a wonderful experience. My wife and I were wondering if perhaps we'd gone a bit 'round the bend flying down from Portland, but it was just the right thing to do. Here are a couple of photos that I got:
Attachments
securedownload-3.jpeg
securedownload-3.jpeg (40.54 KiB) Viewed 10330 times
securedownload-2.jpeg
securedownload-2.jpeg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 10327 times
securedownload-1.jpeg
securedownload-1.jpeg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Hi Zenon,

Your pictures are wonderful! Thank you! These are such close shots, were you perhaps the great couple sitting right behind us, who will be going to a Ca. show with your daughter?

Best regards,
Mary
zenon5

Post by zenon5 »

Yup, that's us!
Actually, I get to take our son to the Monday night Oakland show; it's his 21st birthday that night and we'll be in the front row. Sarah and I will be going to see him in Seattle and at Radio City Music Hall. We've waited for many years for this opportunity and decided that we'd celebrate our 25th anniversary year by seeing as much of Lenny as possible. Here are a couple more shots:
Attachments
securedownload-6.jpeg
securedownload-6.jpeg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
securedownload-5.jpeg
securedownload-5.jpeg (51.11 KiB) Viewed 10314 times
securedownload-4.jpeg
securedownload-4.jpeg (51.76 KiB) Viewed 10312 times
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Zenon these pics are wonderful!

As for the funny story from Oakland- I went to the box office yesterday to try to pick up my will-call tickets early (knowing full well that it wasn't allowed but having heard of a few people getting lucky depending on who was on duty). They wouldn't give me my tickets but I had fun anyway- took some pics of the marquee, scoped out transportation options, and talked with the ticket ladies for some time. One of them was very nice and said that "you Leonard fans are INTENSE" and told me about a guy who was coming by every day for about a week, when the good seats were being released day by day, he was buying a ticket every day trying to get as close as possible. She said he probably bought at least 12 tickets for himself, all ORCH or PIT. He bought something like ORCH F one day, then checked again and bought B. A the next day, PIT the day after that,, etc, etc. She said she was sure he was not a scalper either, just a BIG fan, with a lot of disposable income. :lol: :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by friscogrl »

Hi Diana and mary B, FYI, the Monkey has posted his picture and it is from San Diego. It is in this section on a thread titled The Monkey and the plywood violin, he looks very pleased with himself!

Marsha
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

The monkey's lookin good. I hope he can stand the pace and make it to Canada and then across the Atlantic to Dublin. :D :D
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

GEEEEEEZ-OH-PEEEEETE, You 2... Mary 8) and Diana 8) ~ :D :D :D :D :D !!!

I'm Awestruck Happy for you and the splendidly best use you made of your front row seats 8) :D 8) :lol: .
I am SO happy you WENT!!

For the great photography of the Great Event ~ Thank You :D I agree on Sharon's smile, too... and Leonard :lol: ~ just hanging on to that monkey. What an unexpected prop to bring the band a southern breeze of fresh air :D .

Your photos are wonderful, too, Zenon5. Cool to find out that you folks had already spoken at the concert and get to meet up here again with your words and photos. I love that this is how you're choosing to spend your 25th anniversary and your son's birthday. Great family :D .

Yes, from me, too, Monkeyface... looking forward to reading your own account.

~ Lizzy

P.S. Trying to catch up is a bear ;-) .
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
evewaldman

Post by evewaldman »

Zenon5 -- I love your photos too, ESPECIALLY the first close-up one. What a fantastic photo! :razz: I also love the way two people take photos at almost the same spot at the same concert, and the photos are entirely different. Each perception is unique. How cool that all of you met and are now meeting again on the forum!

Happy 25th anniversary year! :)

Now to check out the monkey thread. Thanks Marsha!

All my best,
Eve

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”