Poem for Geoffrey

This is for your own works!!!
Manna

Re: Poem for Geoffrey

Post by Manna »

Are you the same Geoffrey who sometimes posts in the news group? If ye are thee, and if thee are he, then please count me in the Geoffrey love fest.

<3
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Manna wrote:
>Are you the same Geoffrey who sometimes posts in the news group? If ye are thee, and if thee are he, then please count me in the Geoffrey love fest.
><3

Hello Manna. Is it a coincidence that lots of ladies are being nice to me while the men pass me by? Why is there such an abundance of caring from the fairer sex while the male species are totally lacking empathy, compassion, sympathy, warmth, etc., etc.? Yes, I use the name 'Snow' in the newsgroup. As we are talking about the newsgroup and females, I wonder if you would allow me to write about something that is connected to this. There is no need to reply if you don't want - I am sort of thinking out loud. You know that since Michael started using the call-name of 'Sideways Sue' he has become a much nicer person. It allows him to nurture his feminine side. I believe he (subconsciously perhaps) wanted to do something with his obnoxious character and stumbled upon the idea of having a woman's identity. As 'Michael' he could never have managed to act in a socially acceptable manner - I have been acquainted with him for years. A gentleman on the newsgroup (called Jack Lazariuk) once gave Michael the most perfect description; it astounded me that anyone could nail something down with such precision. He said: "Michael is a snake, but he's OUR snake!" That said it all. Michael's modus operandus is to latch onto a particular thing and totally exhaust it, for everything it's worth. At the moment it is ironing. Earlier it has been mince pies, tuxedo - well I can't remember them all. Anyway, his psychological profile is such that he cannot stand who he is, although he has not yet reached a level where he could openly admit that. I quite like him, because I know him. One can like anyone, as awful as they are, just as long as one understands how they work. I don't understand Hitler, nor Charles Manson - and I doubt that I ever could. Sometimes I wonder about that line in Leonard's song when he mentions Manson. I wonder if he's praising or criticising him - it could be taken either way. And 'Charlie' is an endearing way of saying Charles. One thing is for sure, and that is that Leonard doesn't like bad poetry - and neither does Michael. Nor me, but I don't dislike it pathologically like Leonard and Michael. In two songs Leonard has mentioned this. In one he sings "Lousy little poets trying to sound like Charlie Manson" and in another "and other kinds of boredom advertised as poetry". Leonard would not condone what Manson did, not in a thousand years - and neither would anyone - but can we, or should we, separate art from the artist? A poem should be judged by its substance, not by its signature. I have to stop otherwise I'm going to go on forever. Sorry. :-(
John K.

You Knew I Was A Snake

Post by John K. »

When Mr. Cohen sang, "you know who I am" I doubt that he was talking about a snake.

Nothing has yet explained why, on at least three occasions, "Sideways" signed posts as "Geoffrey". Two were captured by me in screen shots.

All of this reminds me of an old fable, I found this nice retelling. Have a delightful day.

Once upon a time, a young girl was walking towards the steps leading up to a bridge that crossed a wide river. A poisonous snake was coiled next to the steps. Upon seeing the girl, the snake asked: "Please, I need your help. I need to cross the river, but I can't climb the steps and make it across the bridge. Can you please pick me up and carry me?"

The girl replies: "You're a poisonous snake! If I pick you up and carry you, you'll bite me!"

The snake pleads: "I promise I won't do that. Please. Help me."

The girl spends some time talking with the snake, and listens to the snake's sad story about how he is so misunderstood. He's a snake, but he's not a bad snake. All the other snakes give people the wrong impression. He would never harm the girl.

The girl finally makes a decision. She trusts the snake, believes what he says, and gently picks him up and carries him up the steps and across the bridge. Upon reaching the other side of the river, the snake, nestled safely against the girl's chest, promptly bites her, spewing toxic venom into her body.

The girl cries out: "You promised me that you wouldn't hurt me! Why? Why?"

The snake, as he slithers away, grins as he answers: "You knew what I was when you picked me up. "
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
Sideways

Post by Sideways »

Geoffrey wrote:
Hello Manna. Is it a coincidence that lots of ladies are being nice to me while the men pass me by? (

Michael is a dear friend of mine but is losing patience with me passing on posts to him from this Forum. As he brilliantly explained "bloody hell, Sue. What's the point of me leaving if you keep reporting the play there " But I was so struck by Geoffrey's plea that I wanted to know Michael's view.

Michael told me that he wrote a substantial message of sympathy and condolence to Geoffrey as soon as he heard of the bereavement, a number of weeks ago now, maybe months.He can't remember the precise time. He thinks it is absolutely fine that Geoffrey did not reply or even acknowledge the email but he also thinks it makes Geoffrey's credibility on the "gender shtick" a wee bit suspect.

Is it a coincidence that Geoffrey fibbed about men passing him by in the same post as he recited some waffle about Michael.

Michael also tells me that there is an old legal maxim which roughly translated means "if you have to quote Jack Laziruk in argument, then change sides immediately".

He once again sends his regards to Geoffrey, (actually he told me "send my love to the old bugger", and described Geoffrey as "a great chap, flawed but fun"

Finally, Michael has asked me not to pass on any more Forum material at all. He wants no connection with this place until 2010 as he explained when he left.

Now I intend mainly to concentrate on my Ironing networks.

Love

Sue
yeah, well, errrrm, hum, yeah, ok, I dunno, articulation is not my fing, who cares, SHUT IT YOU MUPPET, blah blah blah
Violet

Post by Violet »

Dear Mr. Sideways,

Please come back to us in your... well, other form... A lot of us have been missing you, I mean as that (hard to characterize what that is, of course), and what Geoffrey may not understand is that,* well, I for one need someone capable of convincingly portraying evil so that my romantic threads might have that vital element of conflict, which is sorely missing right now... Also, there aren't a lot of lords here -- none actually, methinks... and I feel I need such high ranking noblemen as well so to help set the stage for... well, for such epic... and romantic... and period.. blah blah bah... (please don't make me have to go on here, it's eating up vital brain cells that could be being used instead for... well, for fabricating some really nasty conflict scenarios)...

Okay, I'll leave things at that for the present,

resigned to never being yours (but still hopeful of your return),

Princess Violet

* I feel the need to add here that Geoffrey may not be altogether accurate in his characterizing Sue as the benevolent (scorchless) ironer... I mean, I do have the impression s/he may have singed quite a few "threads" in and amid these premises of late... so... why not melt down that ironic iron of yours into plowshares, Mr. Sideways... no, make that a nice sharp rapier... it's more to the point, and well...
there's nothing quite like a nobleman with a way with words wielding a... what was I saying?... v.

as to edits:... geez... I really wasn't finished writing this when I posted it... v.
Last edited by Violet on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Violet
Cate

Post by Cate »

psss. Princess V - Didn't he say June?... I think we might have to have try outs if it's 2010, I've got nobody to follow around an pester ...
Violet

Post by Violet »

... where's Mr. Sirus?...
Violet
Cate

Post by Cate »

Naaa i had a bit of a cybercrush on the other one. I'll just follow Manna around instead, I have a bit of an innocent crush on her as well.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Geoffrey wrote:
One thing is for sure, and that is that Leonard doesn't like bad poetry - and neither does Michael.
Caramba! Mickey has been placed in very illustrious company. I would not doubt that Leonard dislikes bad poetry, but if his public behaviour is anything to judge by, Leonard exhibits a good deal of humility, and a lack of meanness, even when critical. Maybe those characteristics have developed as L. has aged... ? Maybe Mickey will behave in a kinder, gentler way as he racks up a few more years... ?

Regarding Jack Lazariuk, Geoffrey I venture to say that the 'ladies' on this Forum are very nice to Jack also. Perhaps we (there's that 'we' again!) feel safe with him; he calls a spade a spade, and he can be playful, but he's kind as well as smart, which is a lovely thing in a (hu)man.

Anyone care to comment?
Last edited by imaginary friend on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hey, I just came home and sat down with a capuccino. Didn't anticipate that my earlier message, mere spontaneous thoughts, would incite these responses. I always try to shyly drive clear of controversy, keep a low profile - because creating waves and being in the 'spotlight' is not conducive to my personality. Well, never mind - what's done is done. I don't remember receiving a condolence message from Michael. Was it private or public? That was a very nice thing to do, and I would enjoy reading it if it exists anywhere. Who told of my situation? It is only recently that I have been able to mention it, I believe. Now I even want to share what happened, but not at the expense of burdening anyone. 'Joy shared is joy doubled, sorrow shared is sorrow halved', as they say. There was a lot of turmoil, and I wasn't in a fit state to register what was happening around me, so I apologise if I neglected to reply to such an important message.
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

Mmmmm, cappucino.

There's a Sicilian proverb from the old Arab days that goes something like this :

Quannu Maomettu 'unn va nta' muntana, a muntana vada a Maomettu (when Muhammad doesn't go to the mountain, the mountain goes to Muhammad.)

If you aren't looking for something you need to learn, chances are it'll find you anyway.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
Cate

Post by Cate »

There's a common misconception about snakes and that's, that snakes are slimey.
It's not true at all, the fact is they feel quite nice to touch. If you stroke them the right way they're soft and smooth to the touch, go in the wrong direction though and their scales feels a bit rough. There's something nice about how they like to wrap themselves round your arm as if you were a tree, it's fun to pretend to be a tree. Of course you have your poisonous ones, but they hate to waste their venom and usually do their best to get you to back off before striking, unless of course you look tasty and they want to eat you up.
Cate

Post by Cate »

imaginary friend wrote:
Regarding Jack Lazariuk, Geoffrey I venture to say that the 'ladies' on this Forum are very nice to Jack also. Perhaps we (there's that 'we' again!) feel safe with him; he calls a spade a spade, and he can be playful, but he's kind as well as smart, which is a lovely thing in a man.

Anyone care to comment?
It's funny that you mentioned Jack I was just thinking of him, I was watching the O2 concert on t.v. and remembering how happy I was to be sitting between Jack and my friend that night. I think Violet once compared the forum to Oz, if it were my Oz, Jack would be the Scarecrow.
I had to back track to figure out how Jack got involved in this - seems to me he's been pretty quiet lately, as has Greg for that matter, I miss both of their contributions here.
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Phew! Thanks Cate, for stepping up to the plate (fearlessly, as usual).
Cate wrote:
I think Violet once compared the forum to Oz, if it were my Oz, Jack would be the Scarecrow.
This from Wikipedia, describing W of O* plot:
...The Scarecrow, not having a brain, is supposedly not able to advise (Dorothy) on which way she should go (though later on, it becomes obvious that he is the most quick-thinking of the four travelers)...

(I think Jack would approve 8) )

* Whenever abbreviations like this surface, I'm reminded of John Irving's A Son of the Circus, where the obnoxious film producer refers to his ex-wife as "The C. of M.' (the 'M' stood for Misery...)
Cate

Post by Cate »

Ohh I love Son of the Circus, excellent book!!!

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”