Summer tour: speculations (several threads merged)

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Summer tour: speculations (several threads merged)

Post by jarkko »

The itinerary is not final yet, and concerts will be confirmed and added, one by one, when all details have been fixed.
I guess we will know the whole schedule before the end of April.
If Godalming (or whatever) gets removed from the tentative schedule, then the only one in Great Britain is Liverpool
(again: I'm using the first list - we don't have the complete list yet; maybe something will be added)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Jarkko,

Makes me wonder what happened to good old-fashioned properly-announced tours! I can understand shows being added if there is unexpected demand, but I'd have thought that any Leonard concert is a guaranteed sell-out, right now. This tendency of promoters to make seemingly random announcements of shows, makes it very difficult for people who have to book travel, hotels, budget their money etc. It also adds the complication of having to re-sell tickets, if a more appropriate venues are announced. It would make things easier if the promoters would announce all of the proposed towns/cities of shows, saying "not yet confirmed".

All the best, John E
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

John Etherington wrote:Hi Jarkko,

Makes me wonder what happened to good old-fashioned properly-announced tours! I can understand shows being added if there is unexpected demand, but I'd have thought that any Leonard concert is a guaranteed sell-out, right now. This tendency of promoters to make seemingly random announcements of shows, makes it very difficult for people who have to book travel, hotels, budget their money etc. It also adds the complication of having to re-sell tickets, if a more appropriate venues are announced. It would make things easier if the promoters would announce all of the proposed towns/cities of shows, saying "not yet confirmed".

All the best, John E
For once in my life, I feel sorry for AEG. My understanding is that they were planning to do exactly what they have done with all the previous legs of the tour. One tour comes to a close - the big announcement is made about the next one. However, Jarkko was getting snowed under with requests like "is he playing here" and "is he playing there" and "how many concerts in the UK, Spain, Italy etc" etc and there was an enormous clamour on here for concerts to be announced as they are contracted for. So the promoters obliged and released the concerts confirmed to date.

You're right - it is much easier to plan when you know all the dates and can decide what you're going to. I booked tickets for the German shows because I am away for the second half of July and I thought it unlikely that Leonard would come back to the UK after Jarkko's warning not to expect anything given the number of shows we had last year then Liverpool turned up. They're really not going to issue a full provisional list because of what happened last year when dates were announced hrough August 08 which never took place.

I guess it's a case of you can't please all of the people all of the time!

Wendy
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
osmachar

Post by osmachar »

John Etherington wrote:Hi Jarkko,

All the best, John E
Exactly what I think.
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Yes, I would also like to agree with the comments made by John Etherington & Osmachar. We have booked a hotel in Dublin 'just in case' but there is a possibility we won't go if a venue nearer to home is announced. The same applies to purchasing tickets, we would buy & then sell if we were able to go to a nearer venue.
I guess this applies to many people but it does make it extremely difficult to budget, etc.

J
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Well, you can't get both - a complete list and early announcement. The alternatives are:
a) delay the announcement until May when all gigs are nailed (although some venues put the tickets on sale without waiting the announcements, like Eventim), with no time for presale
b) put them up. one by one, as soon as the gigs are finalized, with a short presale before the general sale

Now AEG is doing this in the b)-way. If people really want, I can keep the rest of the dates secret until every single one is clear, and make the list public in May. If so, most concerts are probably sold out locally when our list is posted...

AEG does not want to make tentative dates public - if they would, I can imagine how many complaints were coming if and when some cities are removed and replaced by some others, in other countries.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

I'm quite happy that the dates aren't announced widely straight away, gives us here a chance to get some presale tickets or whatever and that to me is a very good thing! Thank you Jarkko for keeping us so informed and well done on the early entry for the US fans its such a nice gesture!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

For what it's worth, I would rather know about shows as they are confirmed, make my decision on a show by show basis then take advantage of any pre-sales if available. At least we have an idea of how the summer is shaping up, if not the full story .... yet!

Wendy
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

Jarkko

I didn't intend to sound ungrateful for everything you've done & the information relayed to us via this website. Apologies if it sounded like that.
Its just difficult to organise over a busy summer period.
Please DO carry on the good work

J
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
david.

Post by david. »

several spanish forums and websites are talking about a Leonard Cohen gig in Palma de Mallorca on August 11 and someone also added the event to last.fm

any truth to that?

and i'm also all for dates being posted as they're confirmed and getting pre-sales, nevermind if some people get impatient sometimes, you're doing a great job jarkko!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Jarkko,

Obviously we want to hear the news as you're allowed to release it! It's just that (if my memory serves me well) tours used to be announced as a total entity. I can't imagine that Leonard's promoters don't have some sort of game plan for the whole tour, so whY don't they just announce it (stating "unconfirmed" where appropriate)?

The only real UK surprises in the past, were in in 1976 when Leonard played the Royal Albert Hall in May, then a further three UK shows in July were announced; and in 1993, when one Albert Hall show was announced then a second, then third show were added.

All best wishes, John E
dharma

Post by dharma »

this is the way to announce a tour 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOrG1r3S6ZA
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
paddieu

Post by paddieu »

I really sympathise with Jarrko - much as we might need to know dates for planning etc, it's either he tells us nothing until they are all ready, and some are already sold out, or he has to react each time a venue steps out of line and goes ahead with an announcement, in order to help us.

I would imagine years back in the days before Internet, venues did announce - especially abroad for example - but we were not only unaware of this localised info, but we were not even thinking about travelling far to them.

As to the clue-dropping, which is a kind man's response to the intense pressure we all are putting on him - well you have to make up your minds what you really want from him - no info or occasional clues !
bean

Post by bean »

Any chance of a London date or is Liverpool likely to be the only date in England?
evie

Post by evie »

Hi Jarkko,

I think you do a fantastic job and I'm constantly watching and waiting for another concert in to be announced in Southern England.....Fingers crossed. Thanks for all your work.

Eve
I heard of a man who says words so beautifully that if he only speaks their name women give themselves to him.

Manchester 1972; London O2 2008; Bournemouth 2008; Manchester 2008; Dublin 2012; Bournemouth 2013; Brighton 2013

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”