Special Leonard Cohen 7'' single for Record Store Day

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Yaanon

Special Leonard Cohen 7'' single for Record Store Day

Post by Yaanon »

Hello all,

I didn't see anything on the forum about this, so I thought I'd bring it up. Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere.

April 18th has been dubbed "Record Store Day" for the US and UK, with all sorts of special promotions and bruhaha being planned. On Record Store Day's Twitter account ( http://twitter.com/recordstoreday ), there is an update that reads:

"Bruce Springsteen, Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen are all releasing #RSD09 exclusive 7" singles."

Does anyone have any information on this single? I'm assuming it would be from the Live in London album, but one can never be sure!
Montreal June 25th 2008| Coachella April 17th 2009| Las Vegas November 12th 2009
Yaanon

Re: Special Leonard Cohen 7'' single for Record Store Day?

Post by Yaanon »

I got a response to my question on Twitter:

"Most items are limited editions and may not be available everywhere. Contact your fave store for details"

Not very helpful. :razz:
Montreal June 25th 2008| Coachella April 17th 2009| Las Vegas November 12th 2009
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Just checked with a local NJ record store and have had it confirmed the single is coming out and will be from the new live album. Tracks will be Suzanne and The Future and WILL ONLY BE SOLD ON SATURDAY APRIL 18TH IN STORE ONLY!!! They full expect to sell them all out within the first hour the store is open but if by chance some do stay on the shelves they will then be offered for sale on the net later. They do have it listed on there website along with pictures of it. To view all the special releases for RSD 2009 follow the link then scroll down to see the Cohen release.

http://www.vvinyl.com/record_store_day/

To find your local participating stores go to the offical record store day website and click on the button labled participating stores:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Hope this helps everyone. Be sure to try to get a copy, sure to be an instant collectors item!!
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Will this be a US only release? In the UK we have record shops but they have adopted the record store day - at least mine did last year.
mwaldman

Post by mwaldman »

UrPal wrote:Will this be a US only release? In the UK we have record shops but they have adopted the record store day - at least mine did last year.
Click on the following link for a list of participating stores in the UK:
http://www.recordstoreday.com/UnitedKingdom

Don't know if the LC record will be available at all stores. Suggest you find participating stores on list that are close to you and call to see if the LC record will be available.

Mike
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
~ G.K. Chesterton
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Thanks Mike. Will call ahead.
confetti

Post by confetti »

when I saw this i was trying to think where there was an independent store in northern ireland, couldn't think of any near me, after looking at that list, there is only 1. I am sure there are more that are not taking part but isn't it terrible that big stores have killed the independents? Apart from the jobs that have been lost, i find it hard to feel sorry for stores like Zavvi.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

The stores I've approached have told me that they will not know what's coming in for Record Store Day until nearer the time. It sounds as if stuff is being allocated on a fairly random basis so it could be pot luck whether the Leonard single comes to a store near you unless it is a particularly large independent retailer (are there any of those left anywhere??)

Wendy
James T

Post by James T »

There definitely needs to be a better way to get hold out this. I can't find anywhere getting it in stock and it's hugely frustrating.
abulafia

Post by abulafia »

It seems that in Germany none of the participating record stores will get the Leonard Cohen 7'' :cry: If anyone has any information about getting one by mail from anywhere else, it would be highly appreciated!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

According to the Record Store Day website, most of the "special" releases are US only. Boo Hoo.

W
r-r-ren

Post by r-r-ren »

Hi all-
Just to let you know, i walked into one of my local record stores today, and found that they were selling this 7" (along with a number of the other Record Store Day exclusives). Not sure why they were out early, but i was pleasantly surprised! Picked up the Cohen, Dylan, Tom Waits and Sonic Youth/Beck singles. This is in Toronto, so the exclusives are certainly not US only, though they may be North America only...
haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, but it is clear from the packaging that each song is taken from the Live in London release, and that The Future is an edited version of that piece. So, for those unable to track down the 7", you do not have to worry too much- the music is readily available on the London release.
ren
TheWrongMan

Post by TheWrongMan »

I just ordered a copy of the single from Village Records.
http://www.villagerecords.com/product_i ... ts_id=5551
1993:London RAH 2008:London O2 x 2, London RAH, Brighton 2009:Weybridge, Liverpool, Barcelona 2010: Lille 2012:Wembly 2013:London O2
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

hawaiiphil wrote:I just ordered a copy of the single from Village Records.
Many thanks for the link. All sorted!

Wendy

Return to “News”