"Leonard Cohen Live in London" > DVD & 2CD (April 2009)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
willietowers

Re: "Leonard Cohen Live in London" - DVD & 2CD - April 2009

Post by willietowers »

I agree with those who regret Famous Blue Raincoat and Partisan are not on the CD, the former must be one of the saddest songs ever written, and how many of us have been there? Still there are many others to savour......Manhatten was superb in Glasgow and it features. Willie, near Aberdeen, Scotland
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Willie

The Partisan was included in the NPR broadcast, as was Chelsea Hotel though not, sadly, FBR. It's well worth downloading the podcast if you haven't done so already.

Wendy
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Willie

The Partisan was included in the NPR broadcast, as was Chelsea Hotel though not, sadly, FBR. It's well worth downloading the podcast if you haven't done so already.

Wendy
I agree, i downloaded said NPR concert. The sound quality is excellent, and includes bits not on the new cd/dvd. Others have also mentioned that you can find mp3 'cutters' for free on the web, and this allows you to split the NPR concert into 'tracks', like a cd. ( Not as complicated as it sounds !). I will , of course, be purchasing the new cd + dvd at end of month. :D
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Am I right in thinking that buying from HMV or Play.com will count towards compiling the UK charts? I seem to remember from the Hallelujah Christmas pantomime that this was the case. I must admit I got a kick out of seeing LC in the charts and am kind of hoping it happens again with the DVD and CD pre-orders presumably being included in the first week's count, and would like to do my bit towards this end.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Nah! Let's keep Leonard to ourselves, or Ticketmaster will make it even more difficult to obtain concert tickets. Anyway, as I recall, Leonard reached number 2 in the UK album charts with "Songs from a Room", so he's been there, done that etc.

All good things, John E
drsing

Post by drsing »

Hi guys,

just found this clip of Hallelujah taken directly from the dvd. Watch it and listen to the amazing quality!

http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij/po ... lujah.aspx
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Boy! If this video is anything like the rest of the DVD - it's going to be a stunner!!!!!!

Thank you drsng!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
courage

Post by courage »

Do anyone know the best way for us in Sweden to order?
19xx - Göteborg
2008 - Got 12 Oct, Sto 15 Oct, CPH 17 Oct, Ham 31 Oct.
2009 - Cologne, Berlin,
2010 - Göteborg
2012 Copenhagen, Alborg, Göteborg
2013 Stockholm, Oslo - August
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

John Etherington wrote:Nah! Let's keep Leonard to ourselves, or Ticketmaster will make it even more difficult to obtain concert tickets. Anyway, as I recall, Leonard reached number 2 in the UK album charts with "Songs from a Room", so he's been there, done that etc.

All good things, John E
Okay John, I take your point.
Rather late in the day, due to technical issues (the simplicity of my brain) I have now posted a picture and the little
story of my daughter and myself when we met with Leonard the morning after the RAH concert on 18th Nov. It is posted under that thread.
Evie B
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Phantom Stranger

Post by Phantom Stranger »

wakeupmartin wrote:
hydriot wrote:Why is the DVD significantly cheaper than the CD? Surely the DVD has the same sound, of the same quality, but also has film of the great man?
I thought CDs had better quality (uncompressed) sound than DVDs, because most of the data on the DVD is used to store the images. Or am I wrong? Does anyone know what sort of quality sound we can expect from the DVD? is it like a 128bps MP3? That would do for me.
Martin
The cd will definitely have better sound quality than the dvd version. For those most interested in sound quality only, the cd is the way to go.
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

DVD audio is compressed in MPEG-2 format, while CD audio is relatively uncompressed. To get the DVD audio to sound good, use a high sample rate to record when you bounce it to an audio file. I'd suggest higher than 44.1 and 256Kbps. At the radio station where I work, we archive a three-hour talk show using audio DVD+R (its own protocol, long story,) and this is how we get the audio tracks off if we need to, in broadcast quality sound.

That's what got me into LC's work--the analog-to-digital know-how was SHARP!!!! Few people know that to record a lower vocal range, you should use reel-to-reel if possible and then mix it down digitally to avoid distortion and loss. It also helps retain warmth, which tends to be lost when doing straight digital recordings.
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
danslenoir

Post by danslenoir »

drsing wrote:Hi guys,

just found this clip of Hallelujah taken directly from the dvd. Watch it and listen to the amazing quality!

http://www.garagetv.be/video-galerij/po ... lujah.aspx
Ditto for Democracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoOTXEfUNo
drsing

Post by drsing »

danslenoir wrote:
Ditto for Democracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoOTXEfUNo
great, we almost got the entire CD already :lol: :lol:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
dharma

Post by dharma »

i hope i'm wrong here, but the dvd appears to be in 4:3 (1.33:1) aspect ratio instead of 16:9 widescreen - just about everybody i know has a widescreen tv these days, so shooting the video in 4:3 seems a big mistake to me :(
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I'm concerned it's so dark. Certainly at Manchester, I remember that during Hallelujah the stage was suddenly bathed in bright cream light, which was really effective. I thought they did this at the O2 too, but it looks like I am wrong.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988

Return to “News”