The promoter is scamming us

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
jonathon

Re: The promoter is scamming us

Post by jonathon »

Not withstanding the cash grab by LC using presales, VIP packages and Ticketmaster Marketplace, BE PATIENT! There will be tons of quality ticket releases as the shows near. There will be all of the typical ticket holds in addition to the many unsold Marketplace tickets. Just keep checking Ticketmaster (or whatever the primary ticketing agency is for the venue in your area at which LC is performing) on a regular basis and more so in the last few days prior to the show. The tickets will still cost $250 each plus service charges but you will be in the first few rows.

All the best.
liz13fwwm

Post by liz13fwwm »

Whether it's AEG Live or Ticketmaster who's scamming the general public, I'm going to file a complaint to the NYS Attorney General Office. NJ AG just recently filed suit for a Springsteen concert and I say we let NY know we're sick of it too. Here's the link to download a complaint notice: http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/cons ... laint.html
blue_94_trooper

Post by blue_94_trooper »

liz13fwwm wrote:Whether it's AEG Live or Ticketmaster who's scamming the general public, I'm going to file a complaint to the NYS Attorney General Office.
You might want to wait until after the general sale. There has been one presale so far for the NY show and, shocking!, some people got shut out.

I'm still not seeing the scam in all this.
liz13fwwm

Post by liz13fwwm »

blue_94_trooper wrote:
liz13fwwm wrote:Whether it's AEG Live or Ticketmaster who's scamming the general public, I'm going to file a complaint to the NYS Attorney General Office.
You might want to wait until after the general sale. There has been one presale so far for the NY show and, shocking!, some people got shut out.

I'm still not seeing the scam in all this.
Perhaps your right, this discussion is a bit premature. But if you look at how the Bruce Springsteen issue was resolved it was individual people contacting their Attorney General Office. These problems however are not new with Ticketmaster and how this industry is monitored. I also think this particular issue is still in the news cycle and would be best targeted while the coals are still hot. My thoughts until the remaining on-sales.
Reno

Post by Reno »

The problem here is not simply a legal one; instead, it is the jarring juxtaposition of the crass ploy of presales to generate additional revenue for a man who is a monk, poet, and cultural critic. Given how he was fleeced by his former manager, I understand his desire to earn some money right now, so I am willing to pony up the dollars on Cohen's behalf. To think that his concert is being hawked like a Hannah Montana concert, though . . . ? Ain't no legal recourse for rectifying this undermining of Cohen-as-ethicist. This transgression is a sad addendum to his brilliant legacy.
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

Who are you (made an exception, colombo, denalynn2001, reno)? Where are you from? You just invaded this forum today, pretending you’re looking for fairness in ticketmaster’s dirty business spewing nonsense and hatred. You are free to file a complain with NY Attorney General or US Attorney General or just appeal to Last Judgment using this pseudo-erudite language but stop talking crap and leave.
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
Reno

Post by Reno »

PanCogito wrote:Who are you (made an exception, colombo, denalynn2001, reno)? Where are you from? You just invaded this forum today, pretending you’re looking for fairness in ticketmaster’s dirty business spewing nonsense and hatred. You are free to file a complain with NY Attorney General or US Attorney General or just appeal to Last Judgment using this pseudo-erudite language but stop talking crap and leave.
Wow.
denalynn2001

Post by denalynn2001 »

Well, if "invading" means I came in and started talking, then I'm guilty. I've repeated several times that I harbor no ill will whatsoever towards LC himself, much to the contrary. I've not participated in the board previously because I'm active in the Rufus Wainwright forums, have other projects, and I only have so much time to devote to online communities.

If it was a closed board I assume I would have been stopped from joining, but here I am. :D My intention was at no point to "go after" LC, to use the language of another poster. My intention was to speak up about the fact that there appeared to be virtually no tickets left for the public onsale date in Chicago, with the intended result that if enough people seemed unhappy enough about that, they might add a date.

Nothing up my sleeve, as they say. And no ill will towards you, despite the hostility. I've seen this happen before when there's an influx of new people to a fan community, but I have no regrets for joining in the discussion and speaking my mind.

D
mirka

Re: Leonard Cohen IS the Promoter

Post by mirka »

colombo wrote: Obviously, Leonard's contract with his promoter PERMITS this bullshit,
I'm not so sure who is responsible for this mess, as in Bruce Springsteen case it turned out it was done by TicketMaster without artist knowledge.
Maybe LC could take a stand as well ...?

mirka
--
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

Reno wrote:
PanCogito wrote:Who are you (made an exception, colombo, denalynn2001, reno)? Where are you from? You just invaded this forum today, pretending you’re looking for fairness in ticketmaster’s dirty business spewing nonsense and hatred. You are free to file a complain with NY Attorney General or US Attorney General or just appeal to Last Judgment using this pseudo-erudite language but stop talking crap and leave.
Wow.
Sham-wow.
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
a.ephroni

Post by a.ephroni »

You guys, come on. Jarkko has done a thorough job of explaining, all over the forum, what has been happening. Lots of scalpers, and Ticketmaster's own subsidiaries, buy up the seats or even price them before owning them, and make the big bucks. That's the whole reason for the presales with Will-call tickets. Which seems to have been working just fine for many folks (myself included)...The Radio City fan presale, incidentally, hasn't even happened yet! It's on March 7 (Saturday). So no wonder there aren't seats available except through the big-bucks scalpers...

I don't know for sure, but I have faith in Leonard Cohen's ethics. It is hard to figure out a way around a system that relies on a monopoly like Ticketmaster!

good luck getting tickets on March 7... peace...
whiteknux

Post by whiteknux »

"I've not participated in the board previously because I'm active in the Rufus Wainwright forums"

Oof. Rufus Wainwright. That's some shameful shit, McNulty. Loudon I could see. But Rufus? Repent immediately.
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

I have faith in Leonard Cohen's ethics. It is hard to figure out a way around a system that relies on a monopoly like Ticketmaster!
I agree. The whole point of the presale is not to stoke demand, it's to try to insure that dedicated fans don't get shut out of tickets by putting us at the front of the line. What is driving demand are 100 concerts that reviewers have called the best concerts they have ever seen. I don't think Leonard need apologize for this. Up until now, everyone here has done nothing but celebrate this. And long after these complainers move on to someone else, we'll still be here celebrating.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
mirka

Post by mirka »

I found another thread from the European leg of the tour, turns out the idea of selling worst tickets first was applied then as well:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=11839&p=130715#p130715

mirka
--
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

leonardmtl wrote:One more thing.

Since all of the posters have joined within the past two weeks, I encourage them to spend time understanding LC

They would quickly see they are not buying tickets to a hockey game.

In this world, there is no guarantee of a seat.

Leonard from Montreal......same name...same town......no Golden Voice
I've been watching these new posters for some weeks now and haven't said anything other than greeting some to the Forum. But now it's going too far. I am in total agreement with Leonard from Montreal. We all were once new to the Forum; however, 100's have joined in just the past few weeks. This is wonderful but I sense that even though they attest to being fans for years, their only reason in joining is to snag a good seat at a presale. Most concerts have more than one presale prior to tickets being available to the general public and seats are held back in all price ranges so that it's still possible to obtain a great seat at the public sale. I am far from being a fan of Ticketmaster; however to attribute your inability to grab the perfect seat, or any seat, to some conspiracy or greed on the part of Leonard Cohen and his management is frankly bullshit (excuse the word but it was used in an earlier post)!

Jarkko gives us all the information we need to participate in a presale and patiently answers dozens of variations of the same question. Others on the Forum have given multiple suggestions to new posters on the best way to get seats. I am no one special but so far I've been able to obtain seats (and in a couple of instances GREAT seats) at all the concerts listed below and I do it the same way as everyone else.

All this whining is ridiculous. Be happy with whatever seats you get and as someone suggested bring binocs if they aren't the best. If you don't get a seat watch the thread for "buying and selling tickets", try a different venue, or hit the theatre on the day of the concert.

Having said all this, I wish everyone the best in getting tickets as a Leonard Cohen concert is worth travel time, jet lag, sleeplessness and whatever you are able to pay! He gives us more than we could ever give him.

All the best,
Diana

ps...I am not addressing any one poster in particular, but everyone in general who has only joined the Forum thinking they could have a one-up on seating.

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”