Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
da2008

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by da2008 »

Paul Zagreb wrote:... and do pay close attention to the 'Leonard is not expected to attend .. I decode this as "but you never know" ...
guys, i think as far as i'm concerned, it doesn't matter. i love meeting people whose music i admire, but really, saying that i saw Leonard live is good enough for me. i just don't believe i have anything substantial to offer. this man is too big for me, i think i have too much respect for what he does to bother him or question his motives. didn't think i'd be saying this about anybody, but here you go...
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

I so agree.... just to see Leonard live is humbling.
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

Well...

I tried to avoid the internet the past couple of days, since I was so wound up trying to get tixs the first time.

I was there 9:00am sharp, and there was nothing. But that's ok. I have a few other options. If those don't pan out, I truly wish all of you the best time of your life seeing LC in such an intimate venue.

If we can't get there for V-day, I'm hoping another concert will coincide with our honeymoon later this year.

As far as not respecting Leonard's work in the US, I winced a little to see that. I am a "younger fan," approaching my 30s. But I have been a fan of his work for 10 years. I was taken by the first time I heard his voice. I have bought everything he's put out since, and before. I would love to meet him, just to shake his hand and say thank you.

If I can't, I will find another way to say it. I don't expect more from an artist than what he has given. Some folks have said that he's only doing this for the money. Take mine. I don't have a lot, but, for what he's given, I'd gladly give some back. So I hope that a few ingrateful posts does not give anyone the impression that there are not any folks here who are not grateful.

Hoping to see you all there.

My best,
Mike
Last edited by RainDog1980 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

so sorry to hear you didn't get tickets, Mike... hpefully, there will be something released later...
Habie

Post by Habie »

Sassicaia, I'm sorry too; we were a bit censorious and it probably wasn't very pleasant for you. Sorry about that - as Paul says, we're not the Guardians of the Temple, just loving fans who get disgruntled when Leonard's particular qualities seem to be misrepresented. Anyway, glad that's all sorted. Enjoy the concert!

da2008, I agree about feeling ambivalence towards the possibility of meeting Leonard. We were discussing this with Caren and Hans at the London meet-up.
For me, meeting someone like Leonard for 2 seconds would be more emotionally frustrating than fulfilling... although I've heard he has a calming presence so just to observe him meeting and greeting people would be fun... but then again, I prefer to keep my fantasies intact. In dreams, Leonard and I are old friends, we share raucous jokes and light-hearted insights of an evening, over wine and cheese - usually on Hydra, about 30 years ago...

But that's just me, I never ask for autographs unless I know the person, it's probably a pretentious quirk. And it leaves me nothing for my retirement to sell on e-bay.
(Still it's better than what happened to my friend Simon... he was at Bob Dylan's first-ever UK concert, met him backstage, asked Dylan to sign his ticket, was later filmed by Pennebaker for Don't Look Now and collected many more Dylan/Baez autographs over the years... only to have his ex-wife burn the entire Dylan collection when they got divorced. Something about infidelity... oh well, one nest egg gone but perhaps Dylan would have approved. He certainly doesn't sign autographs these days).

As someone who won't be at the concert on Feb 19th, because I'm on the other side of the world, there's a credit crunch and anyway, it's AMERICA'S TURN, I hope those who are going will have a lovely time. I look forward to the reports, Anne's transcript of his comments between songs, and any other type of souvenir anyone later wishes to share with us ( :D ), either privately or collectively. It's been lively here lately, it'll be even more so on Feb 20th.

And let's not forget, there are more concerts to come, in the Big Apple and elsewhere. Hurrah for ageless poets, and for technology that allows cyber-communities to get all excited even if they are a bit Over the Top sometimes...
da2008

Post by da2008 »

Thank you for sharing your story, Habie! it's unbelievable to hear that somebody actually MET Bob Dylan :) but seriously, I was hoping to see Leonard once more this year and now I'm hoping to see him more than just once. These concerts are extremely special...
mrkessler

Post by mrkessler »

Ticketmaster now brings you to another site, http://ticketsnow.ticketmaster.com/Inve ... p=TM915162

TicketsNow, a Ticketmaster company. Tickets available from $330-$1,299.

I trust people on this forum won't make me regret sharing this ridiculous link.

Pretty disturbing.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Isn't this otherwise known as "Insider Trading"?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
vern.silver

Post by vern.silver »

I would like to address this notion that Leonard is not appreciated in Canada or the US as much as he is in Europe.

It is my belief that it was the media and those who promote/run the music industry in North America (Canada is Lumped in with US for much of this - yes, we have our own music industry, but until the recent future 10/15 years or so - Canadian artists had to breakthrough in US if they wanted achieve any real 'stardom') that has stood in the way of his 'success.' Those in the industry that live off of the talents of others likely didn't have the talent/ability to know what to do with someone like Leonard - and failed him though he is certainly making up for it now!!!!

So I will ask a pointed question to those fans here who were able to attend concerts back in the 'old days,' how many empty seats were there? Each time I saw him, it was sold out.

At least here in Canada, his music is on the radio often enough that someone like me who rarely listens to it, always seem to catch him or a cover of one of his songs. I rarely go to a place with a gathering of people where Leonard is completely unkown, and have found long time fans everywhere. I cannot speak about the US.

So, I am curious of what the experience of other North American fans have been.
"Clarence said a striking thing about rowing that I've always valued ... that he liked rowing because you were approaching life backward. You could clearly see the past, and you glanced quickly at the future over your shoulder.' Jim Harrison.
Actually

Post by Actually »

Habie wrote:(Still it's better than what happened to my friend Simon... he was at Bob Dylan's first-ever UK concert, met him backstage, asked Dylan to sign his ticket, was later filmed by Pennebaker for Don't Look Now and collected many more Dylan/Baez autographs over the years... only to have his ex-wife burn the entire Dylan collection when they got divorced. Something about infidelity... oh well, one nest egg gone but perhaps Dylan would have approved. He certainly doesn't sign autographs these days).
I've seen Don't Look Back a few times, so I'm curious, which one is your friend?
Habie

Post by Habie »

Hello Actually (great name, btw! nice pic too, but you already know that...),

My friend, Simon, was filmed at length by Pennebaker but sadly the footage was edited out in the cutting room. Albert Grossman had gone to a local cafe before the concert to ask a couple of young Dylan fans if they wanted to come and meet Bob after the concert, including Simon, a very serious and respectful adolescent, in his tweeds (!). He went backstage, chatted to Dylan, who was friendly and open (this was a LONG time ago), and they all had a great time. He said a later meeting with Baez was lovely too - she insisted on kissing his hand.

Since those days, I've only met one other Dylan fan who finally got to meet His Bobness, at a party, after following him around the world to concerts over 25 years. It was a relaxed atmosphere and he introduced himself politely while Dylan was alone at the buffet - but apparently, Dylan was rude in a sleazy way towards some young women and towards my friend. My friend was sad but it didn't change his love for the music, of course.

As for Leonard, from Henning's enraptured tales of Hydra 20 years ago, to all the other stories I've heard (and read) via this forum and elsewhere - he seems to be universally gracious and warm to anyone he meets even when accosted in the street.

It's not for me to judge how these different attitudes came about, and I'm sure Dylan has had to endure a lot from the 'madding crowd' over the years, probably more than Leonard has. But there certainly is a chasm between them, attitude-wise.

One of my favourite Cohen stories is the Cohen + Iggy Pop + the woman whose personal ad asked for a combination of both of them - I was about to tell it here when I Googled and saw it's already on this Forum in another thread : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11967.

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on. You only asked about Dylan. Oops.
mikeotb

Post by mikeotb »

Let it be known that the true New York and US fans appreciate the man, the beauty his words have given us, the spirit he brings out in us all through his music, and the fact that this 74 year old man will not cheat you when he performs. There is a reason why there are countless pages on this forum comparing his show on this tour to a religious experience. That is because Leonard Cohen cares about his fans, and that feeling is portrayed when he graces the stage. I am the lucky one. I saw Mr. Cohen at his Carnegie Hall show 24 years ago, and I'm honored to see him again at the Beacon. I know it will truly be a special night. God bless Leonard Cohen. :)
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/node/148450
Leonard Cohen has been touring Europe lately, but he has not played one single American show since 1993. That will change on February 19, when he'll step onstage at New York's Beacon Theatre.

This is basically the musical equivalent of discovering a tribe of lost dinosaurs still living in some Amazon basin. Or something. I haven't figured it out yet. But anyway, you should go to that show.
:razz:
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

YaY, Pitchforkmedia, for an apt and brilliant analogy!!! Thanks, Jarkko :D .

Mikeotb ~ So true, so true, so true. Thanks :D .

Every time I read things like this, I just get so excited all over again about February 19th.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
jeremek

Post by jeremek »

Hi ! After a long time I have to say. I write until now. So late. I was a long holiday. Everyone that went had got the message.
This message is a concert in New York for the fans. It hurts :(
I am happy that I have read the message too late. And so I can not be with you. Too far.
It is necessary to have the visa.
And what is "your" fifteen years ... ;-) ;-) ;-) - Fans of New York.

This is what I do. I envy you.
Do not think badly of me. This is a g o o d j e a l o u s y :D

All fans. You are close to me. Waiting for your memories...
I am greeting,

jeremek
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”