Special Concert in New York

USA and Canada (April 1 - June 4, 2009). Special concert for fans in NYC (February 19). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
barbarita

Re: Special Concert in New York

Post by barbarita »

I feel extremely fortunate, was able to get four tickets during the presale for myself, son, and two friends. I attended the June 23 concert in Montreal solo, and didn't expect to get this opportunity for myself and loved ones to see him together. It's all too wonderful.

I am wondering: I would like to try for one ticket at 9am Fri morning for a friend who will be working and unable to get to computer. But I'm hesitant to try; if the 4 ticket limit per person still applies I could jeopardize what I have. But when something like this opens to general public, is that considered separate from the pre-sale limit? I've got an all -points bulletin out to my son to see if he can do this....

Additionally amazing to know Leonard will be returning to NYC, so she will try for that if can't go with us.

I first saw Leonard at the Bottom Line here in early 70's, and Carnegie Hall and Felt Forum shows. Started listening to him when in HS, and here I am 40 years later still in love....

Here's another idea for a hotel in area if it hasn't been mentioned:http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-new_yor ... tel-Photos It's just a couple of blocks away, near Central Park, on a beautiful block.

I am often in the neighborhood of the Beacon Theater, have seen many crowds there for different shows, never been in there myself, it's been going through some sprucing up, I know it's a fantastic old place!

Barbarita, NYC.
jjm

Post by jjm »

To our sisters and brothers,
USA, NY and NYC fans of Leonard Cohen are as devoted and grateful as any in the world. We, too, have spent a lifetime with his work and are very grateful that at 74 he is able to perform so spectacularly. Hopefully, it is not demand but enthusiasm for the great opportunity to see Leonard perform again that inquiries are being made.
Please don't judge NY fans by non-understanding reviewers, nor by, perhaps, carelessly
worded posts. I would like to think that anyone in this forum respects the universality of Leonard Cohen's work and that no one group feels they "own" him or his fan base.
"First we take Manhattan then we take Berlin." Leonard's work took us many years ago, and we have been waiting for his return a long, long time. While it may be that unfortunate circumstances might have played a part in his making this world tour, it is a great joy and blessing to us all that this great effort is being made. It also has to be a blessing to Leonard to know how much he is appreciated and enjoyed around the world and that he has been graced with the stamina to perform so well.
Best wishes to all,
jjm/nyc
iris

Post by iris »

hear hear!!!
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
sassicaia

Post by sassicaia »

please remove
Last edited by sassicaia on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Sassicaia - I have no idea how much more you expect him to give. If you feel like that don't go and see him. End of problem.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
sassicaia

Post by sassicaia »

Please remove
Last edited by sassicaia on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

sassicaia wrote:
Paula wrote:Sassicaia - I have no idea how much more you expect him to give. If you feel like that don't go and see him. End of problem.
Show up at the reception and be willing to sign for his fans. That's all. :lol:
I don't want to sound patronising (though I probably will) ... trace back this forum 2 or 3 years .. you will begin to see, I think, how generous Leonard has been with everything. He is 74 and, believe me (as someone approaching 50!) I suspect his energy levels are not what they used to be ... so to deliver the kinds of performances which we've seen in the last year, he has to try to restrict the other stuff somewhat. There was one posting I think about the concert in Bucharest where Leonard wanted to meet his Romanian biographer and the tour management said he can have 15 minutes. The guy emerged 3 hours later and the management people said "You see why we try to stop this kind of thing". Either we will have a perpetual tour or we will get Leonard back who signs things ... I hope he decides and not us!

Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hello Sassicaia ~

You joined less than an hour ago to say all that??

Leonard is a deeply generous person, period.
As a performer, Leonard goes beyond the pale and beyond with his generousity.
Leonard expresses his generousity in infinite ways.
To know him is to love him.
The majority of us here do... and are grateful.
I'm sorry you don't... and aren't.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
da2008

Post by da2008 »

i think you guys are giving sassicaia too much attention / credit. he/she is better off ignored...

hopefully, someone was able to get tickets this motning. i tried and didn't have any luck.
sassicaia

Post by sassicaia »

I apologize if I upset anyone. I am a fan...but just didn't like the vibe of the press release. I have removed my posts, and regret deeply if I offended a fellow fan. Again...sorry and please move on.
Last edited by sassicaia on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Habie

Post by Habie »

I don't want to sound patronising (though I probably will) ... trace back this forum 2 or 3 years .. you will begin to see, I think, how generous Leonard has been with everything. He is 74 and, believe me (as someone approaching 50!) I suspect his energy levels are not what they used to be ... so to deliver the kinds of performances which we've seen in the last year, he has to try to restrict the other stuff somewhat. There was one posting I think about the concert in Bucharest where Leonard wanted to meet his Romanian biographer and the tour management said he can have 15 minutes. The guy emerged 3 hours later and the management people said "You see why we try to stop this kind of thing". Either we will have a perpetual tour or we will get Leonard back who signs things ... I hope he decides and not us!
Paul
Thanks for that, Paul. Not patronizing at all - exactly the kind of example that shows what we all know. Leonard is incapable of giving 'just a little' when he meets people, so he allows himself some rest time before and after concerts - hell, I'd hate to think of him doing anything else! He would simply drain away... If I had anything to do with the tour I'd make sure he had very soft cushions to rest on, and maybe some chicken soup. (Just kidding, Jewish clichés don't suit LC).

Sassicaia - you have missed the point! Whatever initially motivated this tour - money or anything else - it makes no difference at all to THE WAY LEONARD CHOOSES TO CONDUCT HIMSELF WHILE HE IS TOURING... which as we all know, has always been in a way that is truly exceptional.

If you love Leonard then you love poetry and subtlety, so you know that in life, just as there is no single 'explanation' of lyrics, there is never one single motive for anything we do! It doesn't take much imagination to guess that for Leonard, many mixed emotions must have accompanied the planning of this tour : fear of failure... stage fright... exhaustion at the mere thought of so much traveling and performing... exhilaration... yes, financial need for his future ... the persuasive skill of a good tour manager... the hope that we fans were still out there in sufficient numbers... the worry about the high prices needed to charge for the kind of music he wanted to provide .... the joy in singing again after many years of silence on the mountain...the pleasure in sharing... maybe a bit of sheer blind terror....

I wonder if you ever have to do anything as strenuous as touring in your life, and if so, whether you still will when you are 74 (singing for 2hrs and 40 minutes without needing to rest beforehand, but instead, going to receptions and signing your name on hundreds of bits of paper)?

Sassicaia, if you don't mind my saying so - you should try listening more carefully to Leonard.
mrkessler

Post by mrkessler »

Oh well, I tried. Thanks to jarkko for trying to help everyone as much as possible. If anyone winds up with extras, let me know.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Great anecdote, Paul.

Super insight, Habie.

I sincerely hope you get tickets, Mr. Kessler.
At least one.

I, for one, accept your apology, Sassicaia.
I hope you enjoy Leonard's [& Company's] show.
You will understand.
Leonard is a magnificent man and performer.
Generous to a fault.
Blessed be him.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

sassicaia wrote:I apologize if I upset anyone. I am a fan...but just didn't like the vibe of the press release. I have removed my posts, and regret deeply if I offended a fellow fan. Again...sorry and please move on.
I am always for 'moving on' especially these days .. and the apology is gracious ... listen, 'we' (whoever 'we' are!) can be a bit precious / holier than thou at times ... and I for one would hate these wonderful forum pages to become boring and anodyne ... you'll meet Jarkko at the reception which is almost as good :D ... and do pay close attention to the 'Leonard is not expected to attend .. I decode this as "but you never know" ...
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
da2008

Post by da2008 »

it's very nice to see Sassicaia retracting his/her comments. happens very rarely on the internet :)

to those of you who didn't get any tickets - they might be released on the day of the show. i got mine to one of the montreal gigs two weeks prior to the concert after it had been sold out for a while. just keep checking ticketmasters, try for singles (there's a higher chance of getting those at a venue that is assigned seating only) and don't pay touts.

all i can say is, if not for the presale, none of us would probably get any tickets at all. everybody involved in organising it should be thanked and cherished :) seriously, i hope there will be more presale opportunities come the us tour - i don't think i'll ever tire listening to Mr Cohen live...

Return to “The North American Tour 2009”