Suzanne film Query

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
altinkum

Suzanne film Query

Post by altinkum »

Yesterday I came across a dvd of a 2004 film called Suzanne ( I have had a quick look under the film/video section but can't find a mention of it ) It stars Richard Dreyfuss and Sondra Locke. The blurb states that it is based on the Cohen song. I haven't watched it yet so I can't give my opinion of it. Has anyone heard of it?
Merry Christmas and new year to you all.
Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Suzanne film Query

Post by jarkko »

It IS listed on the filmography page of The LC Files, at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/filmo.html
The complete title of the movie is The Second Coming of Suzanne.
This film was produced in 1973 by Suzanne Company and was shot in San Francisco and Sausalito. Written and directed by Michael Barry, produced by Ralph Burris and Gene Barry. Music by Don Caverhill. Starring Sondra Locke, Paul Sand, Jared Martin, Richard Dreyfuss and Gene Barry. Timing 1:22. Young actress encounters a hypnotic film director. Her role: to star in a crucifixion--which may be more real than she imagines. Winner of two international film festivals. Cohen's original version of Suzanne is twice on the soundtrack (during the first scenes and also during the last ones, when Suzanne IS crucified). Also another version of Suzanne by an unidentified female artist is heard.

I have the movie on VHS video but did not make through the whole movie -- I found it so uninteresting and artficial, really a child of its time, early 70's.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
altinkum

Re: Suzanne film Query

Post by altinkum »

Thanks for putting me straight Jarkko. I didn't think I had come across something you would not have heard of :) I still haven't watched it and judging by your description I don't think I am going to make much of it either, still at 49p it hardly broke the bank!

Wendy

Return to “Comments & Questions”