What will be the best RAH show, Monday or Tuesday?

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Ziyad

What will be the best RAH show, Monday or Tuesday?

Post by Ziyad »

Due to financial restraints caused by seeing LC 8 times on this tour, I have had to miss an LC gig in the city that I live in for the first time since 1974. The O2 yesterday (14 November) I was not too upset about - especially as I came the closest I will ever get to seeing Scott Walker live last night at the Barbican. But as for the RAH, I had to choose one date - I decided to go to Brighton instead of both RAH shows due to the 2 week gap.

So what night at the RAH?

Monday night and LC will be performing for the first time in many years at what must be a venue that holds many many memories for Leonard. Will we get an overcome troubadour playing encore after encore - I remember a concert in the mid-late 70's there where he played what must have been 10 encores for well over an hour and where he ended by thanking the audience, those outside who didn't come, the sun for shining, the moon, the grass etc. Now I'm not expecting that sort of emotion from LC but perhaps the RAH will bring back some of those memories and if so, it will be on the first night.

Tuesday on the other hand will be Lenny's last London show and for that it could be quite special. Maybe he will save a special surprise or two for the show.

Looking at the list of forum regulars attending the RAH shows, it seems that most have voted like me for the Monday night. If I was a 'jewish mother' - I hope the quotes fend off any accusations of sexism and racism in those 2 words - I would be fearful that I will be spending Tuesday evening thinking what if I was there. On the otherhand, the glass half full side of my character will be reliving the wonderful shows already seen.

On a final point, I note that only a few of us in the forum are in the arena, the rest are in the surrounding stalls. For me, there is no question, one needs to be as near as possible to the stage while facing it. If it was a standing venue as Glastonbury and the Big Chill, the mosh pit it has to be. If the arena at the RAH is the equivalent of the mosh pit, it's slightly disappointing that the vast majority of forum regulars have opted for the posh stall seats! Your argument that the forum special tickets were all for the stalls doesn't cut the mustard...

In conclusion, Monday night in the mosh pit for me. And what about you?
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
dynamiksdreamdebased

Re: What will be the best RAH show, Monday or Tuesday?

Post by dynamiksdreamdebased »

Ziyad wrote:
Tuesday on the other hand will be Lenny's last London show and for that it could be quite special. Maybe he will save a special surprise or two for the show.
:( :( :(
Hope you're jumping the gun here.....

I was just doing Tuesday, but in the end it had to be both.
Tuesday will be better though, maybe (if you're right about the final London show) he'll save "Hey that's no way to say goodbye" till the very end...
blithe, urbane and inebriated.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Hi Ziyad - I much prefer the stalls at the Albert Hall. The only good seats in the arena are the ones really near the front especially if people suddenly decide to stand and stay standing if you are in the seats further back because it is not raised you can't see anything.

The last times I saw Leonard at the RAH I had stall seats and the first time I saw him there in the early 70's I was only three rows from the front in the arena and the first two rows stood up obstructing all behind. No the stalls for me are where to be.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi Ziyad,

I'm on pretty much the same track as you, with all of this. I've only ever missed four of Leonard's London concerts (second Hammermith Odeon 1985, second Albert Hall 1988, and the last two night's O2s). Thus, I've been to sixteen London concerts including eight Albert Halls. However, due to a dire financial situation, I'll be missing Tuesday's Albert Hall (unless someone decides to give me a free ticket!). Like you, I've opted for Brighton instead (I'm taking a friend who lives there, since she has never seen Leonard).

Glad you got to see Scott Walker last night. I know that he didn't perform, but presumably he made a fleeting appearance? My first ever concert was The Walker Brothers in 1966, and I saw two of Scott's solo shows (or rather package tours) in 1968. I must confess I've only played "Tilt" half a dozen times and "The Drift" only once - even though I respect Scott staying true to his muse.

I've looked at Leonard's astrological chart, and I'm pretty certain that Monday night will have the edge - certainly in terms of intensity. I've no doubt that both shows will be special, though. For the first time ever, I'll be in the stalls for a Leonard show (I've always been front arena in the past). This time, I didn't know how to get arena seats, and would not pay over the odds. In fact, I was going to pass on this, as I'm in debt, but couldn't resist when there was still a great seat on here, the day after they went on sale.

All good things, John E
Ziyad

Post by Ziyad »

Hi John

Scott stayed true to his muse, and didn't make an appearance. I believe he was somewhere in the Barbican. My sentiments exactly re The Drift and Tilt, though the show highlighted just how good Scott's voice is because the best singers were the ones who sounded most like opera singers which made me realise that despite the difficulty in recent work, Scott still has an unmatchable voice. Interestingly neither Jarvis Cocker's or Damon Albarn's voice were strong enough. The choreography was very interesting and the show made me excited at relistening to both of the last 2 albums. But only after Leonard leaves these shores.

By the way, I got arena seats by going straight to the RAH website when the boxoffice opened - they don't play the same games that the O2/AEG/Ticketmaster do.

As for the stalls/arena debate, the teenager in me still gets excited in the Arena - maybe it's the fantasy that given the chance, those in the arena would find it easier to get onto the stage!!

Ziyad
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
dynamiksdreamdebased

How many times has he played the RAH before? Out of interest...
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi dynamiksdreamdebased,

Leonard's shows at The Royal Albert Hall are as follows:

Once in the following years: 1970, 1972, 1974, (Spring) 1976

Three times in 1988

Twice in 1993.

That makes a total of nine.

His other London shows were:

3 x New Victoria (Summer) 1976

3 x Hammersmith Odeon 1979

2 x Hammersmith Odeon 1985

3 x O2, 2008

All the best, John E
dynamiksdreamdebased

Blimey, had no idea what a "homecoming" it was

Cheers John E :)
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Hi Z.... mosh pit for me too and 17 rows back, but for the 3 shows I already attended I did end up at the front of the stage for his final encores.... so I will chance my arm again and make a run for the stage.... Never been in the RAH before so hopefully I can leave my seat if everyone in front decides to stand.
yhtrownu

Post by yhtrownu »

I think Monday in the Stalls (G, H, M or O) is a good bet. . .

I watched Goldfrapp from the front of the Arena, and it was a wonderful view, and audience participation was encouraged, and was great fun. On the other hand, I watched Feist from the back of the Arena, and there was so many heads in my way, I could barely see her some of the time, as the stage was quite low.

The stalls are hardly the luxury option, since they cost 10 pounds less than Arena seats, but I have chosen them because you get a really great view from the Albert Hall Stalls. I mean, the edge of STALLS O and G practically touch the stage, and the elevation guarantees that there won't be a sea of heads in the way.

Also, people really want to hear Leonard Cohen, not themselves. This isn't a Kaiser Chiefs style singalong, where everybody sings everything, at the top of their voices, with Ricky Wilson acting as a choirmaster, and where one "advantage" of sitting in the "mosh pit" is that you get to carry Ricky as he surfs over your head. I mean, come one, there is no "moshing" to be done at a Cohen concert. You'd be arrested. . . :)

As for the day, I picked Monday. Tuesday may be Leonard's last show in London (or not), but certainly not the last show in England (which may or may not be the Manchester show).

And ultimately, I find, for most concerts, it's best to go to the one where the most hardcore fans are congregating, as the reception is likely to be more rousing to the performer, who then channels that energy right back into the performance. This board suggests Monday has the greater number of hardcore fans (I include everybody here, obviously). :)

But for me, Leonard has had such a busy schedule, that my ultimate choice, to go on Monday, reflects my judgement that the 3 days rest he has had between November 14, 11pm, and November 17, 8pm will recharge that golden voice to deliver the most dynamic performance possible on his long awaited return to a venue he has electrified in the past. . . :)
Manchester, June 18 2008
Manchester, June 19 2008
London O2, July 17 2008
London O2, November 14 2008
Royal Albert Hall, November 17 2008
Mercedes Benz World, Weybridge, July 11 2009

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”